This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Bumhunting my way to a house. - Bankroll Challenge

• bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm Brad. I'm an old regular round here but I've been away for the last few years, focusing on other things and just playing live poker for fun.

I have been playing this year and I have some ambitious goals at the moment, so I'm going to join that "Get Rich or Die Trying" challenge for a bit of extra fun.

(Update: all number are in New Zealand Dollars, which are about $0.66 USD now)

I'm currently playing a mix of $40NL - $200NL and MTT up to $200 on an un-sanctioned (by pokerstrategy) site, so I won't mention the name here (and no, not going to share it by PM either, sorry). My starting roll is $4500, which I earned by skipping up and down the stakes, playing whatever was available and soft, table-selecting so intensely that some days I'd fire up the site and just sit out and then do something else instead.

My guiding principle is that breakeven play is the enemy and if don't think I have a decent edge I just stop.

It's worked really well this year, I've been working full time and just playing a little, but my win rate has been pretty close to $100/hr (with really shitty tracking) - I've withdrawn a decent amount besides my starting roll for this challenge.

To be honest, the main reason I adopted this super selective strategy on an obscure site full of fish is that I really don't have a good grasp of deepstack poker and have been struggling to find ways to improve my game.

Strategy-wise, the first half of this year was dedicated to plugging all the sloppy leaks in my game, which I think I did a good job of, but I hit a ceiling once I'd fixed all the obvious stuff. From May until now I've had to take a few months off playing for personal reasons. During which time I just studied up on the mathematical side of the game and found a whole nother dimension of shit I don't know about poker. So I'm excited about improving a lot now.

I hope that in 2019 poker will be over half my income. I'm aiming for a bankroll of $50,000 by the end of 2019. Which will pay for part of my first house. Maybe that's ridiculous, but if I can keep my winrate up it seems possible.

Another goal is to play a couple of high stakes live tournaments. I think online is where the convenient money is, but live poker is really what I love most.

Let's see if this is possible.

Peace out!
  • 19 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      seems great. good luck!
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Gold
      Good Luck with yr Challenge, this should be fun to follow
    • pizdunar
      pizdunar
      Gold
      Good luck!
    • NutshellD
      NutshellD
      Basic
      Following!
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for following and wishing me luck, I appreciate it. And Tomaloc, it's good to see you're are still around.

Review of yesterday's rough session
      Yesterday was rough. It had been a good week, I had a go at 200NL "because the table was fishy" (i.e. feeling in god mode lately + tired and stressed = find an excuse to gamble) and I dropped almost $800 in an hour, just playing 1 table of 200NL and 1 of 100NL.

I want to get into some of these mistakes I made.

Firstly, I have a two-tier poker strategy, one is the standard technical poker strategy, the other is all about poker lyyyfe (life).

The life strategy is far more important, because if I get that right I'll always be improving at poker, so it'll take care of the technical strategy, but I'll also be generally happy and "free" (mentally). I'll always make mistakes in both, I guess, and yesterday I certainly did. I would say I played a C-game in my life strategy and a B-game technically.

My poker life strategy goes like this: I write down the top few things I need to work on right now and everyday I try to do those things and add one to the totals. If I miss one I subtract 1. If I feel like I've fully got something programmed in fully I take it off the list and add something new. Here's the list:

- Review this before playing - x 9
      - Ask - Is there anything else I should be doing now? Am I playing for the right reasons? - x 7
      - Don’t rush to make money - just play, enjoy and improve. - x 0
      - Being +EV is the number one consideration! - x 6
      - Stick to good starting hands in all positions unless there is a reason to change - x 8
      - Review this after playing - x 9
      - Review at least 1 hand per session - x 8

The first and biggest mistake was that I played after a bad sleep, when I was unhappy, had shit to get done outside of poker and had planned to take a day off. - I was playing to procrastinate.

The second mistake was playing my highest limit when I knew I wasn't having a good day.

Then I made a couple of technical mistakes while playing hands (too loose and spewy in big pots).

The real positive is that yesterday, despite being stressed, running bad and tilting, I reviewed my goals before the session and went over my new 3b/4b ranges before starting. While playing, I stuck to good starting hands in all positions maximised EV while playing by sitting at tables with fish, and getting up when they left. I then reviewed the session after (which included a lot of swear words).

