Questions from a Boku wannabe :)

• Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey all.

Inspired by Boku's challenge I thought I'd try and give 18man turbo's a try. Just to be on the safe side I started with the $1.5+0.25. Went really well at first - came third in the first and won the second simply by following strategy. In these tournaments so far following the strategy means wait, wait, wait, wait - push or fold. So that means hardcore ICM training.

My question is if I should adjust the charts a little and maybe limp some good suited Aces like ATs+ early on like I limp the small PP's?

Or could these torunaments be more profitable if I get really good at ICM and just wait and push or fold?

The problem with the latter is that I often reach that state with 8-9 or even 11-12 players left. That's a long push or fold stage, which would give some very high variance (I'm not a fan of high variance :P ).

I played 8 of these so far and cashed in 4, so I think I'm doing decent. I'm just seeking some thoughts on them :)

Thanks for reading,
      Kimber88
  • 8 replies
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      Hi Kimber
      been doing the same experiment myself.
      I have played some with push/fold strategy and some looser and tbh there hasnt been much of a difference.
      Boku certainly went "off script" so to speak in early stages of some of his games but I guess that was limited by the number of games he was playing.
      I prefer the tight aggressive style so when not playing push/fold, if I play a hand I will play it aggressively. I have ditched playing suited aces, the times I lose with it far outways the hits. I will still play pp as long as its cheap.
      I know its a small sample but cashing in half the games you play is good, if you can keep that up you will be laughing.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Yea I'm on the lookout for some strategy articles/video's for these sng's, can't seem to find any decent (and free) material about 'm.
    • bodutzu
      bodutzu
      Silver
      whats ICM?
    • bodutzu
      bodutzu
      Silver
      got it, lol! :P
      Bronze
      I used to grind the 18 mans, and If you keep to the strategy, you will do fine.

As far as using the push fold charts, I would throw them out.

You should just download the ICM trainer and use it alot.

Every day before you play, try and do at least 500 hands on the ICM trainer.

You can change the settings so it only gives you hands in situations you need to
      work on and you can improve your identified leak areas specifically.

Once you have gotten used to the ICM trainer, you will find yourself adapting easily
      to situations and player types and table types and picking up wins alot more often.

Good luck.

*EDIT: I forgot the most important part. Keep track of how you are playing.
      You should be posting hands in the evaluation section when you
      are not sure if you made the right play. You can post as many as
      you want, and as long as they are 1 hand per post, you will get
      lots of answers. This helped me to even further adjust how I play.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      What's the payout structure? How do you handle the first part of the ITM stage?
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hi, i used to play the 18 man's quite a bit upto $10's n they're quite fishy coz of the bigger prize pool. Just play them like you would a normal sng, early stages you can play low pp's for set value but play tight mainly and let the donks ko each other. If you double up early it is usually good enough to see you to the final table but if you don't, when you reach the final table the blinds hit you less often so you have longer to wait for good cards. In a normal speed sng its usually around or past the bubble about an hour unless the table is playing really tight. If you have a medium stack at the bubble just wait for good cards to steal or push, coz theres more players you dont have to do all the work, wait till itm before you go for 1st. If your short stack just play standard icm to try get itm. Not sure on the exact payout but it is around 7xbi for 1st, 5xbi for 2nd, 3.5xbi for 3rd n 1.75xbi for 4th.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I grinded the 45 man SnG's for awhile. Just the $1 ones on stars, never moved up because of the bonus given on mansion. But I had quite a bit of success just following the strategy. Super tight at the beginning. and as the blinds get higher got super aggressive. Not stupid, just really agressive! Suited Ace's dont do much good. PP-> Sets get paid so often because they're things people don't usually see. Flush's are a bit more obvious and scare people away.