Up and down, over and over..

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      It seems that when I double my money on pokerstars, which I have today, it drops down to only a few dollars more than what I started with.

How can I train myself to be consistent, no matter what emotions are running through me?

It seems like I'll sit through 400 hands, go up 10 dollars, and lose 8.
  • 13 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      My advice below will probably be the opposite to what everybody else will tell you i.e. 'when you are on a good streak keep playing'

What I find is that when I'm on a good streak I get a little overconfident and become a bit too loose with my starting hands and take more chances................so when I'm say $10 up I take a break, then sit down again with my original stack size - i.e. without the $10 winnings. I find starting from stratch as it were keeps me focused.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      That's what I've been trying to do, set myself a goal for the amount of money I want to make in one session, and then stop as soon as I reach that goal. ;)

Doesn't always go to plan though.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi the only goal I set my self is to play the best poker I can.
    • tookie130
      tookie130
      Bronze
      Originally posted by themagpiespg
      Hi the only goal I set my self is to play the best poker I can.
      Dont we all?
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      To follow my own advice I had to stop playing after 5 hands yesterday........sat down bang bang bang bang bang the fishies threw their $$ at me, stacked 3 of them. I was up 108BB/100 after 5 hands........went and watched TV
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      use BRM
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I do use BRM. I play ring games. I'll go up 5 dollars or so, and lose it again, break even, etc..
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Standard..

Go down a BI, go up 2, go down 2 (last session)... etc. etc.

Take a 25k hand sample size and look at it then.

Single sessions don't matter that much.

I never set money goals for a session. Its better to set hand goals or time goal or something. Of course with stop-loss limit and tilt/cooler limit etc.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Regardless of money wins/losses just try to do your best when you're faced with a decision. That's the idea behind hold'em. I don't remember who said it but "It's all one big session!".
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Well today was a good day. :) Set myself a goal to top my bankroll up to $30. Just reached it then so I'm happy.

So far I've tripled the money that I've deposited, which I didn't think I would personally be able to do.

See you at the tables!
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      I do use BRM. I play ring games. I'll go up 5 dollars or so, and lose it again, break even, etc..
      what BRM are you using?

it sounded like your BR kept doubling and dropping back again, which is impossible with normal BRM
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      what BRM are you using?

it sounded like your BR kept doubling and dropping back again, which is impossible with normal BRM
      Because I'm playing ring games only as of now I'm playing by a little BRM I kind of made myself. I'll buy in for $2 on the NL0.01/0.02 games.
      Sometimes I'd make a profit of $10 to lose that profit and go back to what I bought in for, that's the up and down part I was talking about.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Good that you decided for NL2 and BSS, its the best way to learn (but SSS is better if you just want fast money without too much hassle). As you are a beginner, I would suggest you Use 30BI Rule (Your Total BR divided by 30 = your buy-in) and start adding to your BI's by one dollar as your BR grows. This will stop make you think abou your short term loses as you go down by only small porton of your BR when they happen ( and you are very likely to make plenty mistakes, but thats exactly what you want as you improve with every single one of them!)

Set time for your sessions, e.g. I play 6hours then I quit. And THEN check your br.

This will be impossible for you now, but when you will become a brilliant player you will completely ignore your BR, or just check after a session.
      When you lose money don't tell yourself 'Fuck I lost money' Tell yourself
      'WoW, I got outplayed or sucked out, how can I avoid this in future?'

Automatically post losing hands where you entered a situations with negative equity (Your chance to win the pot was lower than money you put in the middle relative to the pot) to forums.

If you don't like the hand converter , you can do it like me and post hands to http://www.liquidpoker.net/ and use Pokerstrategy for articles and forums (Just don't go there with Shortstack, you will get crucified).