Accidentally in FL MTT

• edd1e
      I accidentally entered a low buy in limit tournament at Party, (I normally play NL)

After a few hands of raise, re-raise, re-raise. I sat out and checked FL strategy on Poker strategy!!!

As you can probably imagine this improved my game immensly!

However I am curios about how I should play these early rounds, It does seem that there are a lot of suckouts, Even AA preflop must be down against two, three, four random hands. Should I just sit out and if so when is the best time to re-join? Is it worth playing only very strong pre-flop hands? Suggestions would be welcome.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I am reading up on FL and hope to add it to my repetoire!
  • 4 replies
    • Waiboy
      I'm only of little help I'm afraid.. FL MTTs don't get too much (read any) coverage here on to date (at least in English section anyway!!).

Try playing the Silver section SHC, playing post flop really tightly.

When the blinds increase I guess you then need to loosen up and start to raise your decent draws (ie OESD, FD) much more aggressively.

And don't be afraid to play way ahead / way behind (ie call down with top pair / weak kicker) on your more marginal hands (ie weak Ax type hands).. remember you are always going to get weak players trying to bluff (as you do in NL) with worse hands.

And remember your pot odds will be a lot better with the fixed raises in each pot... so try and play odds and outs as best you can.

Bit of a guess, but better than nothing I hope!
    • edd1e
      Thanks for the advice,

I think that with the standard of play at this level, there is potential for some profit. There is a good risk to reward ratio. I'll keep reading up on the subject.

Thanks again
    • drZenon

I dig this up because I'm intrested in playing in this type of tournaments.
      Maybe someone with experience will write about his working strategy.

To edd1e:
      Any success in fixed tournaments since your last post?

sorry for my english
    • pzhon
      I have done quite well in LHE tournaments, in part because I have a LHE cash game background in addition to NLHE (and other poker variants).

Raises and bets represent less strength in limit than in NL. You get great pot odds, and so do your opponents. Rarely make pure bluffs. Often call down with ace high (or better) in heads-up pots. Often raise instead of calling before the river if a call would be better than folding. Almost never cold-call or open-limp preflop. Sometimes fold trash in the big blind to one raise, but often fold trash in the big blind after a raise and a call -- even though it looks like you get better odds, you have to beat more people and trash doesn't hit often enough. Usually value-bet strong top pair hands on 3 streets.

Do not play very tightly early on. In theory, you are not that risk-averse, particularly in small pots, and you can play nothing but small pots in early levels of a limit tournament. In practice, there are lots of players spewing chips, and you should get in there and take some of those chips before the worst players bust out. Some players wanted to sign up for a NL tournament, and just bet/raise every hand until they are gone. Bad players turn most marginal hands into big winning hands, so loosen up instead of tightening up.