This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] QT vs BB defense

• zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver

I check the flop because it's a monotone flop. His check is standard and I took the opportunity to see a free card, once I have the Q flushdraw and a gutshot-straight.

Turn gives me a pair and completes some straights he'd defend with. He fires a big bet and once I have a lot of outs and position I decided to call. Not getting the correct price, but if I hit the flush I think I might get paid by another flush or a straight.

The river comes an ace and pairs thee board. It didn't seem a very dangerous card, but he fires a 2nd barrel OOP.
      I didn't hit my hand, I've top two pair, which is not that weak, but I decided to fold mostly because it looked like a value bet.

Any thoughts?
  • 13 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would most likely Cbet with middle pair and the 2nd nut flush draw. I expect you will win the hand often without a fight. As played it's good to know what kind of info you have on the villain of the hand. Against a decent player I would most likely bluff catch the river.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      Originally posted by SDK1987
      I would most likely Cbet with middle pair and the 2nd nut flush draw.
      If you're talking about the flop, I don't have middle pair.
      OTT he bets before I could act, so I couldn't cbet.
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      This is 6max, and i usually play full ring, but especially heads up pot i always cbet. You have got position and gut shot and flush draw, so you have got 12 outs this boars, and sometimes enough queen or tens, maybe possible 17 outs. I do not understand why you check this board.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      Originally posted by ToddBrunson
      This is 6max, and i usually play full ring, but especially heads up pot i always cbet. You have got position and gut shot and flush draw, so you have got 12 outs this boars, and sometimes enough queen or tens, maybe possible 17 outs. I do not understand why you check this board.
      My ideia was: I have a strong drawing hand, the board is connected and wet, so a bet here looks like value. It's very likely he's not folding here imo. If I bet the flop I'm starting to build a pot that may become too big for the hand that I have at the moment, despite the outs I have.
    • Pokamon
      Pokamon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zetozinho
      It's very likely he's not folding here imo.
      this is as wrong as it gets.
    • Andrepipocado
      Andrepipocado
      Bronze
      I think cbet on the flop is a good alternative, but I do not see Xback as an error. We have a lot of equity (12 outs) and in boards monotone the cbets tend to have more fold equity so I think cbet is a good idea.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      Ok, maybe he's not folding. But why would I want him to fold OTF? I may win a small uncontested pot but if I hit my hand I may get many more chips from him.
      I played like this maybe because I'm used to play on NL5 and NL10, where your opponents don't just defend the BB and fold against a cbet on boards like this against a BTN open raise.
      On NL2 I agree you may have more fold equity OTF.

Flop is discussed. I want to know how you'd play the turn and the river.
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Bronze
      I would cbet the flop everytime
    • aent4x
      aent4x
      Bronze
      I would c-bet OTF, call on the turn like you did, and OTR is very important if I have any reads on the BB, if his is an unknown I would call him for bluff catching.
      If he is a Fit or fold player, fold is better option.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      Yeah, turn call looks fine. River is a tough cookie, but we can call, we block some flushes and straights so we can bluffcatch here.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Gold
      I do like the check back flop indeed, even if there also are some arguments for cbetting, but as played you can't really fold the river. You have one of your best bluffcatch and you made the post that way.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      Thank you all.
      Raising doesn't make a lot of sense because we'll only be called by better hands.
      And my Q blocks a lot of the straights indeed, so I agree with calling OTR.
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      Since flop is already discussed I’ll share my thoughts only on the river. We don’t beat anything from his value range, therefore I would fold.