These are all things I wouldn't have done 12 months ago. I think I'm almost ready to take the starting hands item off the list and replace it with something about 3b/4b/5b ranges.

Today I'm gonna take a break, listen to some music, learn some Chinese and clean up the house.

Hope you're all running good!

Peace
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      This weeks update. I'm a day late because my internet went down (stuck behind the great firewall).

So this week I played 8.5 hours and made a total of: $116,

I cashed in a $200 tournament with decent overlay yesterday for $1000, which saved the week.

My internet was terrible yesterday.

I was in a good HU match against a real loose and aggro player.
      I put in a big bet in a decent pot and the internet cut out, I was crying but it came back long enough to see he folded, thankfully.

I wanted to play a lot more, but there's basically nothing more tilting than bad internet and I could just sense impending doom.

Update on the challenge is as follows:

This week I played 8.5 hours, mostly cash but including 5 small field MTT's
      Profit: +$116
      Roll: $4616
      Goal: $50,000

I hope the using hours for the Get Rich or die trying thread is OK. I can't use a HUD, so I'm not sure on the number of hands.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi Brad,
      Nice blog and subbed :f_drink:
      Looking forward to reading how you get on in the coming months.
      Also will have a listen to your music on band camp later :f_thumbsup:
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      tyty

How far back did you have to dig to find the bandcamp stuff? Do you have a ridiculously good memory, or are you just a fan?
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I updated my intro to clarify: These are New Zealand Dollars I'm talking about, not USD, so the $50k is actually about $33k USD. Tempted to go for $50,000USD instead, for consistency. I'll think about that, but it seems much harder.

To poker:
      On Tuesday I sat down at, 1 table of 100NL and one of 200NL - ridiculously fishy tables at the moment, an equal number of fish and weak regs, plus the odd strong reg, plus me.

Had Wednesday off playing to work on some HU cbet/check-raising ranges on dry flops, definitely a lot of room for improvement there. I realise I pretty much have two categories of hands facing a check raise on dry boards: Very strong hands, and "what the f*** am I supposed to do now" hands.

I found it so stressful because I was constantly having guess everything. I was much more prone to tilt because whether to bluff, bluffcatch or fold was determined mostly by how I felt that hand. - So it would change a lot based on how I was running. I guess I was still able to win because other people mostly have the same strategy with weaker hands, and I usually just play weaker players who make much more obvious mistakes than that.
      Hopefully with a bit more work I can tighten up this area of my game.

On Thursday I sat at one each of 100NL and 200NL. Again, so so fishy. An example:

200NL table - 5 handed. (4 callers isn't common, but I should still probably up my raise size)

SB 154bb Small Blind - massive LAGfish limp/calling or raise/calling almost every hand and gettin' loose postflop too.
      BB 110bb Big Blind
      Bradomurder(hero) 130bb Was dealt :3s: :3h:
      Cutoff 215bb
      Button 38bb

Bradomurder(hero) Raise 3bb
      CO Call 3bb
      BU Call 3bb
      SB Call 3bb
      BB Call 3bb

FLOP 15bb :As: :5s: :3d:

SB Bet 7.5bb
      BB Fold
      Bradomurder(hero) Raise 20bb
      Cutoff Fold
      BU Fold
      SB (sb) Call 12.5bb

TURN 55bb :As: :5s: :3d: :8c:
      SB Bet 130bb
      Bradomurder(hero) Call 102bb

SB Showing Pocket Cards :5h: :2s:
      Bradomurder(hero) Showing Pocket Cards :3s: :3h:

RIVER :As: :5s: :3d: :8c: :5c:

Easy game.

Dunno if I'll get a chance to play any more this week with work and stuff. But I'll post the roll update on Monday.

Peace.
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Gold
      Good luck with yr quest, hope that you will meet a lot more 5-2 Off suit guys at the tables
    • MrNiceGuy313
      MrNiceGuy313
      Bronze
      Good luck!

Nice hand. Also much interested in more difficult hands at those limits:)
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrNiceGuy313
      Good luck!

