This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

UPAY4DINNER - Bankroll Challenge

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hello forum!

Introduction:
      At this stage most of you will know me to some degree but let's start with a brief introduction!

My name is Gary, I am 34 from the Rep. of Ireland. I am a part-time poker player, I have a full-time job as a retailer and I have just completed a degree in Retail Management through my workplace. It took me three years in which I let my poker stuff take a back seat but now I am back and back with a bang!

History
      I've been playing poker since 2006, I started by playing home games with friends (won my first one and became instantly hooked. From then I've played most varieties of poker, SNG, MTTs, Cash, mixed games. You name it, I've played it!

I worked for PokerStrategy.com for many years, to begin as a voluntary moderator before being paid as a SuperModerator and at one stage I was HeadAdmin in the English community. My username then was HollyMichelle13 but after I finished up I changed it to UPAY4DINNER which was my poker alias at most sites.

I've had decent successes both offline and online. Offline I won a seat to the Betfair Live Poker Event in Cork worth $650 for $5.50. I didn't win the Main Event or cash but I did take down a side event (Chopped for €1,100). I haven't played any offline since mind you, haven't had time or bankroll but maybe I will in the near future.

Online, I've had some decent scores, the pick of the bunch being a 2nd place finish in the $11 MicroMillions for $5.2K. Have had lots of FTs since for $1.8K, $1.2K and a $2K third place on partypoker.

I've returned to the game in recent months/weeks and I've begun streaming on Twitch and I am now taking on a bankroll challenge that is hopefully going to consume my life for the next 365 days!

Challenge:
      I am taking a tiered approach to my challenge but the headline factor is turning $22 into $2,000 playing SNGs and MTSNGs.

Tier 1:
      $22 to $220 playing $1.10 SNGs on party to begin, adding $2.20s when bankroll is north of $125

Tier 2:
      $220 to $550 playing $2.20 SNGs on party to begin, adding $5.50s when bankroll is north of $400

Tier 3:
      $550 to $2,000+ playing $5.50 SNGs on party to begin, adding $2.50 180s when bankroll is north of $800

Why the challenge?
      Having been away from the game properly for three years my game has suffered. Don't get me wrong I was never perfect or close to being perfect but this is an opportunity for me to go back to basics, learn the crush the game properly, study hard and become a better poker player.

Before my degree I was a solid winner in the $2.50 180s but I spent most of that roll on family life, buying bits and pieces for the house we bought and stuff like that. This is time to start afresh with a new bankroll and I have no plans to use winnings for anything else other than my poker games!

What happens if I go broke?
      Legit question as I'm only starting with 20 buyins. It shouldn't happen but you never know with poker variance. If it does though, I will reset bankroll to $22 and will start again!

Schedule:
      I am going into this with minimal expectations. Volume on party maybe an issue as SNG traffic isn't super hectic. Maybe it will explode when players notice a new Irish FISH at the tables!

Initially, my focus will be getting my strategy right, TAG poker with strong emphasis on push/fold ranges.

My hope is to play a minimum of 60 games a week for the first month and then I hope to add more tables as things progress although that will remain to be seen depending on how things go.

Updates and streams:
      Ideally, I will update with weekly results (most likely on Monday mornings)
      Streaming in the beginning will be minimal as my focus will be getting my strategy right and the pressures of streaming will take away some of the concentration levels required to play the game optimally.

I do hope to stream games every Thursday, this will also incorporate other games (Thursday UK/Ire bounty freeroll on party; GG Poker Freeroll and then my SNGs)

Launch:
      My journey will begin tomorrow live on Twitch from 8pm Irish time. I will also be choosing the winner of my birthday giveaway during this stream so if you have entered do pop in to see if it's your lucky day!

Apologies for the looooooooooong post but I felt it was necessary and I hope to see you all soon around the forum and in my Twitch chat!

