Stacking off light against maniacs

• Maniatrix
      I've encountered my share of maniacs at Pacific. They come in different forms. You have the "perfect to play against" maniacs who simply openshoves any two from any position. Then you have the more complicated maniacs who builds up their big bluffs in stages making it a bit harder than simply calling a push when you close the action with 77+, AT+, KQ. Some maniacs gets offended when you raise so against them you do not have to limp your aces. Encountered a really crazy kamikaze maniac today at a shorthanded table on nl10, Pacific.

His stats on 407 hands is:
      BB/100: -84.14
      VP$IP: 73.22
      LP VP$IP: 81.56
      PFR: 30.96
      LP PFR: 34.75
      PF All in: 1.72%
      PF All in W$SD: 33.33%
      PF reraise: 9.34% (recorded as 9.34% out of the 407 hands, not only of the hands when someone raised before him)
      ColdCall: 50%
      Steal: 32.47%
      FoldBB to steal: 0% (amazing)
      Flops seen: 73.11%
      FL-Win: 11.79%
      Flop seen, showdown seen: 32.86%
      W$SD: 50% (lucky donk)
      Aggression: 3.05
      FL AGG: 2.83
      TU AGG: 2.60
      RI AGG: 3.94

I'll post a couple of hands on him.

Hand 1 (making marginal calls)

5 handed NL10

Hero is CO w J:spade: 9:spade: (11.63$)
      Maniac is BU

MP folds, Hero raise 0.35$, Maniac calls, SB fold, BB fold

FLOP (0.81$) J:diamond: 8:club: 5:diamond:
      Hero bets 0.60$, Maniac raise 1.20$, Hero calls

TURN (3.09$) T:club:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 1.70, Hero calls

RIVER (6.49$) 6:spade:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 2.10$, Hero calls

Hero wins 10.52 with a pair of jacks J:spade: 9:spade: , Maniac shows A:club: 5:club: (bottom pair, turned flushdraw)

Hand 2

5 handed Nl10

Hero is CO (15.35$) with Q:diamond: T:club:
      Maniac is BU (17.11$)

MP fold, Hero raise 0.35$, Maniac calls, SB fold, BB fold

FLOP (0.81$) 8:club: 6:club: T:heart:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 0.60$, Hero calls

TURN (1.95$) A:spade:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 1$, Hero calls

RIVER (3.85$) 4:spade:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 1.20$, Hero calls

Hero wins 6.25$ with a pair of tens Q:diamond: T:club:
      Maniac shows T:spade: 9:club:

This time I had learned what I thought was a better way on how to deal with this guy in marginal spots, had I known how mad he was at that point I think I would have gone for bet/3bet broke instead since I later saw him stack off with bottom pair, middle pair, weak flushdraws, and similar when getting raised. And I definately think he would shove all in if I had gone for bet/3bet on this board. He had top pair no kicker and a gutshot, that's a monsterhand for him!

Hand 3 (getting it in with top pair mediocre kicker on the flop)

I had just lost a big pot and didn't have time to press rebuy before this hand started, didn't really matter because the maniac had even less.

Nl10 6 handed

Hero is UTG (9.05$) with K:diamond: J:heart:
      Maniac is MP (8.35$)
      BU (3.72$)

Hero raise 0.35$, Maniac minraise 0.60$, BU calls, Hero calls

FLOP (1.86$) 5:club: K:heart: 4:club:
      Hero checks, Maniac bets 1.60$, BU folds, Hero raise 4.20$, Maniac goes all in 7.75$, Hero calls

Maniac shows 7:club: 2:club:

TURN (16.58$) A:heart:

RIVER 7:spade:

Crazy indeed... Alot of stats had finally come up on this guy and after seeing how lightly he stacked off in so many pots I had come to the conclusion that this was a real suicidal kamikaze maniac of the toughest breed. So I decided to get position on him as soon as a spot opened to his left I quit the table and came back sitting in a nice spot.

Hand 4 (stacking off too light?)

Nl10 5 handed

Maniac is CO (10.23$)
      Hero is BU (14.08$) with T:club: T:diamond:

MP folds, Maniac raise 0.70$, Hero raise 2.25$, SB folds, BB folds, Maniac calls

FLOP (4.42$) 2:spade: K:heart: 2:club: (I just thought, if he has a king, fine he'll get my money but I see him going broke with any pair in this spot so I'm coming over his bet here)

Maniac bets 2.30$, Hero raise 6$, Maniac goes all in 7.98$, Hero calls

TURN (19.58$) K:club:

RIVER J:heart:

Maniac flips over Q:club: 2:heart: and wins with a full house. TILT!!!

Preflop all in

Did not get time to refill for the next hand so I shoved in my remaining stack of 3.85$ with AJs over his minraise. He flips over K8o and hits a lucky king on the turn.

I rebuy for next hand, pick up AJo, raise, he reraise, I shove and loose a flip against 44.

Another rebuy, this time I got pocket 7's in the CO. Again he makes a minraise, I 3bet him to 0.75$, folds around to him and he 4bets to 3.20$, I shove in 10$ and he calls with J:spade: 3:heart:

FLOP (19.34$) 7:diamond: 9:heart: 9:spade:
      TURN 7:spade:
      RIVER 2:spade:

Quads is always nice. I don't know how I would react if the flop came JJ3. Tilt officially over.

Hand 5 Playing for almost 200bb with 2nd pair

Nl10 6 handed

Maniac is UTG (29.38$) he just cracked someone's queens in a preflop all in with 96s
      Hero is MP (18.74$) with A:club: Q:spade:

Maniac raise 0.20$, Hero raise 0.75$, folds to maniac, Maniac calls

FLOP (1.57$) Q:heart: 4:spade: T:spade:
      Maniac bets 1.60$, Hero raise 5$, Maniac calls

TURN (11.07$) K:heart:
      Maniac bets 5$, Hero calls

RIVER (20.57$) K:spade: (flush got there, king beats me, flopped set still beats me, on the bright side I now beat T4 which is a likely part of his range, and the pot is way too big to fold now)
      Maniac goes all in 18.63$, Hero calls 7.99$
      Maniac shows A:spade: 9:diamond: , Hero wins 35.75$

The post got a little long, was just amazing to see how crazy this player was. Anyway, how loose should you get it in against this guy? Let's forget variance for a moment, I'm perfectly comfortable pushing a stack of 500bb preflop with 77 if I know I have more than 50% equity against his range. And how light should you call his bluffs/misplayed valuebets postflop?
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      This player is a saturday night live one. He has 6-12 beers in him and maybe a friend egging him on at the PC.

Ill play stacks against a player like this with TPGK every time, TPBK often. I used to push even as far as you did with your TT into a K22 flop but I think more recently I like to draw the line at at least TPBK.

So long as you can stomach the variance *without* tilting when your 77 is cracked by A3o, you can 77 shove any amount that your BR can handle losing to said variance against this guy, be it 100BB or 5000BB.

Being in position against this guy on NL10 with him having $26 and me having $17 would be like heaven. All you need is a table full of scared SS nits who fold to every isolation bet to top it off.
    • TribunCaesar
      Well, simplay adapt to his tendencies. Get as much information about him as possible, like how he plays certain hands, how often is he bluffing etc. If he is bluffing a lot, go in the call down mode like you did in the first hands. There is not a simple rule how to play such players. You need to figure tha out against a single maniac. Another one might play differently. Most of you posted hands look fine to me btw. Usually I try to avoid to much variance by playing not that aggressively preflop, I rather try to hit and then get his money.

Best regards,