[NL2-NL10] NL10 Preflop cointoss vs midstack.

• williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.90
      BB:
      $4.59

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:club: , T:heart:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, BB raises to $1.35, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.90

I put him on two overcards. would you guys take this coinflip, about 56% vs. 43% i guess. Of course, there's always chance he has a monster. Vs. midstack, worthed the gamble?
  • 4 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      BB might have thought you were stealing and 3-bet to protect Ax or 22-99 too. Be nice to have a decent hand count on him to get a read of his playstyle.

Im probably playing either 4bet-shove or call, bet-shove (on suitable flops, no AK). If they have JJ+ then so be it. The last thing I want to do here is fold and give the player to my left the idea that I can easily be pushed off my ORL by them 3betting.
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      I was pretty sure that he is defending with two overcards, so it was a matter of deciding whether i wanted to race TT vs. that.

But on the flop, I would have to fold if any A, K, Q, or J, turned up, and he showed aggression, right? I mean, those would all be hands within his range, and they would have my TT beat.

If I shove post-flop with no faces on board, then probably pretty low chance of him calling, and I wouldn't win any extra. He would only call a post-flop shove from me if he caught his pair with the overcards (or had JJ+), and then i would be beat.

So, unless I flop a set, I really don't see how i could extract more value on the flop.

As such, wouldnt' i be better off deciding to fold or shove preflop, knowing that i'm probably ahead? My only reasoning for folding is that it's still a cointoss, and for half a stack, I might be better off waiting for a better chance.

EDIT: As for table image, I was also thinking that. But in the end, I figured it might actually play to my advantage if he sees me as a weaker player as first. That way when the cards actually come for me, and I have better odds in this situation, I'm able to extract more value from him. Would this be a reasonable line of thinking?
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      If you think he is defending kinda light ( 2 overcards) the go for the 4bet and call a shove.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      How can you put him on overcards with 6 hands sample and no history? :/