$20.45
      BB:
      $5.35
      UTG2:
      $8.60
      Hero:
      $4.55

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , J:heart:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 3:heart: , A:heart: , 7:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.40) Q:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.40, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $1.00.

River: ($3.20) T:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.00, Hero folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.20

I realised now that I should have bet flop to build up the pot. Is my turn reraise ok? And river card I didn't particularly like, but should I have called river? Any aces, straight and two pair has me beat already and considering he called my reraise and bet on river suggests at least a two pair, no? Thanks guys!

p.s.: I play a variation of SSS. I have enough chips so I'm not always forced to commit to hands and it enables me to play properly, while embracing most SSS concepts.
  • 6 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey rick,

Your variation of SSS is a little confusing. I am compelled to suggest you should choose either SSS or BSS. By creating your own variation which stands in between both strategies, you'll never get the full advantags of each. Playing mid-stack is really not worth it because you are pot-commited to soon with too many bbs and you do not have a big enough stack to play looser as in BSS.

Besides, both SSS and BSS were developed and improved by very experienced players over years, so why try to reinvent the wheel?
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dandycal
      Hey rick,

Your variation of SSS is a little confusing. I am compelled to suggest you should choose either SSS or BSS. By creating your own variation which stands in between both strategies, you'll never get the full advantags of each. Playing mid-stack is really not worth it because you are pot-commited to soon with too many bbs and you do not have a big enough stack to play looser as in BSS.

Besides, both SSS and BSS were developed and improved by very experienced players over years, so why try to reinvent the wheel?
      Hey buddy, thanks for your response. I've played SSS to start but the reason why I didn't like it is because you're almost always committed to the pot even when you've missed the flop. I feel more comfortable with a bigger stack, but not so big to over expose myself to risks involved with BSS. I understand that both are created by experts, and appreciate their efforts of course. But I believe everyone should adopt their own style of play to suit their needs.

Any advice on this deck? Thanks.

Regards
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      again, look at what I said in your other thread.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rickydaprince

Hey buddy, thanks for your response. I've played SSS to start but the reason why I didn't like it is because you're almost always committed to the pot even when you've missed the flop. I feel more comfortable with a bigger stack, but not so big to over expose myself to risks involved with BSS. I understand that both are created by experts, and appreciate their efforts of course. But I believe everyone should adopt their own style of play to suit their needs.

Any advice on this deck? Thanks.

Regards
      I see your point. It seems to me that it will be more profitable for you to develop the psychological part of your game in order for you to feel comfortable with either the aggressive style of SSS or the larger amount of money you must deal with in BSS. It is necessary that a poker players learns to deal with higher bets and bluffs and risks.
      I think the problem of the mid-stack is that although you will find yourself more comfortable, you'll end up losing money because of slight leaks in the strategy. As I said, you'll not be able to use the flexibility of a larger stack nor the aggressive factor of the short stack fully, so you'll end up deficient in both. It will be mathematically very difficult for you to get yourself a long-term positive win-rate.

Look at it as a way to improve your game further. The psychological side of it is indeed the most important. You can also try the Sit'n Go and MTT games where you don't bet real dollars, but simply chips.

In any case, if you wish to try the mid-stack way, I wish you luck. It might be good for you also to listen to what Big Stackers have to say about playing mid-stack, they might give you some more insight.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      the main strength of SSS is to allow yourself to become committed easily.

with a 50BB stack, you give yourself much more marginal decisions, prevent yourself from pushing profitably, and stop yourself from extracting maximum value with a solid hand like trips. situations like blind-defence also gets even more tricky

i suggest you go back to SSS because there is nothing to be worried about being committed.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      the main strength of SSS is to allow yourself to become committed easily.

with a 50BB stack, you give yourself much more marginal decisions, prevent yourself from pushing profitably, and stop yourself from extracting maximum value with a solid hand like trips. situations like blind-defence also gets even more tricky

i suggest you go back to SSS because there is nothing to be worried about being committed.
      + read NL10 AQo

As played, call the river imo.

- Gerv