My quest for improvement with the Big Stack Strategy

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Poker Player Introduction: I am playing poker from August 2008 but I played maybe 2000 hands up until January 2009 so January is what I consider to be the actual rise of the interest to poker in me. Also in January I played with the SSS to some success. In February I actually pumped my bankroll to $150. I was very very happy and I wanted to buy something so I tried to cash out $100. Sadly I supplied the wrong bank details. A few days later I received am email saying I am charged $25 and the rest is credited back to my poker room account. That left me with around $125. I gave the correct details and managed to cash them out so I now possess 4 concert tickets, 2 for me and 2 for my girlfriend. With what money was left I played in March. I played some SSS and some short handed tables. If I remember correctly I played with the SSS up until $170 and I decided to try the $0.05/0.1 SH tables on PokerStars. And what do you know, in 10 days I had $260. That was until Monday last week. Because on Tuesday and on Wednesday I lost $60 and now I have $200.
      I reviewed my losing hands then. It turned out I lost those money with good preflop cards like AA, QQ, TT, a set on the turn which lost to a straight on the river, a straight of mine which lost to a flush on the river etc. Now I couldn't care less for those money I lost cause I feel it's like this in Texas Hold'em: Play like you're supposed to play and regardless of bad beats profit will come. However I am pissed cause I was planning on trying the $0.25/0.5 with the SSS but now I can't cause of the 30 buy in rule which I am not breaking on a limit I haven't played before.
      The last four days I read some articles here about the BSS and I decided to try and play it. I'm in awe of the chance to outsmart other people, to try my brains against them and the BSS gives me just that chance. While I really like the SSS for its simplicity I feel it's a little bit too mechanical for my taste. Either I'm all in on the flop or I'm out. And I want to elaborate it a bit more, to do some thinking and outs counting and pot odds calculations a bit more. So that's my motivation.

My goals: I had a lot of fun reading Gerv's blog. So I think I'm gonna use his goal devision structure of Short term and Long term goals. Short term IMO means at most 2 months, long term means more than 2 months.
      -= Short term goals =-
      - reach Gold member status in PokerStrategy by the end of May 2009.
      - study the Big Stack Strategy to a point where it's not longer needed to consult charts in order to play it correctly. Hopefully by the end of May.
      - move to the $0.05/0.1 limit. I really hope this will happen by the end of April.

-= Long Term Goals =-
      - reach a Gold star status at PokerStars
      - get PokerStrategy's Elephant licence
      - secure a bankroll which allows me to play safely at the $1/$2 limit at PokerStars. That would be at least $6000. I have no idea when that would happen though.

About the amount of playing time and updates: I do believe I can play like at least 15 hours per week. I don't know how many hands that would make though. Less in the beginning and more when I am more used to the BSS for sure. I think I'm going to update this blog on every 1000 hands I play. Update should consist of a graph and a table view and a few interesting hands if I've had those.

About software: Now I'm currently working at an IT company in Bulgaria and I use Linux OS as I grew very fond of it. And they have this open source software piece called Free Poker Database. It's kinda tricky to get it to work but I did it so I'm gonna be using its HUD and graphs and table view to track my play and I'm gonna upload images in this blog.
      The drawback to the Linux OS is that Wine can't emulate all the Windows software. It has some problems with the PokerStrategy software too and the Equilator doesn't seem to work. So I have to find another equity program that works in Linux.
      You might now think "This guy's gotta be retarded, if the Elephant won't work in Linux why does he need a licence then?". Well I'm using XP at home so I can use the Elephant there to see my hands and post them here for reviews and whatnot.

So that's the beginning! See you at my first update in a few days!

post scriptum; gotta add some nice banner one of those days too. This and also a motivating song lyric. Yeah I really like Gerv's blog, I know...
  • 1 reply
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by mishkagg
      [B]The last four days I read some articles here about the BSS and I decided to try and play it. I'm in awe of the chance to outsmart other people, to try my brains against them and the BSS gives me just that chance. While I really like the SSS for its simplicity I feel it's a little bit too mechanical for my taste. Either I'm all in on the flop or I'm out. And I want to elaborate it a bit more, to do some thinking and outs counting and pot odds calculations a bit more. So that's my motivation.
      ...[/quote]

Exactly..........you'll enjoy BSS a whole lot more.................GL