how tourney players make their money??

• SuperHandz
      SuperHandz
      Bronze
      I was just wondering how some of the more seasond tourney players make their money. I.e do they play sngo's for a standard rate or do they just play sat's to qualify for the larger tourneys later on. I'd guess you'd have to build your bankroll up to a considerable amount before using this approach but I'm just trying to get an idea on what I should be aiming for over the next few years. Whats the best way to spend your time?
  • 14 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      It depends on if you want to grind SnGs or grind out MTTs...

SnGs are taught very well here and there is alot of information to get you up to decent stakes if you are willing to put the time in. The way to make money in these are to get your game to a very high level and be able to play 4-8 tables....then work on improving your game & adding lots of tables..(ie. Boku can play up to 51 tables a time)

MTTs are alittle different there are many ways to play them, the only info I really got is from the MTT weekly coaching Grumler is very helpful and a pretty successful MTT player (not high stakes though). With MTTs you will have long breaks of not getting into the money/final tables BUT when you reach final tables the prizes are very lucrative and can make up for that long stretch of not cashing. (your goal is to win it all not just make it into the money)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      then work on improving your game & adding lots of tables..(ie. Boku can play up to 51 tables a time)

after boku everyone acts like sng's are just something you need to multi table a lot... I know a few really successful $100 sng players who have never played more than 6 tables... atleast never grinded more than 6 tables :D

Most of the mtt players at the start of their career play either 45 man sng's or 180 man sng's which fit their bankrolls...

and as for the saterlites I know 2 professional mtt players and neither one of them buys straight into the really big tourneys $200 - $1k tourneys that is... to these they play numerous saterlites.. they simply think this is much more profitable although they have bankroll needed to pay straight into a $500 tourney they much rather want to spend $200 to win a ticket or whatever and reduce variance that way really much... as for beginning mtt player saterlites aren't as Important I believe
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You can't call boku a SnG player... well, I guess you could, but he really plays multi-table sit'n'goes (18man, 27man, 45man), while an SnG usually refers to a STT (single table tournament). Atleast that's how I understand it..
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      it is true u can get to $100+ limits without playing more than 4 tables but it will take a while longer.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      How tourney players make their money? Multi-accounting, of course. JK :D

With regards to satellites, I've never given them much attention, but now I'm interested to hear how the top players approach them.

Let's say for example you want to qualify for the $750k guarantee, which is a $200 + $16 buy-in... what is the total combined amount of satellite buy-ins that is profitable to play before it ceases to be profitable?
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      tourney players make their money by winning tournaments.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      Sarcastic Answer? lol heres another

By making more money than they buy in? :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      pure gold :heart: :heart: :heart:

+1 would read again
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by nafar84
      Let's say for example you want to qualify for the $750k guarantee, which is a $200 + $16 buy-in... what is the total combined amount of satellite buy-ins that is profitable to play before it ceases to be profitable?
      $215 buy-in tournaments shouldn't be the ones that tournament player who makes real money from MTTs plays from qualifications ;)
      It's OK with $22k bankroll what I guess is not rare if we're talking about semi-pros or pros..

to your question:
      It depends on size of bankroll. If you have $5,000, it is OK to invest up to $50 per tournament, so e.g. 20+2 rebuys are not OK in that case. YOu should always look at your BR as first.

^ It's my opinion.. I don't play MTTs, but this seems to be logical approach - correct me if I'm wrong :)
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      SnGs r much more profitable and less varience than MTTS.
    • Bokkieboy
      Bokkieboy
      Bronze
      I think, it's the same as any sports person.

Some are good, some are not.
      But why are they good? They do it as a career. It is like a salesman, I can sell to you that i win, but do i? If i can read your play, yes, if i can not, maybe!

Even Tiger learned, the emphasis is learn! If the gift is there it will happen.
      But we all can still enjoy the game.

Maybe you are Tiger Woods, only you can decide.

GL,
      Bokkieboy
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ovechkin91
      SnGs r much more profitable and less varience than MTTS.
      Untrue... Mtt's are as profitable or even more profitable than sng's.. and this is coming from an sng player :)

but yea mtt's obv. have the biggest variance
    • neurotikki
      neurotikki
      Global
      Hello, im from finland site. I have played mainly MTT. Satellites are easy money source. Also few 5table SnG in day helps alot. And few MTT FT place help allways pretty nice. I play so many tourneys, last month about 420. about 50% to money, it easy play so mutch on sick-leave :) I play 70-100 bin BRM, because the variance is sometimes too sick. First -800d Then +1000d in couple days. And sorry for horrible english.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      You can't call boku a SnG player... well, I guess you could, but he really plays multi-table sit'n'goes (18man, 27man, 45man), while an SnG usually refers to a STT (single table tournament). Atleast that's how I understand it..
      Not Quite.

A SNG is a tournament that starts as soon as all the seats in that game have filled.

They can range anywhere from 9 to more then 180 players.

A MTT is scheduled to start at a certain time, even if it has the max amount
      of registered players,

The tourney will not start untill the time and date it is suppose to.