Lost almost half bankroll on a downswing

• 11 replies
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Man I know how you feel, my BR went from $165 to $104 yesterday and I felt I wasn't playing any different.

What I did notice was that I started to play scared, everytime I got dealt a hand I expected to get sucked out against. After a while this "playing scared" started losing me alot of money.

By the time I realized it it was late and I had lost 65 bucks, I decided to play 4 more 10 man SnGs to try and turn things around. With my realization I played more solid and won 2, can in second in one, and got bested on the bubble with the nut A high flush all in on the turn being busted by a 2 pair that caught a full house on the river.

I went to bed satisfied that I found out what was wrong, unfortunately it took so long and cost me alot of money.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      As long as you are using good BRM something like 30-50 for normal SnGs, something like 50-100 for turbos, (use the higher numbers for mid stakes).. iv had swings like that (from $300 to $185) as long as you are reviweing your played SnGs and making sure that you are making the correct moves things will eventually change.
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      :) indeed
      the worst part is that I should better stop playing the $3 turbo's
      and I know exactly what you mean with playing scared. I did feel it, but I was doing my best to do the right moves. I was looking at the 3 flop cards thinking 'thats interesting, how am I going to get sucked out this time'
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      imo you need to develop a lower limit for each session and ensure your BR doesn't fall below that... if it does, then stop playing and come back next time. Losing half your BR in one session is pretty bad buddy.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deVall3y
      'thats interesting, how am I going to get sucked out this time'
      lol I had a run in MTTs where I always lost to hands I had dominated in all-in situations... like AQ vs AJ. Consequently everytime I see a dominated hand call me my first reaction is exactly the same as yours... "interesting, I'm so excited to see how A5s will suck out on my AQ this time!"
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi all

If I start to play scared I leave the tables when playing cash games and do something else for a while, if I'm playing SnG's or MTT I go make my go make my self a coffee if I have enough chips and find this help as a quick break from the table help me when i come back. It give u a chance to evaluate how your play.

Hope this helps :)
      Bronze
      I have felt your pain, and I found a way to laugh.

When I shove in a SNG during the end game and I am ahead when called,
      I always ask myself which of his 2 cards will he hit? and I don't even bother
      asking if hell get it on he river anymore....

I laugh when it hits because the good thing about SNGs, is that 1 first place, and you made up for 4 lost games.

Just keep shoving right, and playing right, and the wins will make up for
      the suckouts and losses in time.

I was down almost $100 tonight in a 14 game session, and in the last couple of games I ended up even.

They swing and bounce and your BR resizes constantly, and the worst is
      long stretches of break even, like 100 games+
      which I am sure is nothing to the mega grinders here, but keep getting
      the game volume in with the strategy articles/videos behind your game,
      and you will find yourself richer in the end.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Went from 600 to 320$ last month I think.

I know how it feels... just don't be demotivaded and switch down a limit if you have to (I had to X( )

Anyways if you continue to play well it will come back.
    • SlowOne
      SlowOne
      Bronze
      It's so frustrating :( ...Began to MT few days ago after vatching helemaalnicks' video on 3$ SNG MT nere on PS(great one by the way) and I couldnt belive that MT is so easy until than. The only thing you cant control is LADY LUCK. I have lost countless 70-30, 80-20 and last 3 85-15-situations, I dont even watch coinflips anymore...the cherry on the top came today with AQ vs. AQ and, of course, opponent's flush. Few more of these and my keyboard wont hold up any longer :evil: .

I just needed to write it down :P .
    • RavForenzo
      RavForenzo
      Bronze
      This kind of crazy stuff does happen, ive developed a simple method to keep me sane. Next to me I have a little notepad, every time i get lucky, say my KK beats AA or I catch a queen AQ vs AK i make a little note, like wise if I lose to a 3 outer and get unlucky I score 1 point to the unlucky column. You tend to find that eventually it's all fairly close, or even you find you get lucky more than you get unlucky in the long run if you're making the right pushes with good ICM etc.

So for me every time I get bashed down I just take a look at when I got lucky, and it doesn't seem so bad.

Give it a try, works for me :D
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RavForenzo
      This kind of crazy stuff does happen, ive developed a simple method to keep me sane. Next to me I have a little notepad, every time i get lucky, say my KK beats AA or I catch a queen AQ vs AK i make a little note, like wise if I lose to a 3 outer and get unlucky I score 1 point to the unlucky column. You tend to find that eventually it's all fairly close, or even you find you get lucky more than you get unlucky in the long run if you're making the right pushes with good ICM etc.

So for me every time I get bashed down I just take a look at when I got lucky, and it doesn't seem so bad.

Give it a try, works for me :D
      You can also use Poker Tracker, It keeps alls your hands played, and you
      can review your sesions and you can go back at any time and see how many
      chips you have ever won or lost with any hole cards or even completed hands.

You can also quickly extract any hand and paste it to the evaluation section
      If you were not sure wether it was the right play or not.