How to play this exactly

• tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Well I got a AK, which is my at least favorite hand to play. I have lost so many times playing it....

So I was in the first early position so I raised 4BB which means .40 on NL10.

Then there was a rais behind me, so I got reraised. Now is it right? Am I reading the table right that I have to go all-in on this one.

Well I went all-in and this came out.

I lost to KK because these were the cards on the table:
      QJ4Q3

(sorry I don't know how to post hands)

My question is, is my play right or not? Because this is not the only time I have lost in this way and I am >-50% from the starting capital :( and it is SSS that I am playing, that is called "the winning strategy". I made it a "loosing strategy" for me :(
  • 26 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hang in there! You made the right decision, and if you keep playing SSS to the letter you will be a longterm winning player, which is what it's all about! If want you any specific hands reviewed you should post them in the " Sample Hands Short Stack Strategy | as of Bronze "
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Thanks for those kind words. I really needed it, but yes I am running out of money...

I have been playing five days now on pokerstars NL10 and I wento from $50 to now 18.25.

So I have only few days left, and I really play strict be the rules...
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Drop in limits if you have too. Don't feel like you HAVE to play .05/.1 if your bankroll doesn't support it.

I had to drop to .01/.02 and rebuild my starting capital, but I did it and so can you.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by tonnek
      Thanks for those kind words. I really needed it, but yes I am running out of money...

I have been playing five days now on pokerstars NL10 and I wento from $50 to now 18.25.

So I have only few days left, and I really play strict be the rules...

Pokerstars can get VERY tough for SSS if you run into the wrong table.
      If you played me (DoC.LemOn) Than you had to have a very rough time as I always chat about the gayness of SSS with others. And many people are SSS aware and will at least not play you, if not steal your blinds all the time.

Try to find the tables with highest Players/flop possible, 40%+ is your goal and stick to the chart.

Although if I was you I would really switch to BSS NL2 and start from there. If your downswing will continue you will lose all your money SSS NL5 (Now you HAVE TO AT LEAST MOVE DOWN NL5 with SSS!!!!!!!)

I played BSS from NL2 straight away. Its a very though ride, but what you learn there will boost your future career by a LOT.
      Just go to NL2, buy in for $2 and play the hands that are in SSS chart only at first, gradually adding more and more hands. (Dont play on flop like SSS though ;)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36

Pokerstars can get VERY tough for SSS if you run into the wrong table.
      If you played me (DoC.LemOn) Than you had to have a very rough time as I always chat about the gayness of SSS with others.
      I enjoy doing this too. Had a great night one night with a fellow BSS who was talkative as well, we spent hours bagging everyone who sat down with less than a full stack.

Its not true, but its fun to stir SSS players by saying things like "You know why people play SSS? Because they dont know how to play poker."
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      LemOn36: Thanks for the advice and yes I think I remember you, and I sucked big time :) You say moving down to NL2, but there is one problem on the lower limits. It is not allowed to come with 20BB on the table. The minimum is higher, so that is not they way to play SSS.

You say I should try BSS on NL2? I gues I will try it, but I really need help on that. There is much I need take in count with BSS. Want to help me? Coach or something? I would appreciate that very much. I really want to learn poker and I want to stick playing it. I said to myself, if I loose all my money I am gone.

Jaissica: I don't want to argue about "gayness" of SSS, but I wanted to start playing poker and I was told about this site. The first thing one learns here is SSS and they say one should play SSS at the beginning to understand the game a bit. That is the reason I play SSS and yes I don't understand poker, neither do people who freshly start, but somehow you must start right? I hope all of you could give me some tips to improve, and if it is BSS then I will try BSS. No offense right?:)
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      SSS is great for a start. However if you've already dropped down to $18 I would suggest you reread some articles and post some hands to make sure you're not doing anything wrong.
    • chiseller
      chiseller
      Bronze
      18$ is still way enough to get back on track. As someone has already said, move down and if you are not allowed to buy-in with 20bb switch to BSS.
      I myself have just started to play again after a 2 years break, thanks to pokerstars who gave me a present of 5$. Soon to quadruplicate it ;)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Of course Tonnek :) The point is to annoy people and put them off their game a little bit. Perhaps get them cranky at you and make them play a few hands that arnt on the chart.

