Trash talk

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Lately I found out that taking bad beats and coolers hurt more if I just let it bottle up inside of me and pretend to move on like nothing happened. Then eventually, be it after 3 or 13 of those situations, I'm starting to tilt. But I have found a cure for that: it feels much better when I straightout insult my opponent, call him a donk, a moron, stupid player, everything that goes through the chat filter. Somehow it feels better, like the stress is relieved through the outburst of insults and I can concentrate on the game again.

Some might say it's not good sportsmanship, but I just have problems picturing a game where you take money off other people to be a friendly sport. I don't know these people, I'll never see these people IRL and chances are I won't even run into them again online, and even if I do they won't even recognize me. Lastly, they'd do nothing rather than take all of my money, and I would gladly do the same, given the opportunity. Opponents are a source of income, and I treat them as such rather than as human beings.

Any thoughts on why one should(n't) talk trash at the table?
  • 10 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      because we want the donks to be playing the same way so we get our money back, if we call them donks they may get embarrased and actually fold K2o preflop-
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      trash talking is +EV only if you're gonna put the other guy on tilt
      otherwise just be nice and say "nh" when they suck out on you
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      it's not necessarily about sportsmanship. the general conception is that we say "nh" in such situations to be a good sport. While this is a good reason, I think that it is secondary.

The main reason why you say "nh" is that you want to give the donk positive reinforcement for the play that he made. That way, he will do it again. If he (and other donks you run into) continue to play that way, you will be making very good money in the long run.

However, by criticizing his play (calling him names is criticizing his play) you are running the risk that one of these days, one of the donks that you insult will decide to try to become a better poker player, and that results in one less donk for everyone to profit off of.

Furthermore, you would then be providing "negative reinforcement," which means you are actually discouraging him from making a stupid play. Why would you do that?

You need to find a better solution to your problem than to go insulting the other players. It will only hurt you as a +ev poker player in the long term if you give donks negative reinforcement when they make a stupid play.

Re-framing is a good solution. For instance, you need to look at a bigger picture. For instance, say your TPTK holds up all-in 3 times in a row, then suddenly you lose the 4th one to a bad beat. You need to tell yourself that it was due to happen. This was within your plan. You need to take comfort in that you are controlling your bad beats in that they only happen when you are ahead, and you are only letting these situations happen when you are playing +ev. Remember, it's never possible for us to win every hand.

Opponents are a source of outcome, and I treat them as such rather than as human beings.

Opponents are human beings, and while they are a source of income, they are not your parents, and it is not their obligation to feed you money continuously and without condition. When you are in a 80/20 situation, you have a statistical right to win 80% of the time, BUT, your opponent ALSO has the right to win 20% of the time. The condition for you winning their money 80% of the time is that you have to accept their suckouts 20% of the time.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Dont tap the glass.

It scares away the fish.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      But I have found a cure for that: it feels much better when I straightout insult my opponent, call him a donk, a moron, stupid player, everything that goes through the chat filter. Somehow it feels better, like the stress is relieved through the outburst of insults and I can concentrate on the game again.
      Well for you in this situation... if not trash talking is going to put you on tilt I say let it out man...

But in general I will usually just stay quiet or say nh... in the hopes that he does it again, that is what you want.. think about it is an "investment" in a future pot... when playing the Big Stack it isnt as bad because you can find spots to get it all in and usually get your money back but with a Short Stack it is a little harder to get it back since you can only really get 20BB back (20 is usually what is lost from the first pot)
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Who has time for chat bubbles when multitabling anyway?.................I don't even have my chat boxes visible anymore...and my game has improved

just yell your favourite expletive at the top of your lungs and move on...........(make sure the door is shut if you have kids) :D
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      If I cant stop myself sometimes I will say "nh, wp". That way I am both congratulating the idiot on being an idiot (hopefully encouraging them to continue their hopeless play style) *and* sarcastically calling them an idiot at the same time.

Problem is not everyone who is horrible at poker is a complete idiot. Some will doubtless pick up on my insult and wonder why I am moved to insult their play, go away, buy a book / browse the web and learn to play. So all we achieve by being seen insulting idiots is encouraging them to l2p and come back challanging us for our money and fighting us for the other fish.

Its negative EV all round to tap the glass.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      wrong attitude imo, don't be result-oriented and don't let suckouts get to you. Nothing wrong with a little trash talk though ^^
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      i usually dont trash talk ppl when they bad beat me,i curse a lot when i take bad beat,but trash talk is better when you bad beat someone he tilts easier then :D ,
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      I used to curse the opponents a lot at the beginning, now I only say "lucker" sometimes, when they suck out. Next level for me is to turn of chatbox and only concentrate on my play.
      when I suck out, I always think what did I do wrong to get into this situation. When someone sucks out on me, I congratulate myself for playing good and +EV and tell myself, that this is only variance.