[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH AK vs preflop 3bet

• NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

SB ($9.85)
      BB ($12.20)
      Hero (UTG) ($10)
      Button ($11.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K:heart: , A:club:
      Hero bets $0.40, 2 folds, BB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.10

Flop: ($3.05) K:club: , J:heart: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($7.05) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.05) 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $4, Hero calls $4

Total pot: $15.05 | Rake: $0.70
      ------------------
      How to deal with 3bet when you're holding AK in general? I've decided to call because i had the position.
  • 4 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      I also like to look at a flop with AK rather than 4bet it against big stacks...

As played I think you are in front on flop turn and river. I am probably calling flop to see if BB might 2nd barrel and definantly betting the turn for protection after BB checks to me.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. :)
      About the turn, i think we could have a little discussion here, yeah i was almost sure i was ahead in this hand, thought he's probably holding QQ which turned out to be true.
      But now let's say i bet the turn, what hands will call me? Draws and hands that beats me, at this point draw is more unlikely than hands that can beat me. So by checking behind on turn i tried to induce a river bet/call from weaker holdings. Same cost, but higher probability to see weaker hands in showdown.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      There's not that much to protect against really. Unless someone see him 3-betting QT OOP. The only possible draw in my opinion is A:diamond: Q:diamond: . He could have many other hands, AA, QQ, TT or another AK seems more likely.
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      Going broke with AK preflop is a marginal situation as long as you don't know that villain is going broke very light.

We need villain to go broke preflop with at least TT+,AQ+ to get into a 50/50 flip. Without reads i like the way NightFrostaSS played this hand IP.

OOP you def. have to decide whether to go broke or to fold. But IP a call is possible. But remind that you have to call something like AA from time to time too on a 3bet instead 4betting to balance your line. Otherwise a thinking player will see that you always call AK IP on a 3bet and only 4bet/shove monsters.

Turn CB for bluff induce is ok to get value from weaker hands. But you def. have to call any river if you check the turn behind.