This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NL2 ---> NL5 jump

• diabloykiss
      diabloykiss
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I tried once playing NL5 and busted my entire bankroll just because of tilt. This was like 4 months ago, I quitted and last month I came back again with another mindset, setting milestones and sticking to them.

Today I can proudly say I managed to beat NL2 and got the BR to shot NL5.

Here is my graph of 30k hands in NL2

I started with 20$ and got now 117. Im planning no matter what to return to NL2 if I drop below 85$.

I have to say I've been playing pretty tight post flop and maybe a little weak when I'm not the agressor, folding a lot of turns to a 2/3+ pot bet if I just had TP with decent kicker, maybe thats too weak because lots of the time they just fire again with a draw or worst pair.
      For example I open MP with AJo, got 3bet from CO and flop is As7s3 and he fires, turn is 9o lets say and at this point im folding a lot if he bets big because I expect to be dominated by better aces and many times I call to just fold river but maybe I should.

What I mean is what kind of adjustments should I do to face NL5 because I expect it to be a little thougher and maybe I cannot get along with just playing for value. what about the busted draw 3bet barrel bluff, do we have to call sometimes here or it doesn't usually happen?

To sum it up just to share this and ask for some tips. Will be playing solid poker anyway trying to find with tables

Regards~
  • 7 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      don't overthink.
      "just playing for value" is reasonable, but you can go a step further. a good rule of thumb (that i just made up) is "play loose on small pots, play tight on big pots".
      there's plenty of autoprofit spots in blind stealing wide, cbetting wide and attacking checks wide (not 100%, but much more than you can get away with on higher levels).

AJo MP vs co 3bet -> just fold.
      someone 3barrels you -> just fold most of the time, most people don't have the balls, specially in a big pot (this still holds up to nl10 and even nl16 btw)
    • RemiRem
      RemiRem
      Silver
      Very solid graph for NL2. Can you show your stats? Positional? I had 15bb/100, but now got stuck for 10k hands, droped 7bb/100 overal. Cant figure our what I do wrong.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by RemiRem
      Very solid graph for NL2. Can you show your stats? Positional? I had 15bb/100, but now got stuck for 10k hands, droped 7bb/100 overal. Cant figure our what I do wrong.
      You don't necessarily do anything wrong. How big sample size we are talking about? If about 10k hand break even run cuts your winrate in half I guess the sample size is not huge. Before you can have some kind of an idea about your winrate you need to play closer to 100k hands and in some cases even more. Sometimes you can lose 1000 big blinds in just a few thousand hands and it is normal.

So, if we are talking about small sample size. I wouldn't be worried. On the other hand, it is also possible that you have been just running awesomely for a few thousand hands and now your winrate starts to set to a more realistic level. If I remember correctly, when I started grinding NL16 my winrate was almost 20bb/100 even after 15-20k hands but at the 60k hand mark it was at around 5bb/100 or something like that.
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Silver
      Honestly i dont see any big differences between nl2 and nl5, except that there are way less tables and therefore less fishy players available (at least in Portugal). Table selecting gets harder.

Nonetheless except ur €/100 to go down a bit.
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MLima1984
      Honestly i dont see any big differences between nl2 and nl5, except that there are way less tables and therefore less fishy players available (at least in Portugal). Table selecting gets harder.

Nonetheless except ur €/100 to go down a bit.
      Couldn't agree more, just take shots and see how it feels. Good luck with the grind! ;)
    • diabloykiss
      diabloykiss
      Bronze
      Yeah I'm now in NL5 winning at 6bb. Have reached 200 bankroll and in November if I'm over 250 I will shot NL10.
      I haven't got many hands in this limit so j want to grind a bit more. Got only around 30k
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Silver
      Originally posted by diabloykiss
      Yeah I'm now in NL5 winning at 6bb. Have reached 200 bankroll and in November if I'm over 250 I will shot NL10.
      I haven't got many hands in this limit so j want to grind a bit more. Got only around 30k
      Well done m8!

NL10 is just a bit harder, the fishes arent so fishy and way scarcer, but with good table selection you can make it.

I dont have much hands there though, in Portugal there are usually like 30 guys playing this limit and the majority are regs... so not much volume. :( (

BTW due to this limitation my MO is getting around 200€, transfer it to my account and repeat.

Have fun, and may the flop be with you ^^