This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] How to play on paired board.

• Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      Can I have more value?

Should I have here c/r range (OTF, OTT)?

[converted_hand][hand_history]Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $5.75 (115 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.59 (111.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.78 (135.6 bb)
      MP: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      CO: $5.28 (105.6 bb)
      BTN: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: J:diamond:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, SB folds, Hero calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26) 8:club: J:club: J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.42) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.42) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BTN calls $0.30
  • 7 replies
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      The answer is yes totally =)
      You could 3bet pre for starter. And as played you could x/r that wet flop !
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      OTF a call is standard even against a bet of that size imo. Raising is an option as well but I don't think you're going to be called very often in this board against the BTN (some FD's IP might call it, but if he completely missed is not going to imo).
      Why do you check OTT? Intention of check-raising?
      That would not be a bad play indeed, but you always have to consider that he might check-behind. I would only check-raise here if I knew he double-barrels frequently.
      I prefer to donk OTT (protection and obvious value). If he raises, I think you can shove it confidently.
      River is a standard value spot.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      Really weird reasoning here zeto, you think we can't raise flop because he won't call often enough, but if we call flop and donk turn, then he will ? ?(

Anyway it's really important to deny equity on that type of texture so I maintain a check/raise flop is best. There are lots of draws we want to bluffraise with so we're happy to back it up with some strong Jx.
      And I'm surprised by the preflop call, even if AJo is a supposed to be a mixed strategy with solvers in real life I expect most players to nearly always 3bet that combo.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MyFloXyBabY
      Really weird reasoning here zeto, you think we can't raise flop because he won't call often enough, but if we call flop and donk turn, then he will ? ?(
      You're probably right. You check-raise OTF and he 3bets it's a easy shove. If he calls you can be sure he has something so you can extract more value OTT. Besides you protect yourself against a club or a 9, T, Q.
      Didn't really think straight about this, I've leaks like this in my game as a matter of fact. Sometimes I'm passive when I should be agressive or vice-versa.
      I think this a situation where you just want to ship it asap.
      If you decide to play like he did, the check OTT makes some sense in fact, either to check-call or to check-raise. But I prefer to bet this turn either way.

Thanks.
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      Yes, defenetly. C/r flop cause I want to bluf here too, good.

But if we have board like 6-J-J rainbow. It is totally dry. I think, I don't have c/r bluff range here. OTT, I can c/r on good cards which open FD example. But otherwise I had to c/c, right?
    • MLima1984
      MLima1984
      Silver
      I think a 3bet preflop is mandatory, the same goes OTF, reraise his ass.
    • MyFloXyBabY
      MyFloXyBabY
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Willy411
      But if we have board like 6-J-J rainbow. It is totally dry. I think, I don't have c/r bluff range here. OTT, I can c/r on good cards which open FD example. But otherwise I had to c/c, right?
      You can develop a x/r bluffing range on this flop exploitatively versus villains that tend to overcbet a lot (and they are numerous) but that's all indeed. We have quite the range disadvantage here all in all (villain has all the OP and more or less as much Jx but with stronger kickers).
      It's already a pain to defend enough by only calling so raising is often out of the question.