This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Micro SNGs to build a bankroll?

• CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

What is the best way/format to build a bankroll in the micros these days?

9 player SNGs/90-180 man SNGs/Double or Nothing SNGs/MTTs?

I'm really interested in hearing your opinion.

Also: do you think is it a good strategy to play Double or Nothing SNGs starting from the 1.1$ win two of them, than play a 2.2$, win two of those, than register to a 4$, etc. ?

Thanks in advance! :f_drink: :f_cool:
  • 24 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would go for the 9 man SNG's, They have less variance and is less complicated than the DON SNG's. If I would play DON's you can better have a bankroll of 50 buy-inns than taking shots what you suggest.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • OldSchoolPapa
      OldSchoolPapa
      Global
      i think it depends on wich site you plan to play , the field you will be up against and stake you want to play in.
      On the risk/reward ratio side i think 180-Man SNGs are more profitable but you spend also much more time to play and wait the registrations to be filled.
      9-Sngs are pretty nice and profitable with less variance against the right field. On the lowest micros against a recreational field the variance increase way much more even if peoples tend to say it's better to play against recreative players .... well it's true and it's not depending on the volume of games you put in i guess.

Kind Regards,
      J-C.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Bronze
      Thank you for the answers guys!

I play most of the time on Stars and Party. On Stars mostly MTTs, and on Party DONs and 9 man SNGs.
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Bronze
      If you play in stars then why not 27-45 player sngs? Less variance then 180man and les regs then 9player.
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      Micro 9man turbo KO seem nice. Since last few weeks I played 415 of them so far and the biggest "downswing" I recorder was only 14 buyins :f_cool:
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Bronze
      Yeah, I play 9man SNGs, but mostly on Partypoker.
      I'll give a try to 27-45 SNG. I played some 180 players, because everybody said it is printing money, but actually I think it is pretty tough to reach the final table.

Thanks for your input guys! :f_drink:
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      SnG traffic on PartyPoker so very sad :f_cry:
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adasko99
      Oh yeah, that's very true unfortunately.
    • CptJokerFish
      CptJokerFish
      Bronze
      I have build a roll with HU Hyper Sngs.
      These games are super soft on microstakes.
    • Porter83
      Porter83
      Bronze
      I can recommend the 45SNGs on Stars. Especially when you follow the SNG Plan of pokerstrategy.
    • And3street
      And3street
      Bronze
      Thank you for this thread. I had the same question in my mind. For me I play everything depending on my mood. I can say that the biggest profit at micros I had playing 90 man KO at 1.5$ with 40 roi in 500 games. It really depends on your style and what you like.
      The advise given up is very good and I agree with everything was said.
      GL and stay focus on your path:)
    • DSharkP
      DSharkP
      Bronze
      Def 9-Man , 180-Man is gonna take a lot more to be a winning player, more variance, more aspects of the game consider, I think 9Man is what gives you the FrameWork for moving onto SNG Mtts
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      ^^ This
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Gold
      Yes, that´s a problem I just wanted to mention. I don´t know if it´s still possible to play only one format. Traffic on 9-mans is on many rooms usually poor (except for Stars and ......?). I played 9-max and 6-max Sngs for a while and switched to double or nothings and MTTs, one of the main reasons was too low traffic at the SnGs.

On Partypoker the traffic is way better at DONs and they got super soft. Events like Monster Series brought tons of fishes to the tables and now the DONs up to 5.50 $ are really super soft.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primrose6789
      Yes, that´s a problem I just wanted to mention. I don´t know if it´s still possible to play only one format. Traffic on 9-mans is on many rooms usually poor (except for Stars and ......?). I played 9-max and 6-max Sngs for a while and switched to double or nothings and MTTs, one of the main reasons was too low traffic at the SnGs.

