$11.38
      Hero:
      $9.85
      MP2:
      $2.20
      CO:
      $3.60

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3:spade: , 3:heart: . MP2 posts a blind of $0.10.
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP2 checks, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.45) Q:heart: , 3:club: , J:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.45, 2 folds, BB raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $3.45, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.45

I think I overplayed this. Got spooked by flush draw. Should I just call the raise on the flop instead of reraise?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello!

Preflop: Raise it up.
      Flop: OK.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      I'm just curious as to why I need to raise up in the preflop here. I think in the SHC, it tells me to call.

I understand that open-limping is weak. But, since I'm playing for set value, wouldn't it be good for me to seem weak? If I raise preflop, wouldn't I discourage others to bet postflop (in the event that I catch a set)?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      nh imo.

you cant raise small on such a drawy flop.

personally I sometimes limp 33 from MP1, sometimes I just fold it but mostly I raise it. This way, when you raise AA from MP1 they will not all insta-fold. Also, when you raise 33 from MP1 you can cbet and they will put you on a strong hand and fold. Its very good to disguise your hand range.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by williamtywong
      I'm just curious as to why I need to raise up in the preflop here. I think in the SHC, it tells me to call.

I understand that open-limping is weak. But, since I'm playing for set value, wouldn't it be good for me to seem weak? If I raise preflop, wouldn't I discourage others to bet postflop (in the event that I catch a set)?
      My arguments for raising preflop.
      1) By raising you can either take the pot preflop, or later with cbet.
      2) People will not pay you off when you hit your set in limped pot unless they hit something big themselves.
      3) People will pick on that you only raise TT+ AJ+ or close to that so your raises will not get much action.
      4) Riddle: Tight player seems weak preflop but suddenly turns into strong on flop, what he's holding? :D
      5) Let's say you are MP with 33, BU holds JQs, so you open limp BU raises 5xbb, BB,SB folds, you call for set value the board comes 7A6 rainbow,you check, BU cbets and gets a nice pot with the worse hand.
      6) Now the same situation but this time you hit your set and what now? he won't pay you off for all times you missed. So generally open-limping and only playing such hands for set value is spewing money in the long run.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      PF - muck it. The only person behind you who can give you call20 for set value is the BB. If you get called by either shorty then you are only getting about 6-1 on your set value, leaving you praying for a fold to a cbet.

Flop - only slightly over-raised it here. I am raising to 2x bet + pot ($2.90) to make villain call a pot size re-raise. If villain re-raises again or shoves then we are playing for stacks.

I dont think you over played it. I dont think BB had anything and was just testing you.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by williamtywong

My arguments for raising preflop.
      1) By raising you can either take the pot preflop, or later with cbet.
      2) People will not pay you off when you hit your set in limped pot unless they hit something big themselves.
      3) People will pick on that you only raise TT+ AJ+ or close to that so your raises will not get much action.
      4) Riddle: Tight player seems weak preflop but suddenly turns into strong on flop, what he's holding? :D
      5) Let's say you are MP with 33, BU holds JQs, so you open limp BU raises 5xbb, BB,SB folds, you call for set value the board comes 7A6 rainbow,you check, BU cbets and gets a nice pot with the worse hand.
      6) Now the same situation but this time you hit your set and what now? he won't pay you off for all times you missed. So generally open-limping and only playing such hands for set value is spewing money in the long run.
      Agree.
      Playing aggressively is better than playing "fare" poker and then looking at the flop who has the best hand by betting and raising in limped pot.