This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Dubious River-call

• Mascherano95
      Mascherano95
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.02 PL Hi FAST (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 371 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 4.08, 3Bet Preflop: 2.51, Hands: 574)
      SB: 142 BB (VPIP: 8.34, PFR: 3.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 811)
      BB: 95.5 BB (VPIP: 25.58, PFR: 9.30, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
      UTG: 65.5 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 10.71, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
      MP: 541.5 BB (VPIP: 23.83, PFR: 16.58, 3Bet Preflop: 6.81, Hands: 1,238)
      Hero (CO): 128 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:diamond: K:spade: J:spade: A:heart:

fold, MP raises to 3.5 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, fold, fold, fold, MP calls 8.5 BB

Flop: (25.5 BB, 2 players) 4:spade: 3:spade: J:club:
      MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: (25.5 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      MP bets 22 BB, Hero calls 22 BB

River: (69.5 BB, 2 players) K:heart:
      MP bets 51.5 BB, Hero calls 51.5 BB

MP shows 5:spade: 4:heart: 6:diamond: 7:club: (Three of a Kind, Fours)
      (Pre 41%, Flop 39%, Turn 80%)
      Hero mucks T:diamond: K:spade: J:spade: A:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Jacks)
      (Pre 59%, Flop 61%, Turn 20%)
      MP wins 167 BB

I dont give him AA as he would 4bet em pre. I dont give him all too many 4's aswell because from MP you dont play too many dangler combos.

Then I see him having 7654 RAAINBOW...

Anyone able to fold this turn or river?
  • 5 replies
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Bronze
      Hard to fold as 4 or sets are unlikely as played, although you have a missed FD.

Just dont checkback this strong hand otf against plo2 heros, too fancy and missing value and ability to play big pot or control the size of it ott IP.
    • Mascherano95
      Mascherano95
      Bronze
      yea flop check-back is a mistake in hindsight ..

I play very cautios against player with reg stats
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      When you check the flop, you tell your opponent that you don't have a really strong hand. So that turn is a good for him to give you pressure (if he understands that AND if he is capable of doing that). For that, I would just bet the flop as it makes your life a bit easier on the turn and river. Against aggro raiser you can check it back if you are not comfortable to get it in on the flop (which you should against aggro raiser anyway), but then you have to call the turn. River is more about how much you know about your opponent river aggression. Is he capable to make that bet with missed draw/bluff against the overpair/draw that you are repping?
    • Mascherano95
      Mascherano95
      Bronze
      It is part of my strategy to check-back toppair hands otf to make 2pair hands ott/otr to strengthen my turn/river range in lines where flop got checked through.
      As calling-ranges of villain often is overpair/2pairs it is also nice to check-back this kind of medium-strength hand. I only do it against regular with solid preflop stats, but sometimes it turns out that though they have solid stats their ranges can be totally out of wrack.

I dont have speicifc river aggression stats in my hud it is quite simple yet.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Top pair, Khigh flush draw, 2 overcards in 3bet pot. J43 flop. I know that most of us would be dancing around the table while getting the money in there. You dominate opponents calling range, and will get value most likely on the flop and turn. So checking back that strong of a hand you give up a lot of value. If you get calls on the flop and on the turn, the turn bet would be almost 3x more after flop bet than what it would be if you check the flop and then bet the turn.

I understand the idea of checking back medium strength hands. But in a simple way those are hands that have decent equity but aren't strong enough to stack off. I don't think this hand qualifies to that category. This is a stack off hand in 3bet pot, SPR 5.