Nice hand. Also much interested in more difficult hands at those limits:)
      Yeah you're right, I should pick out some harder ones. It's been a bit challenging to get the hand replayer working on that site. I think I might actually have to get them to email me my hand histories weekly or something.
    • gregwolves
      gregwolves
      Bronze
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      "Judge your day by the seeds you planted, not the fruit you harvested."

This is one of favourite quotes right now.

This week I didn't plant many seeds. I only played for 4 hours, and I only did a small amount of work on my game (dry flops heads up).

I did harvest some good fruit though. Profit of $1058 from 2 really rungood sessions. And shit, a man's gotta eat.

I want to get my volume up to 10 hours a week. But not sacrifice evaluating hands and spots.

To summarize:
      This week I played 4 hours, mostly cash but including 2 small field MTT's (and a VIP freeroll)
      Profit: +$1058
      Roll: $5674
    • Constantin11
      Constantin11
      Platinum
      Hey, this seem like it will be a very interesting blog.

Btw, you mentioned that you playe in crypto, but from what I knew back then, there weren't many sites, and the traffic was horrible.
      Did that change since last year?
      I sent you a friend request. Maybe you can mention the site there. I'm actually curious to see if this thing takes off.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Constantin11
      Hey, this seem like it will be a very interesting blog.

Btw, you mentioned that you playe in crypto, but from what I knew back then, there weren't many sites, and the traffic was horrible.
      Did that change since last year?
      I sent you a friend request. Maybe you can mention the site there. I'm actually curious to see if this thing takes off.
      The traffic is still horrible. Like just 1-2 tables run at most stakes most of the time. That's why I have to sit out at times and pick my times to play.

I'm not keen to share the site via Pokerstrategy. I want to keep this blog going and start getting more involved here again so I'm just not keen to risk that.

Always happy to get a new friend though :f_love: :f_love:
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I found a 4 leaf clover on Monday. First time in my life, despite growing up on a farm and looking for them all the time when I was a kid.

It was crazy, went to the park with my wife and walked up to a patch of clover. As we approached it I said "we should find a 4 leaf clover today" then when we got to it I jokingly said "there's one!" and pointed to a random spot on the ground. My wife looked and I was actually fucken pointing right at one.

Crazy shit.

Anyway, going through these hands I'm finding SO MANY mistakes. I've only got time to post one today.

Number 1: bvb with newish player I don't know well, seemed like a kind of bad LAG, seemed to be barreling a lot.

Sb raises to 3bb, I call with :Kc: :Qh:

Flop comes :9h: :5c: :2d:

sb bets 1/2 pot, I call - standard right?

Turn: :9s:

Sb bets 1/2 pot, I go into the timebank then call again. I think he must be polarised AF here if he is a bad reg like I think, if he's checking his decent Ax and low pairs then I'm good. (Now upon review I think I should fold, but it's kind of close with his small bets.)

River: :8d:

Sb bets 2/3 pot Again I tank, then call. Based on exactly the same turn reasoning. This one I think is quite bad, if he's barrelling the gutshots they all either got there, or made a pair

What's your range that ends up calling the river here? Edit: After evaluating it again I make it AJ+ and any pair. Seems loose but to be unexploitable I think it's gotta be around that loose.

So I think my hands a fold on the turn

sb shows :Js: :Tc: , hero wins 56bb

So there it is. As I said, I'm making so many mistakes. But at least I understand what a lot of them are now. Before I took this last break I didn't really know what I was doing wrong, I was playing a lot of MSS to simplify the game, and tournaments with overlay, just to make money. But now I'm feeling pretty good playing BSS as long as I'm table selecting.

Happy days,

Brad
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Week 3:
      Played 10 hours this week including 1 small $50 tournament, which I shipped for $280 profit, and 2 VIP freerolls. 10 hours was my goal, so I'm happy with that.

My play started to get hella loose in this morning's session. All these adjustments I'm making are obviously starting to become too much for my brain to handle.
      Was going to grind another couple of hours today but I might have to do some damage control on my game instead. Solidify all the ranges I've been working on and take a break. Then come back stronger tomorrow.:f_drink:

Week 3:
      Played 10 hours
      Profit: +$736
      Roll: $6410
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Gold
      Nice profit, keep up the good work👍