SSS vs BSS.

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, this is a personal question as well as a financial question.

I have been playing BSS at NL10 for several months and make around 10BB/100. However whenever I attempt NL25 I seem to fail for no reason whatsoever. I feel as if the strategy I am using at NL10 breaks down at NL25.

I am considering permanently switching to the SSS. But would like to know what average profit I can expect using it. i.e. what limit would I need to get to to match the profit I make playing BSS NL10.

I usually comfortably play 4 tables of BSS or I can play 6 table SSS.
  • 8 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      If you are really beating NL10 with 10bb/100 win rate I'm sure you will beat NL25 for sure. You problem is probably phycolagical (more money, illusion that the opponets are a lot better) and you need to be sure in your game to be a winner. Post some big hands that you lost and go to the coachings ;)
      Or it is only variance :P

if you have the bankroll for NL25 you probably can play NL100 SSS, but imo you need a lot of practice first.

For NL10-50 you can have arount 3-4 bb/100 win rate, but you need to be very good SSS player. Even with some mistakes 1.5-2 bb/100 is possible.
      On NL100 you can beat it like 2-3 bb/100
      On higher limits everything more than 1,5 is fantastic

Best regards,
      Kukki

P.S. I'm sure you can play a lot more than 6 tables SSS.
      You just need practice :tongue:
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Yeah I feel like the losses at NL25 are variance but I still don't feel comfortable in my playing yet. It often feels like I am 'getting lucky' in hands rather than following a strategy.

I think I could play more tables SSS except my monitor is pretty small and the processor would probably collapse (old laptops... grr)

My truewinrate then would look a bit like.

Big Stack Strategy: 4 tables.
      Hourly profit = 10BB/100 x 70 x 4
      Hourly profit (NL10) = $1/100 x 70 x 4 = $2.8 per hour.
      Hourly profit (NL25) = $2.5/100 x 70 x 4 = $7 per hour.

Assumptions: 70 hands per hour (roughly accurate), 10BB/100 winrate (I have this with a sample of 27k hands)

Short Stack Strategy: 6 tables.
      Hourly profit = 3BB/100 x 70 x 6
      Hourly profit (NL25) = $0.75/100 x 70 x 6 = $3.15 per hour.
      Hourly profit (NL50) = $1.5/100 x 70 x 6 = $6.3 per hour.

Assumptions: 70 hands per hour again, 3BB/100 winrate (no idea if this is accurate)

Assuming that the bankroll needed to SSS NL25 = BSS NL10, SSS NL50 = BSS NL25 (this is true enough in practice).

It seems to not make much difference.

The only difference I potentially see is that the SSS seems to generate full tilt points faster (based on 1/2 days experience) and therefore I may get more rakeback?

- Any further comments on which I should play?
      - So far my experience of SSS is that I am breaking even. (small sample)
      - I find BSS I tilt more but can also improve my game more.
      - SSS I feel a bit like my 'skill' does not matter - I am just a robot.
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      The better and higher (in limits) you get the more you will not play like a robot.

Imo 70 h/hr is to much. and still if you have the bankroll for NL25 (at least 500-600$) if you can, play you have the BR for NL100 SSS and then the hourly rate is bigger.

With SSS you will always have the biggest HR for you bankroll. Of course when you pass some limits there are not alot of tables and you will have to switch to BSS. But you are far from that.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Most sites you can SSS up to like 3/6 for sure 5/10 tables arent found all the time and from me personally I've only seen one table higher then 5/10 FR and it was NL100k full with red named (FT) pros :D

SSS starts off as robot like because It is meant for begginers to get used to the game but once you reach gold status and get to see xarry play you will start to understand that you dont play a chart you play your opponent and his range vs the kind of hand you are holding. There are lots of advance strategies to add to SSS if you think you are too robotish.. try to read the article on steals and resteals that should be incorporated into your game around NL25 BUT! only if you have reads/statistics from software like the elephant.

Also you shouldn't focus on your winrate because with the ammount of hands you are playing it wont be true because variance can strike even up to like 50k hands.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Its not the actual winrate I am worried about. More whether it makes more money compared to BSS.
      I am beginning to try to incorporate some steals. The article is fairly useless though so if anyone has any advice on this topic that'd be good.
      Will set up a HUD soon but at the moment I am roughly stealing with any broadway cards + any pair and see how that works.
      Most opponents on NL25 are reasonably tight and will not attempt to bluff-raise. Realistically if I am called/raised I can fold my steal and be fairly sure I was behind.

Edit: I have to focus on some form of results because at the end of the day I am playing poker to try and make money.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      BSS makes more money.

And do not play poker for money in the beginning. If you loose interest in it (SSS is an interest killer... think of a boring job you have to do), you will regret it.

You can play poker for money when you reach like NL100+, like cashing out regularly etc.. unless your goal is to reach much higher limits quickly.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      SSS is boring...............

Play BSS and have fun :D
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Beginning to realise this after 2k hands. It kind've appealed to me having a bit more of a method but it is actually much less interesting. Plus I hate following the rules.