On Partypoker the traffic is way better at DONs and they got super soft. Events like Monster Series brought tons of fishes to the tables and now the DONs up to 5.50 $ are really super soft.
      Yes, I agree. The DONs are pretty soft on party.
    • remete13
      remete13
      Bronze
      Yes it is possible to build a BR on SNG's. My vote goes to pokerstars turbo multi sng's (45-180man) because of the traffic. it depends on your multitable skills as well.... from about 16:00 until midnight you can find tables on every limit, up to 11$ 90man KO.
      These MTSNGs are not too long, 45mans about an hour, 180 man is about 2 hours (if you reach the final table).
    • EduardLeppur
      EduardLeppur
      Basic
      Hi very interesting as I have the same question on my mind. Do you beautiful people talk here about 9 man SNG regular speed or Turbo? The same goes for the 27 - 45 Man SNG Regular or Turbo Speed?
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      If anyone wishes, I can start a quick challenge thread on Saturday or so where I'll be turning a low double-digit bankroll into $200+ within April, hopefully its first fortnight :f_thumbsup: (Please post if you wish - if hardly anyone posts, I can't be bothered to write it.)

Which speed to play depends on your strengths and weaknesses, in particular, whether you're patient enough to wait for a monster hand and to make tight folds when facing aggression in a non-turbo (regular speed). Non-turbos generally involve a lot of postflop play, whereas turbos require more precise knowledge of shortstack preflop ranges with ICM taken into account.

I have little difference in ROIs between turbo and non-turbo 45-mans (30%-ish plus-minus 10% at stakes up to $1), maybe because my sample sizes are tiny and I ran good at turbos and bad at non-turbos, but another reason is that I tend to lose patience in non-turbos and pay off the nits' nuts in situations where a call seems justified in the Nash equilibrium but is certainly unprofitable against the actual population.

I find that recreational players are more disinhibited in turbos :f_thumbsup: , however, the downside is that there must be more regs per table there because the session length is more predictable when you only grind turbos at its end, i.e. stop loading non-turbos/turbos 2.5/1.5 hours before the intended session end deadline (it sucks to be stuck at a single non-turbo table when you were planning to end the session, even though the $EV you make per minute is still decent in this case because you're very focused on the remaining final table, which is a high-stake situation).

Anyway, the traffic is so low at non-turbos nowadays that you have to load at least some of the turbos if you want to make a living with poker. (There are enough non-turbo scheduled MTTs to make a living, however, turbo and hyper MTTs are attractive too in terms of $/hour EV, just don't load turbos/hypers at the top end of the range of buy-ins that you're grinding.)

A big disadvantage of STTs to me is that they have no synchronised breaks, so if I wish to take breaks every 2 hours, I can only keep loading turbo STTs for the first 1.5 hours of the session, and non-turbos for the first hour only. Again, this is not too bad because it pays off to be focused on few tables in high-equity situations (the bubble and beyond), but bear in mind that you'll be able to play fewer STTs an hour than MTTSNGs.

Knockout 9-mans are generally softer than non-KO ones because recreationals love the KO animation and vibe, though KOs are somewhat harder to learn.

18-mans have breaks every 2 hours, so they might be a good compromise if you don't get too tired and don't need hourly breaks, however, the rake is rather high there like in STTs. It's absurd that Stars charge 12% rake on $1.50 turbo 9-18-mans (and Party's rake is similar on 9-mans) when the one on turbo 45-180-mans is <=9% at $1+ levels (10% at $0.50, 8% at $0.25).

On a side note, NL Omaha Hi/Lo 18-mans are much softer than Holdem ones, the problem is that the traffic is very low at Hi/Lo. I mean, Holdem 18-mans are still beatable, but Hi/Lo ones are at the god tier of softness.
    • bookai
      bookai
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      If anyone wishes, I can start a quick challenge thread on Saturday or so where I'll be turning a low double-digit bankroll into $200+ within April
      Would love to see it as I've struggled at sngs for a long time. If it's one of the options, 6max turbos would be my favorite! Curious to see how you do at any format, anyway :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup: