This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] Understanding ranges helped me a lot this hand.

• diabloykiss
      diabloykiss
      Bronze
      I want to share my thought process AFTER I play the hand and ask if u find it BIAS because I know the result or is this good thinking. In play I didnt think that much and was trying to complete with my turn check.

So I'm going to try to detail it a little bit so I apologize if this will be too long.

I raise my AKs in range CO vs MP because it's premium hand and many times they call with worse aces or dominated suited brodways or just a pair 77-JJ (maybe also QQ). Sometimes I flat it but offsuit I'm almost always 3betting to isolate.
      The big blind pays my Raise here. I can narrow his range a lot because he's calling a CO vs MP raise so I assume he is set mining with almost any pair or has suited brodways till maximal T9s. I don't think he has an ace here.

The flop is not that great for me but as I'm IP I decide to bet to make them fold Jx and other low pairs. So the BB calls and here I think he got AQ, KQ, QT, KT maybe KJs or JTs looking for his turn backdoor FD. I'm discounting QJ altough possible I think he is raising that always to get value from my AQ, AA, KK, etc.

The turn comes with the 9h a card that hits MUCH hard my opponnent range than mine. That 9 helps my range 0. So the momment the villain checks its perfect for my check back IP trying to hit my draws and I can see a free card. I thought about betting it because I had got more equity but it would have been a terrible mistake as KT got there QT, QK has now draw, etc. [I have to say this was important milestone in my play to be able to recognize this spots and check understanding how cards hit different ranges and not just bet because I had FD to the nuts trying to put more money into the pot. I know its small thing but it represent a lot for my play].

The river comes with a prefect card for me and villain makes terrible mistake overbetting here looking for value. Its soo obvious he has KQ or KJ in this spot. Maybe KT trying to trap turn but definetely he has K and his size is just so bad. I'm never calling that with worse and I think he is always calling my shove so I try to get maximum value and make it work. He has to put 1.60$ for a pot of 5.5$ and only losing to AK. I think villain could bet there 40-60% and fold to a raise but I prefer in his spot a check/raise folding to reraise maybe? How would you play hand if you were villain in this river?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 20.65, 3Bet Preflop: 13.16, Hands: 93)
      SB: 153 BB (VPIP: 31.58, PFR: 26.32, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 19)
      BB: 194 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
      UTG: 137.5 BB (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 10.59, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 88)
      MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 17.14, PFR: 17.14, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 36)
      Hero (CO): 173.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:heart: A:heart:

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, BB calls 8 BB, MP calls 6 BB

Flop: (27.5 BB, 3 players) Q:heart: J:spade: 4:diamond:
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets 17 BB, BB calls 17 BB, fold

Turn: (61.5 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (61.5 BB, 2 players) T:diamond:
      BB bets 69.5 BB, Hero raises to 147.5 BB and is all-in, BB calls 78 BB

Hero shows K:heart: A:heart: (Straight, Ace High)
      (Pre 76%, Flop 31%, Turn 34%)
      BB shows Q:spade: K:club: (Straight, King High)
      (Pre 24%, Flop 69%, Turn 66%)
      Hero wins 344 BB

Thanks for reading !
  • 3 replies
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Silver
      OTF against two players and with that board a cbet is almost never folding the two of them. The Q and J hit their ranges and that's why.

Turn is a check. You pick up the nut flushdraw so you have a lot of outs to the river.
      Semi-bluffing here after his call to your 3bet and you cbet OTF is not a good option imo.
      River is a fresh breeze to you because it gives you the nuts and hits his range once more. Here it's all about getting his chips in the middle.
      A big bet is the best option. He has a lot of hands he can call you with here. Overbetting is fine imo, but I'm going around pot here.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      hand is played fine (flop is close, if we cbet it can be slightly smaller), pretty good thought process overall.

as villain on the river, the hand is too weak to check/raise, but too strong to check. the river brings 4 to a straight so value is limited, they should probably bet somewhere around 1/3 to 2/3 and strongly consider folding to a raise, they can get cry-called by some pot controlling 1 pair (AQ, AA. KK is a split but it's less combinations) but you also have a lot of AK in your range that takes this line. check/raise is WAY too optimistic, mostly split and self value own vs AK
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Against 2 players I would often check behind in position on the flop. It's tough to get 2 players to fold. Especially in a NL2 game and you have straight and backdoor flush outs that could improve you hand. The rest of the hand seems standard as played.

Cheers,
      SDK1987