This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SNG STT 0.5€ Turbo, 4bb eff, folding QJo, SB vs BB

• vlzvl
      vlzvl
      Bronze
      PokerStars $0.44+$0.06 - NLHE Tournament (STT, 9-man) - 100/200 Blinds - 6 players

MP+1: 1900 (10 bb)
      HJ: 2595 (13 bb)
      CO: 3000 (15 bb)
      BTN: 4205 (21 bb)
      SB: 890 (4 bb), (35) VP:19 PFR:5 AF:1.0 3B:0 AS:0 FS:100 CB:0 FC:100 WS:20 W$:100
      Hero (BB): 910 (5 bb)

Preflop: (300) Hero is BB with Q :club: J :diamond:
      4 folds, SB raises to 890 all in, Hero ???

I came through a strange decision by me and investigated into an ICM calculator.
      In the particular case i folded my QJo instictively, thinking my good-looking hand is still too weak to call and certainly a push with, say, Q8o would do better as i have fold equity in the case.

I then checked an ICM calculator to find if my fold was correct. My reasoning goes like that:
      • My opponent had 4bb eff. stack, therefore he pushes with a lot of garbage
      • My opponent position is SB, therefore he pushes with more crap than usual
      • Better to push rather than call with such hands

I decided he will push with around 35-40% of hands, as i do not know much of him.
      I found than my hand QJo is still behind that range (45% vs 55%), which range looks like 22+,A2s+,K4s+,Q6s+,J8s+,T8s+,96s+,86s+,75s+,65s,A2o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo in Equilab. ICM equity comes negative here and therefore the fold is correct! Is there something i am missing here?

But how can i fold such a hand with those stacks?
  • 4 replies
    • viki332
      viki332
      Bronze
      I think that is a call. With 4Bb he is gonna push with a very large range - JQo is a decent hand. Even if you had 33% preflop means you have 1 out of 3 chance to win.
    • maniac
      maniac
      Silver
      he should push wide. I would only fold if he is a nit who really never shoved before. But even than is plus ev due to the odds. Its close because you cripple yourself if you loose. imo you are to tight if you are not calling this. If i knew you can fold this I would shove any2 in any spot a can find for under 15bb effective. Sucks to loose vs king high I know but that happens.

greets

maniac
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Based on his pretty aggresive stats I expect he would shove wide enough to make a call with QJo. Only against a nit I would consider folding this hand, but even than it's tough when you playing shallow stacks like this.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • vlzvl
      vlzvl
      Bronze
      Thanx for all comments, they were a great help.
      It seems i was thinking too conservative of giving 35-40% pushing range to an effective stack of 4bb, shoving from SB.
      I instead used pokerstrategy pushing charts (silver) which gave about 75% pushing range in the exact case which, obviously, makes an easy call by ICM. QJo is still not fist pump call, with just ICM +0.4 equity difference, while Q9o is breakeven.