Alls fair in the poker war :)

SSS is an excellent way to learn to play poker and I would recommend it to ANYONE i knew that was starting out.

Unfortunately it is a fairly high varience as you are essentially waiting for a strong hand range then shoving it. If you are unlucky it is quite possible to blow the $50 seed money trying to play NL10 SSS without misplaying a single hand, its only 25 BIs after all.

I dont think moving to BSS is the answer. I think you need to continue with it on SSS NL10 and consider your deposit options. You cant afford to be in the situation of having 9 BIs and having to be scared-money with them; you need to be able to shove in a 55% situation without being concerned about if you win or lose, only that you made the right call.

Which poker site did you get seed money on? That can make a big difference. Im suprised you cant SSS on NL5- and would say look into other platforms if you decide to consider a $50 re-deposit. Ask around about NL5 minimum buyins and general fishiness. Titan for example NL4 minimum buyin is 25BB, which is on the edge of playable SSS and probably a decent place to learn.
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Fongie: Well posting hands, what does it mean. I play strict by the rules and I asked a friend of mine on hands that I am not sure, but I played them correclty. The problem is, I hardly win big, because if I rais mostly people fold. When it sometimes comes to a showdown I have lost it so many times hands like AA or KK. And could you tell me, how can I post a hand that I have played on pokerstars?

chiseller:This is just confusing me and kind of making me mad, you have nearly quadrupled your money and I have lost nearly everything. You say change to BSS and others say stick with SSS it will come back. Well who to listen to and what to do.... Confusing...

Jaissica: Thanks again for the answer... I am kind of confused now, one say moving to BSS and others say to move on with SSS. To answer your question about where I got the money from. Is from here as I signed here and passed the quiz and yes I am not willing to invest money to this game, I am playing it for fun and just for fun. If I loose it all I loose it, but I thought SSS would keep me in game for quite a long time.
      I play at pokerstars, and I tried to go to a lower level, but as I said, there are limits in the minimum byu-ins.
    • chiseller
      chiseller
      Bronze
      Well, I'd strongly suggest you keep playing SSS but since this doesn't seems to be possible any more - without 'breaking the rules' - you either switch to BSS and move down, ignore the BRM or deposit. I wouldn't do latter one either.
      Ignoring the BRM in your current situation isn't the best option in my opinion, but it's your decision and it might work out very well!

Your call buddy ;)
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      well I will spend few days re-reading all the articles and keep playing SSS, if I loose it all that's it :)

Or maybe I open an account in some other poker site and come back to pokerstars when I'm do know something about poker :D

Thx for the advice... I go now reading and hopefully learning something I missed...
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Than you had to have a very rough time as I always chat about the gayness of SSS with others.
      At least we are making some money :P

And many people are SSS aware.
      On the lower limits no one is "SSS awere" and if they are SSS still have mathematical advantage. Of course you can not play basic SSS and to expect to beat higher limits...

If not steal your blinds all the time.
      Let them come :heart:
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      KukkiwonBG I think you are confusing platinum SSS w/ advanced play capacity with robot SSS bronze/silver who struggle to follow the SHC, much less know what to do about the big stack on their right who is raising from SB every single hand :)

If good BSS pays attention to stats and picks out robot SSS they should be able to milk the SSS's blinds and avoid ever paying the SSS off. A 5/5/x/100 guy is a guy I am not calling without AK/QQ+, but a guy I will lean on every single chance I get. Heaven would be two of this person on my left and two loose fishy bigstacks on my right.
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      I want some heaven too :rolleyes:
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      I just wanted to say to you, that I have spent some time reading and watching all the bronze level stuff.
      I have played two session now and I am recovering from the losses. There is a long way to get the back where I started but I just wanted to inform you... I am smiling again :)

I guess I did overlook something last time, I hope this will get me back on track now...
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Good to see you are straight back on the bike Tonnek :)
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Yeah, just don't let it get to you.
      you made a +EV move so in the long run it will pay off, just don't let bad beats tilt you, as it has many other (including me!) haha
      good luck in the future :)
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      DecMate: What is EV? sorry, I don't know all the acronyms :)