This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] Facing river overbet with AA

• Cowley23
      Cowley23
      Bronze
      Looking for any input / thoughts on this hand; not sure if I like how I played it but can't think how else to play this hand except folding the river due to the fact 2NL players very rarely bluff overbet.

No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
      PokerStars
      6 players
      Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
      UTG - UTG ($2.09)
      MP - MP ($2.12)
      CO - CO ($4.08)
      BTN - BTN ($4.00)
      SB - SB ($1.79)
      BB - Hero ($5.07)

Preflop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is BB with A:heart: A:spade:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.05, 1 fold, SB calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.22, CO calls $0.17, SB calls $0.17

Flop: 6:club: 7:diamond: T:spade: ($0.66, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.23, CO calls $0.23, SB calls $0.23

Turn: 5:club: ($1.35, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.48, CO calls $0.48, 1 fold

River: T:diamond: ($2.31, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.15 (all-in), Hero calls $3.15

Total Pot: $8.61
      CO shows 8:club: 8:diamond: (two pair, Tens and Eights)
      Hero shows A:heart: A:spade: (two pair, Aces and Tens)

Hero wins $8.31
  • 12 replies
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver
      OTF: I would prefer it to be a bit bigger. It is a 3bet pot and you are 3 way. The amount of hands they would fold doesn't change much, but you get more value from the ones that do call you. I don't see any hands that would call 1/3 PS but not 1/2 PS as well. Maybe A6s or 75s, something like that.

OTT: As played I really dislike the turn size. Looks to me like. "Well, sometimes I have the best hand and I want to get payed a little bit. But maybe one of them has a set and I don't want to lose to much."
      You give hands like :Ac: :Tc: , :Ac: :7c: , :Jc: ,:Tc: , :Tc: :9c: , :8c: :7c: , pair+straightdraw way to good of a price. You want all these hands to pay the wrong price. Plus they still can hold Tx hands or JJ, 99, 88.
      Checking is an option as well, but knowing me I would go for around $0,90.

OTR: All the Tx hands got there. I would check and hope that he has hands like JJ, 99, 88, 7x. Hands that have SD value and probably xbehind. If he bets, I would fold. I don't see a lot of bluffs that could use this spot to overbet shove here..
    • Cowley23
      Cowley23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Netgames999
      "Well, sometimes I have the best hand and I want to get payed a little bit. But maybe one of them has a set and I don't want to lose to much."
      Quite a good read tbh. Say I go big on flop and turn trying to charge worse hands like what you mentioned. I.e.

Stacks:
      UTG - UTG ($2.09)
      MP - MP ($2.12)
      CO - CO ($4.08)
      BTN - BTN ($4.00)
      SB - SB ($1.79)
      BB - Hero ($5.07)

Preflop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is BB with A:heart: A:spade:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.05, 1 fold, SB calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.22, CO calls $0.17, SB calls $0.17

Flop: 6:club: 7:diamond: T:spade: ($0.66, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.33, CO calls $0.33, SB calls $0.33

Turn: 5:club: ($1.65, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.10, CO calls $1.10, 1 fold

River: T:diamond: ($3.85, 2 players)

CO now has $2.43 effective stack, 60%ish pot size bet left. What line would you take on this river?
      Tx got there but given the size of the pot I can't see x/f OTR, but like you say there aren't many bluffs. Would it be better to shove instead of x/c? As it gets value from JJ,99,88, maybe 7x which xbehind alot, or is this just folding out worse and getting called by better
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      I prefer bigger 3bet size pre flop, about 0.28. River is tricky, he just calls two streets, one possible hand what i imagine villain what beat you 10x, J10s, A10s, sometimes K10s.
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver
      OTR I would still x/f to a normal bet. A bet doesn't push out better or let's him call with worse. I think you will bet and way to often get folds from worse and calls from better hands. He can still have a good amount of hands that xbehind with you winning the SD.
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Bronze
      Bigger OTF for sure. It´s NL2, they will call you with worse ---- you wanna get value. River is a fold, as u said, overbets are rarely bluffs and this seems like valueheavy. Readless, fold.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      Bigger cbet OTF. Especially against two players.
      Bigger again OTT. They both called your flop cbet. I'm going almost pot here. Besides, the board just got more dangerous.
      I don't advocate checking here. If they bet hard, you'll naturally have the tendency to fold and I think this is very exploitable.

River is a really tough spot.
      You could throw the 3rd barrel, which would look extremely strong, and hope that he folds.
      The 2nd T on the board blocks a lot of the top pair hands he could have and that are consistent with his previews calls.
      There's not really much you beat he can call here with, so value is thin I think. I'd check as well.

I'm folding here to his shove.
      You were followed all along the way and now you get a shove right in front of your face. I'm putting him on an set. At the very least a pocket pair, and that's your best case scenario. Straight is unlikely given the pre-flop action.
      Despite this overbetting shove move look suspicious, NL2 players don't bluff this rivers.
      And he looks a decent player, not some maniac.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      flop is whatever
      turn is way too small
      on the river just check/fold vs standard opponents - they have no bluffs besides Ac9c Ac8c and they are only betting TX for value, probably not trying to turn 99 88 7X into bluffs because who ever folds Overpairs right?
    • TyCobb
      TyCobb
      Bronze
      How can we not bet river here? He shld ve much more JJ+ then Tx in his range. Even 88, 99 may find a herocall.
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Bronze
      Pre i would do the same, otf and ott i would bet nigger and lastly check/fold otr.
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Bronze
      Yeah, a right nigger would save it OTT :D .
    • Andrepipocado
      Andrepipocado
      Bronze
      just fold
    • Nochmals
      Nochmals
      Silver
      higher 3 bet