Moving up - second thoughts

• Cakara
      Cakara
      Black
      Here is my graph from 2-4$ SH FL. I was thinking moving up when I hit 100K hands mark but then my BB/100 is starting to worry me

I know that my winrate deteriorates due to heavily multitabling but whats minimum beyond I shouldn't move up.

Do you guys have minimum winrate that you want to achieve or just grind yours BB up to 500/750 etc.

Regards
      Cakara
  • 9 replies
    • quksht
      quksht
      Bronze
      I prefer to have 2BB/100 before I move up.

But your sample size is so huge... it'd be hard to get it up to that.

I would recommend taking another sample size, maybe 10k more hands and seeing where your at in your current limits with the skills you have obviously been gaining while playing thus far.

Hope this might help,

- quksht
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Winrate is not very important, because it's affected by variance and 100k samplesize doesn't have to represent it very well.

I wait to get suitable BR and then try new limit, move up and down few times. It's good strategy imo, because as soon as I realize there're better players on the new limit, I'm happy I can play those fish on lower one and immediately increase my winrate :D

It can sound silly, but i did it between 2/4 and 3/6 quite successfuly (after downswing) and it works now too. Difference between 5/T and 3/6 is more significant though, but it gives me a lot of confidence and that pays off so far.

It depends on you, so it's not easy to tell you DO THAT / DON'T DO THAT. If you're rolled for 3/6, give it a try (with less tables ofc) - you can always move down.

edit: we used to play on Party at micro limits together, right? Mr.Cakara was your nick ;)

edit2: I never really beat 0.5/1 and moved up just because of bonuses :rolleyes:
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by quksht
      I prefer to have 2BB/100 before I move up.

But your sample size is so huge... it'd be hard to get it up to that.

I would recommend taking another sample size, maybe 10k more hands and seeing where your at in your current limits with the skills you have obviously been gaining while playing thus far.

Hope this might help,

- quksht
      2 BB/100 is not real winrate @ 2/4+ imo, so Cakara would have to spend another months and months to improve to such dream one.

And 10k samplesize is close to none samplesize in SH. I had 3.5 BB/100 @ 2/4 over 10k hands and I'm sure my real winrate is bellow 2 ;)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Cakara,

how many tables do you play? Don't be mad with me but it seems to me that you might tilt a bit. 250-300BB swings happen but that seems to swingy to me. :/

Did you play NL in the beinning? Losing 100BB twice doesn't look like FL.

Your winrate is pretty low. That can be due to swings, due to bad table selection or lack of skill (sry).
      I suggest you to go for a 1000BB BRM with that winrate as the lower your winrate the higher the variance.
      It will be highly frustrating to move up a limit just to catch a 300BB downswin in a few days and move own again. :/

How about making a video to check your play? :) (Or posting hands in our sample hand forum?)

Sorry if that wasn't so much about moving up but about your graph.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by ciRith
      It could happen in ~500 hands so it's possible: you should see my graph :D

Some people (like me) just don't know how to play without variance obviously..

edit: take a look here for nice example: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?postid=263742#post263742
    • Cakara
      Cakara
      Black
      Originally posted by opal99

we used to play on Party at micro limits together, right? Mr.Cakara was your nick ;) [/I]

Yes I remember, Opalarc, if I'm right. I went to Stars back then, beat 0,5-1$ FR then switched to SH. Beat 0,25-50$ and 0,5-1$ and then grind 1-2$ massively from October to February for some juicy bonuses. In February I decided to move up as I saw that players are no better at 2-4$. Now I don't want to stay at 2-4$ more than needed as I did at previous limit.

Originally posted by ciRith
      Hi Cakara,

how many tables do you play? Don't be mad with me but it seems to me that you might tilt a bit. 250-300BB swings happen but that seems to swingy to me. :/

Your winrate is pretty low. That can be due to swings, due to bad table selection or lack of skill (sry).
      I suggest you to go for a 1000BB BRM with that winrate as the lower your winrate the higher the variance.
      It will be highly frustrating to move up a limit just to catch a 300BB downswin in a few days and move own again. :/

How about making a video to check your play? :) (Or posting hands in our sample hand forum?)

Sorry if that wasn't so much about moving up but about your graph.
      I'm playing 6-9 tables.I know its way too much cause I have time just for ABC poker so I'm losing some value but I'm getting nice rakeback just for being breakeven. Tilt doesn't happen to me when I start to mess up I'm sitting out immediately. My DB is huge and table seletion is no problem sometimes I even play more tables that i should because i cant give up when I have position on fish.
      So to sum up I think that when I reduce number of tables my winrate will grow too
      And about swings for me it is standard to have 150BB swing in one 3000 hands session.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Ahh ok then. But I would still go for 1000BB BRM as the variance only get higher the lower your winrate gets (and that will happen to everyone as the games get tougher the higher you play).
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      wow dude, those are some sick swings lol

try playing less tables for a while imo, its hard to improve your play if you're constantly playing 6+ tables
      you may (or may not) lose out on some immediate $$$, but getting better is just as important if you want to move up

(i've never played more than 6 SH tables and usually just stick to 3-4)
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      also consider that the rake at 3/6 is slightly higher than at 2/4 on most sites, so you need a bigger edge on the field to stay in the green
      (i dunno how it is on Party, though)