This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Challenge.. I play poker 2 "different" ways.. maybe this is more common than not?

• meeppl
      meeppl
      Basic
      In a nut shell.

So when I'm a bit tired.. bored or playing on my phone I play really well. When I sit down to focus on a game and spend more time calculating odds or looking more in to how I'm playing each hand I lose a lot more.

I know it's easy to say.. you were relaxed or didn't over think things. I can understand that, but realistically how do I start to condition myself to play more consistently? I tried playing low/micro games and tournaments trying to figure it out but I can't.

Is this common?
  • 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hmmm,
      You may be observing an aspect of risk/reward balance.
      There is a point at which a player doesn't really care about losing, and therefore is able to take the risk necessary to gain the reward.

I have a book by Doyle Brunson -- just a bunch of anecdotes from "the good ol' days", not a true poker book.
      In it he says (this is a paraphrase, not a direct quote) -- "To succeed, you must want to win, but not care if you lose".

If you are risk-averse, you avoid spots where the reward is great because the risk is great.

Example:
      You hold KQo on the button.
      Both you and the Big Blind have 200 BB stacks in a cash game.
      You raise, BB 3-Bets
      KQo is in your 4-Bet range 100 BB deep -- do you still 4Bet at 200 BB?

I think I wandered off topic and fell in the ditch.

I'll think about this some more...
      VS
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Bronze
      And what sample of hands are we talking about here? :)