This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Turned $40 into almost $3,6k during August playing PLO

• Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      hey guys,

its been a while for me but i felt like sharing my poker journey that happened this month. obviously i have played before and the fact im without a job for now i thought it might be time to play some poker again. originally my plan was to go for $1k in august. i decided to start with around $300. at first i was trying to climb playing the 45man mtsngs on stars and add mtts. in the past i was always doing well but this time everything went so wrong. i was streaming as well for the most time. i think that and run bad kept me away from reaching the results i was hoping for when i started. i dropped to around $100 after like a week. motivation was really down and i wasnt sure what to do. next 3 days i managed to break even at least. i took a day off firguring out what to do and decided to try plo. ive played that in the past but my weak mindset was always holding me back at some point.

i took like $40 of the remaining money and gave it a shot. on august 12th it started and i played like 200 hands on plo2 just to see if i felt like doing it. i wasnt really motivated and i kind of wasted a lot of time although most of it i guess i was watching plo content. next day was better. i put around 1k hands of volume at plo5 and was up 5 buy ins at the end. money almost doubled :D . next day played around 1,6k hands and a nice heater.

next two days i put 5k hands of volume in and i was literally running like shit. i had reached $250 bankroll at some pointbut the run bad was always present. at the end of august 17th i was officially a losing player. i was kind of crushed honestly as i was almost running $250 under ev which basically were all my possible winnings. look here.

i was thrown back all the way to all the times i felt so crushed when trying cashgame. stuff like "i dont understand why im always so unlucky at cash game" went through my mind all the time. i was in the state again where i was convinced i shouldnt be a cashgame player. anyway, i kept grinding with some success i guess. i was slowly climbing.

with some $ from a chest here and there i managed to get to around $250. i decided to take a shot at plo25 as the games were super soft at the point. i played a huge session and finally the rungood started for me. in one session i managed to not only chase all the ev i was missing but even end up over ev after all the hands played. was a great feeling.

on august 21st i actually reached the $1k mark. i actually managed to turn $40 into $1k within 9 days, what a great feeling :D .

of course i kept playing. i did a lot of table selection and aimed for almost anything that looked really juicy. i always did content on the side, disussing hands and watching videos. at some point i kind of realised my style was really different to most regs. im playing 24/13 with 4% 3bet. at the start i was playing like 30/18 but quickly learned to tighten up on the micro stacks due to the big rake distribution. i would say a week ago i was mostly playing 21/11 with 4% 3bet while recently (plo50+) im more at 25/15 6%3bet.

august final result.

im obviously super happy. my mindset is still super weak. just last weekend i kind of threw away at least $700 after i went on a $500 downswing. made really stupid decisions. im surprised my mental state allowed to bounce back from it after all. ill take time for the last two days and find material on how to build a better mindset as i feel this is needed on higher limits where swings obviously hurt a lot more. i could post a lot of hands of really big whales that sucked out on me in the craziest ways imaginable. i even reached a point where i punshed myself in the head. silly i know but its hard to accept losing to someone playing 98/53 44%bet (not even joking he played like that for around 144 hands and was only down 2 buy ins in the end. he was even up 7 buy ins at some point which was super hard to accept). i kind of feel blessed that variance was on my side especially towards the end. ill try my best and to continue like that in september :)
  • 7 replies
    • pizdunar
      pizdunar
      Gold
      Fellow microstakes player here. Congrats on the envious results:)
      Do you mind recommending any of the material that you studied during this month(vids, articles, etc.)?

Anyhow gl and keep it up!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Wow!
      What a great result.
      Do you still stream? If so, where -- I'd like to follow.

Best of luck,
      VS'
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      most of my knowledge comes from watching phil galfond videos and jnandez videos. especially from jnandez i learnt a lot especially regarding preflop play and overall strategy in plo. should definately check out jnandez youtube channel.

i barely streamed this month because ive been really lazy and also scared because im running a decent amout above ev. ill take poker very serious though during the next two months, bought a second monitor for streaming as well. ill try to stream 6 days a week starting next month. wanna see if poker can still become a legit source of income and if ive matured enough as skill wasnt the problem whenever i tried to be serious about it. we will see though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Lasso
      ... bought a second monitor for streaming as well. ill try to stream 6 days a week starting next month.
      In '96 I got a second monitor at work, and about a week later I bought one for home, too.
      I came close to buying a third this week just for streaming.

My ideal for streaming would be to have poker tables on one monitor -- I can do up to 4 tables while streaming -- OBS Studio and support software on the second one, and chatty and more support software on the third.

Because of the computer problems I've been having, I run Open Hardware Monitor to keep track of CPU/GPU load, MB and CPU temperatures and certain voltages. I've tried a few other hardware monitors, but I keep coming back to this one.

Cheers,
      VS
    • Zire99
      Zire99
      Platinum
      I know you already admit that your mindset is weak.

But just look at your stats, you have ~20bb/100 (assuming PLO50), ~10bb/100 of those running over all-in EV. That's a pretty good heater I assume (no idea how soft the PLO game really is). And you still have the mindset as if you were running bad, getting sucked out on constantly etc..

Everyone knows the feeling, especially getting beat by stupid hands by whales. chasing their gut shots vs 2 overbets or something. But your 20(10)bb/100 comes from somewhere. Mindset probably should be your first priority at the moment.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      two is more than enough imo. so far i managed doing it on one. was even 11-tabling when playing tournaments. i will use the 2nd monitor to watch obs and show live session graphs which wasnt possible before.

my problem is that i cant really work om my mindset. the only thing i can do is to make playing as comfortable as possible. im pretty sure once i got like 100 buy ins for plo200 things will be so much better. you gotta get there though that will be hard enough.
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Gold
      look forward to follow yr development, have resently started playing PLO. Will check out the Jnandez video you recommend