Peace, love, empathy
      UPAY4DINNER
  • 109 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Placeholder
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      GLGLGL and GL :f_thumbsup:
      Subbed :f_drink:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      This is going to be exciting. :f_drink: Go ship 'em, Gary!

Best of luck with the challenge, I'll see you in tomorrow's stream.
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      Go go go, Gary! Let them fishes pay for your dinner!

*meeeh, not the first one posting here* :f_ugly:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by metalmonkey80
      GLGLGL and GL :f_thumbsup:
      Subbed :f_drink:
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      This is going to be exciting. :f_drink: Go ship 'em, Gary!

Best of luck with the challenge, I'll see you in tomorrow's stream.
      Originally posted by Primrose6789
      Go go go, Gary! Let them fishes pay for your dinner!

*meeeh, not the first one posting here* :f_ugly:
      Thanks all. Very excited about this now.

Will be starting off slow tomorrow and not running too many tables just to get a feel for the games etc.

Will also play the Thursday bounty freeroll for UK/Ireland players on party.

See you then!
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Gold
      Good luck to you, Gary, will be rooting for you:f_drink:
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Good luck in challenge.

How is party sng blind structure these days? When I played there previously years ago there was pretty absurd blind jump from 100/200 to 200/400 or something like that which suddenly made stacks really close to push/fold depth from playable one. Hopefully they have it way better now :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Good luck in challenge.

How is party sng blind structure these days? When I played there previously years ago there was pretty absurd blind jump from 100/200 to 200/400 or something like that which suddenly made stacks really close to push/fold depth from playable one. Hopefully they have it way better now :)
      Thanks man.

10/20 3
      15/30 4
      25/50 5
      40/80 10
      60/120 15
      80/160 20
      100/200 25
      150/300 25
      200/400 25
      300/600 50
      400/800 50
      600/1200 75
      800/1600 75
      1000/2000 100
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      So, it´s 9 p.m. CET?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by Primrose6789
      So, it´s 9 p.m. CET?
      Yes, or thereabouts. Might be slightly after :)
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      Cool. I´ll be there! Looking forward to it! :s_thumbsup:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver

It's not quite $22 but it's close! My account is in Euros so it was awkward :)
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      So, from 9 p.m, I should register to all the 1.10 $ 9max? #justkidding

:mdr: :mdr:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      12 games tonight to start out, won 1 and 2 x 2nds were the 3 cashes I had

-$3.60 on the session.

Had a few spots where I definitely made mistakes so I'm going to go over those between now and my next session on Saturday

Big thanks to all who railed, chatted and helped out during the stream :heart:
    • Primrose6789
      Primrose6789
      Silver
      The stream was very good, you were running pretty bad. Those turbo 9-mans can become very very frustrating due to variance and tons of fishes who call with crap and get there. I would recommend you a BRM of 100 BI for the 1.10 $. For those turbos you really need 100 BI BRM, they are extremly swingy due to fast blind structure and many all-in-situations.

So I would go from 100 $ and grind up without the risk to go busto. :s_thumbsup:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Thanks Prim, will just keep reloading if I have to and cross my fingers that it won't be necessary :)

Just reviewed 10/12 games and I'm happy with my overall play. Found a few shove spots that I missed and a few hands that I overplayed due to what I am going to call for now "tournament brain"

Have one particular hand that I want your opinion on and will share on Skype later today.

TBH, I found it difficult to stream, play and interact especially as this is the learning phase so I will minimize the streaming until the bankroll goes a little bit more North.

I finished 6th in the freeroll and now have a $16.50 ticket that I must use within a week so it was afterall a profitable session!
    • Thiamtan
      Thiamtan
      Bronze
      work hard and let the card's be whit you
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by Thiamtan
      work hard and let the card's be whit you
      Thanks man!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hoping to get a decent session of games in tonight in two different sessions.

The second of which I will be streaming!

Hoping to start around 10pm UTC but may be a little later than. Will have my SNG grind as well as a $16.50 MTT so that I use up my ticket before it expires!

Hope to see some of you there!