This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] AA vs huge stack

• zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze

The villain is totally unknown.
      My line is pretty good imo. Standard 3bet and cbet. Turn is blank so no reason to stop. When he puts me all-in, I just felt something was not right. Such a big stack trying to make me push... my gut told me to call. Tough spot for sure.
      Ideas?
  • 14 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      this is poor betsize planning as you leave yourself with 55.5 left in a pot that's going to be 153.5 on the river. it's almost forcing you to bet/call an OESD against a raise.
      you need to be good about 22% and you probably get it, but not by much.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      How would you do the bet sizing here Tomaloc? I did bet 2/3 of the pot OTF and 3/4 OTT. Should I go smaller? Where?

1/2 OTF and OTT? These days I see more and more pros either min betting or overbetting. I haven't figure out what's the point on those sizings, but I play at the micros :f_thumbsup:
      I've seen Negreanu himself, the king of this s..t, saying that if the smaller bet fullfills the purpose, than it's the best option :f_drink:
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      I like the sizings here as I wouldn't plan to fold my precious AA. Maybe I'm a bit of a Gollum at NL2 :P

Sizings is a complex topic depending on the link between the different textures and the players' ranges so we can't tell you in a few words when to bet small and when to overbet. Even at NL2 having those weapons in your arsenal would be great though, if maybe not to use them in the exact same way.

PS : please don't ever mention "Naniel Degreanu" in a positive light if you want us to remain friends. That livetard is a losing player for at least the 3 last consecutive years (he admits it himself) and survives in the game only by pokerstars' sponsoring, meaning he gets paid to tell us that "more rake is better".
      The online community should just spit at him (and sometimes does).
      Find yourself a better suited hero, there are many many better and less hypocritical players nowadays.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      bet pot flop and overbet ship turn. easy game!
      pot on turn would be 80 with 92.5 left.

on smaller sizings: they do the job really often
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MyFloXyBabY
      PS : please don't ever mention "Naniel Degreanu" in a positive light if you want us to remain friends. That livetard is a losing player for at least the 3 last consecutive years (he admits it himself) and survives in the game only by pokerstars' sponsoring, meaning he gets paid to tell us that "more rake is better".
      The online community should just spit at him (and sometimes does).
      Find yourself a better suited hero, there are many many better and less hypocritical players nowadays.
      Ok, just remove his name and put Phil Ivey, Fedor Holz, Justin Bonomo or the one you admire the most :f_tongue:
      Or Kevin Hart ahahahahaha
      Now seriously, I'm curious to know how you would bet this AA hand.
      If there's one chapter I need to improve is definitely in understanding bet sizings.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      Originally posted by zetozinho
      Ok, just remove his name and put Phil Ivey, Fedor Holz, Justin Bonomo or the one you admire the most :f_tongue:
      Or Kevin Hart ahahahahaha
      Let it be Saint Mathew Janda then, the glorious sacred prophet of NLH ! Or Alexandre Luneau if you want a performing player and not a theorician.

Now seriously, I'm curious to know how you would bet this AA hand.
      The 2 streets plan proposed by Tomaloc seems cool. I'm not quite used to those but it's a theme I'm working on since Lemon taught me how it worked well on some spots (basically 3bet pots OOP with 2 high cards on the flop).

If there's one chapter I need to improve is definitely in understanding bet sizings.
      It can become awfully tedious as in the details it requires working with a solver.
      If you want a good introduction to the basic ideas of this approach you can read "NLH for advanced players" by genius author Matthew Janda. It contains hand quizzes where he asks and answers what hands would be good small bets and big bets on given flops and what given turn cards would be good to overbet etc and it's rather well explained.
      I don't understand why people don't talk more about that book. Maybe it's because (pro) players already good with solvers don't really need it and most other players are too bad to get to that level so it targets medium skilled players who are not that numerous ?
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Bronze
      Think of what hands villains range contains, then decide what u wanna accomplishby betting. Eg, do i wanna fold A high? How much is enough to fold this part of villains range? (In case of a high it will usually be small sizing).

To the hand. My thought process would be, how to get value. Given ppl being stations at micros, I like pot otf and shove ott. As played i have no problem with it either.
    • la55i
      la55i
      On this board texture I think I would often go smaller than half pot. But now that you guys mentioned the 2 street strategy, I think it could indeed work. As Mozzek said guys are stations at these limits and you could get more money with that line.

Btw, I like Negreanu. Probably not the best player out there at the moment but I like him :) Just like Floxy likes me, not because I'm a lot smarter than him, but because I'm just awesome in other ways.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      I liked you because I thought you weren't Negreanu's dog or pet bear or whatever ! Now everything is in jeopardy.
      "More rake is better", come on ! :facepalm:
    • la55i
      la55i
      Okay that more rake thing I really don't get. But otherwise I think he has done some good work. He is one of the reasons why I got so interested in poker. I watched some poker show he was in and I thought the guy was nice and funny and I kept on watching :f_biggrin:
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      He may not be the best in our days, but you can't deny he is one of the best of all times.
      He knows the game like the palm of his hands. But indeed, some of the concepts he used to apply profitably don't work so well against the modern days player.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      It's easy to get though : he is being fucking paid by pokerstars to justify their politic ! It's really his job. He's not by the players' side for long, he's in their pocket.
      Once, asked about the pro players that were risking to lose their jobs because of the rake increase and of the suspension of the supernova elite status that was supposed to be a promise, he answered "fuck the pros" and he insisted on making his girlfriend say it out loud too.
      That guy is nice and funny ? Well, once I thought so too... just like I once thought Lederer and Ferguson were. Then I changed my opinion :D

One of the best of all times my ass. Never was the best at anything, never will be. Please be real. I can recognize a player is top tier even when he's an asshole (Phill Hellmuth, which I hate too, was arguably among the best a long time ago and has kept his ego since but not his skill), but in Negreanu's case there is nothing of the sort to be recognized. It's just one of these numerous cases of a sponsored livetard made looking bigger than he actually is by TV shows and whatnot.
      The proof is that when he dares to play online he's bumhunted by any decent reg lol.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MyFloXyBabY
      It can become awfully tedious as in the details it requires working with a solver.
      If you want a good introduction to the basic ideas of this approach you can read "NLH for advanced players" by genius author Matthew Janda.
      I'll give a look to that book when I have some time. I think it's good to start understanding this.
      I've never worked with a solver and, to be honest, I don't think I need to spend a hard time on this subject while playing at the micros. I'll focus on it when I start playing higher.
      Thanks for the advice fellow.
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Silver
      I bet the villain is one of those whales that, for some reason, starts to win every single hand he plays, no mater what they hold. I hate those.