MP3:
      $26.20
      CO:
      $1.95
      BU:
      $15.25

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.4, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.30) T, 3, 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.20.

Turn: ($5.30) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, MP3 calls $4.00.

River: ($13.30) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $7.00, Hero calls $7.00.

Final Pot: $27.30.

I clearly didnt pay the best of attention here, because I raised 2bb to little preflop. I think I should check/fold the flop here, but Im actually not sure. My flop equity is about 45% vs 2 randoms.
  • 4 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Uh.

PFR you are correct, 6BB here, possibly even 7 because of OOP.

Flop - Either you cbet or you play your 88 as a call20 hand - no set, no bet. There is no room ever for a check-raise with 88 into a T high flop unless you have some kind of super read on MP3 that says he is an idiot maniac who likes to splash money with air. Correct line was cbet-fold or check-fold.

Turn - After performing a bluff check/raise and being called, you fire another barrel into what is another scare card for your hand... very risky play. Correct line would be check-fold.

River - check-call to showdown on another scare card... im not sure what hands you expected you could beat given that river completed the 3rd overpair to your 8s, completed flush, completed nut str. Correct line check-fold. There is no way you can call a 70 BB bet to see if 4th (concealed) pair is good here. You might as well have had 66 or A5 as 88, all three hands have roughly the same showdown value.

Remember, having pokerstove tell you you have 45% flop equity against complete random ranges that no one ever plays doesnt make it okay to throw away 40 then 70 more BBs on the turn and river when the board turns even uglier. No matter what the turn was 95% it was going to be ugly - large cards are over your 8s and scary, small cards complete draws to a small straight and are scary, board repairs give trips and are scary. Only turn or river card that wasnt a scare card in this hand was an 8, which is why check-fold was best line on the flop.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      He was an idiot maniac if you ask me. He played about every 3rd hand. Alot of my bad and losing hands include ridiculous bluffs against maniacs because I cant give them a proper range or respect their moves.

The equity check I did was just to see what my chances actually was vs uknowns, because that is what I was doing. My actuall equity here is about 8%, so I totally agree with check/fold.

Thanks for a very thorough reply. :heart:
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      The most imporant thing to remember with gutting fish is picking when to gut them.

Even a bobbing head toy that presses "check/call" all the time would still win some hands. Selecting the right moment to felt a sucker is nearly as important as identifying the sucker in the first place.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Preflop: 6bb raise
      Flop: C/F against 2

Turn & River: You got married to your bluff, don't do it again :tongue: