BRM and "making a run at it" vs friendlisted whale

• Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Advice requested -

My BR is about $220, meaning its aggressive BRM for me to be playing NL10. I beat NL10 very comfortably. I have taken to adding real live ones to my buddy list and stalking them when I can.

I log in today and see a real live one on my list playing NL50. I open the table and the seat ON HIS LEFT is open. My question to those with more poker experience is, do I sit down? Do I play TAG for a quarter of my bankroll if it means having perfect position on a whale? Or do I stick with my NL10 (and get lectured for playing with 22 BI anyway?).
  • 8 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      way too risky , 22 BI should be enough since is nl10 after all , but even if he is a whale is more than 20% on your roll on the table :rolleyes:
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      IMO one suckout with K6o and you'll be left absolutely steaming. Perhaps if you really wanna go for it a better idea would be to midstack him. Sit there with $25, look for the ideal spot to get the money in, and voila. If he sucks out at least it's only 2.5 buyins n it won't put too big a dent in your BR.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      It is only worth going up a limit out of your Bankroll if you have an oppourtuinity to reload if something bad happens but if you have no way of adding any money to your roll incase something happens then I suggest that you dont chase a fish on a limit that is out of your bankroll. I also had a similiar situation when i was on NL25 this ATM machine went up to NL100 i sat down but as I was waiting for the blinds to approach me I decided not too becasue I did not feel comfortable at this limit and I knew I would not be able to play my best game (basically sitting at a table with 7 Unknowns and a fish).
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Don't do it... I don't even go there with my BR for the same reason.

One suckout or mistakes and I will kick myself senseless.

Remember in your case you need 5 BI to make up for it, this is not something you can do that quickly.

And remember, yeah the fish is on your left... the NL50 shark on you right maybe... I'd rather leave the table.

Oh and another thing... a NL10 fish might not be a fish on NL50. You do not know the size of his BR and why he sat down at NL10. Some do it to donk around a bit because of tilt.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      i'd do it without thinking twice about it, but that's probably not the best advice lol

i think going one limit up to chase a mega-fish is fine, but the NL10-NL50 jump might be a bit too far, given that you're sorta underrolled even for NL10

obviously if you can deposit a hundred bucks without getting into trouble in 'real life' (well in that case we really shouldn't consider your roll to be $220 either, but i digress), then by all means, chase them fishies imo

of course all this is true assuming you're SURE that you have a huge edge against this particular player
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Interesting variety of opinions :)

What actually happened was I took the plunge - sat with $50.

For those wondering, the felter-fish at NL10 turned out to also be an ATM at NL50, although he was alot harder to stack. He wasnt willing to shove $30 nearly as easily as he was $10 in 10c.

Playing standard TAG, I left the table an hour later when the fish did with just over $80.

To answer re deposits, I can easily dump a few hundred RL$ in if the mood strikes (which is why ive played BSS NL10 since my PS roll) so I guess the BRM pressures wernt the same as on someone who has $220 and thats all he has, end of story... though id be annoyed to have to deposit again as ive already thrown $50 in for the 1st deposit bonus.

Unfortunately the night swung down (id like to say varience, but stacking for 2p from a freeplay BB is bad play) after this and left me at about $225. I need to make a mantra - I will not play for stacks when I hit 2p from a BB freeplay! (Caught 2p vs set across my top p twice... who limps TT from late position... honestly... :rolleyes: )

Next time I see him on NL50 I think ill leave him be and continue L2P NL10. Next goal - increasing past 4 tables! :)
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

Oh and another thing... a NL10 fish might not be a fish on NL50. You do not know the size of his BR and why he sat down at NL10. Some do it to donk around a bit because of tilt.
      Never thought of this..........good point
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Originally posted by Dragar

Never thought of this..........good point
      yeah, I once looked for a huge fish at plo2 and he was playing nl200 or something, ovbiusly didn't chase him there.

probably donked it out on nl200 though , but was too expensive to find out.