This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 Preflop cointoss vs midstack.

• williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.90
      BB:
      $4.59

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:club: , T:heart:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, BB raises to $1.35, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.90

I put him on two overcards. would you guys take this coinflip, about 56% vs. 43% i guess. Of course, there's always chance he has a monster. Vs. midstack, worthed the gamble?
  • 4 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      BB might have thought you were stealing and 3-bet to protect Ax or 22-99 too. Be nice to have a decent hand count on him to get a read of his playstyle.

Im probably playing either 4bet-shove or call, bet-shove (on suitable flops, no AK). If they have JJ+ then so be it. The last thing I want to do here is fold and give the player to my left the idea that I can easily be pushed off my ORL by them 3betting.
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      I was pretty sure that he is defending with two overcards, so it was a matter of deciding whether i wanted to race TT vs. that.

But on the flop, I would have to fold if any A, K, Q, or J, turned up, and he showed aggression, right? I mean, those would all be hands within his range, and they would have my TT beat.

If I shove post-flop with no faces on board, then probably pretty low chance of him calling, and I wouldn't win any extra. He would only call a post-flop shove from me if he caught his pair with the overcards (or had JJ+), and then i would be beat.

So, unless I flop a set, I really don't see how i could extract more value on the flop.

As such, wouldnt' i be better off deciding to fold or shove preflop, knowing that i'm probably ahead? My only reasoning for folding is that it's still a cointoss, and for half a stack, I might be better off waiting for a better chance.

EDIT: As for table image, I was also thinking that. But in the end, I figured it might actually play to my advantage if he sees me as a weaker player as first. That way when the cards actually come for me, and I have better odds in this situation, I'm able to extract more value from him. Would this be a reasonable line of thinking?
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      If you think he is defending kinda light ( 2 overcards) the go for the 4bet and call a shove.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      How can you put him on overcards with 6 hands sample and no history? :/