Poker in my life

• lapared
      lapared
      Bronze
      This is my first post anywhere sorry for the spelling and grammar and the length etc...

I have been playing for quite a while I consider my self and excellent player when I am in my comfort zone i been up and down not taking it to seriously. One time I deposited $50 on fulltilt won like $5000 playing tournaments (two tournaments actually $27 buying i think third place both times) payed tuition that was it. Put 100 from time to time won/lose some times i would win like$ 500> in a session playing Omaha and moving up in limits really quick so poker has been good to me.

Any way this is the thing I am not currently working or attending classes so I got the free bankroll used the pokerstrategy and the rake kill me , then i got another one from Titan and when all the way to 400 in a day, cleared the 5000 points in about 5 days when all the way to $600 playing consistently 4 tables cash game SH NL50 got impatience lost like $300 moving in limits put everything on black(roulette) and well I am on the street. So now I am thinking in putting my own money so that I could take it seriously $500> more less
      Here are the questions :

Can someone make a living ( a modest one $100> a day ) playing SH NL50 I think I can beat this level whit out risking to much: if so what site is the best site for this kind of play.

What kind of restrains should i have:play how many hours,put a lose/ win limit, play only one kind of game, when should I quit a game.

How can I take poker seriously?

I know that I need about $2500 to play NL50 is it really a lose proposition to try to do this with $500 or so?

lapared

• 4 replies
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I don't even need to see your stats...
      From what' you've said:

- be patient, don't just jump in the nl50, without building an experience from NL10 to 50. This procedure is necessary for you to get used to all the variance and everything else! That way you won't be spewing your roll on a bad day of play :)

- The pressure caused by the fact that you say to yourself that you're playing for a meal of for the rent is HEAVY. Don't mix poker with real life till you've amassed enough experience to call yourself a Pro!!! (those who do that WELL, don't ever go bankrupt)

My advice, play for fun, play for the excitement of beating yourself to get better and better everyday... so one day... U'll be a Pro before you even notice it. ;)
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Can someone make a living ( a modest one $100> a day ) playing SH NL50 I think I can beat this level whit out risking to much: if so what site is the best site for this kind of play.
      $100 per day on NL50 is not impossible but wait a minute... every day? With $500 you're risking too much. Playing poker JUST because you need the money is wrong.

What kind of restrains should i have:play how many hours,put a lose/ win limit, play only one kind of game, when should I quit a game.
      It depends from player to player. Definitely you shouldn't change too much if something is working for you. I'm not saying not to try something new but don't exaggerate.

How can I take poker seriously?
      Don't think only of money. Think about poker. Read some poker literature (pick a book or two, although the articles on PS are more than enough, even for sh), read blogs from succesful players (so you don't do mistakes they did on their journey), watch videos (don't just watch, think how would you play that). Money can be motivation but mostly it's only a burden.

I know that I need about $2500 to play NL50 is it really a lose proposition to try to do this with $500 or so?
      Yes, it's too loose. Don't do it. Start with lower limits.

Take care
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      First impression is that you seem to be quite a volatile sort of player. A single bad run and it might spell the end for your entire bankroll due to tilt.

With $500 I suggest you really take your time... and for the first few months at least do not even THINK about making a living out of it. It's an INVESTMENT and all good investments take time and very careful planning to pay off. You absolutely must experience first hand all the ups and downs of poker in a safe zone (i.e. NL10) before moving to NL50, and trust me the downswings can not only make you hate poker, but your entire existence! (yeah i've been there :D )... so that when you hit your downswing on NL50 you'll think "yeah I've been through this before, I can cope with this shit".

Don't ignore the advice from seednoir and yax... play poker for the love of the game. If you don't regularly get dreams in your sleep about poker then you're not loving it enough :D
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      After reading the word roulette in your post, I can already advise you not to go pro until you have at the very least imposed a stop-loss limit on yourself, like 2 BI per session or something. If you play poker for a living and get as much as one tilt phase, you might lose a week's pay. There's more to this game than you think, even if you can beat it.

But if you're really up to taking poker seriously, start with investing as much time in working on your game as you do in playing it. Poker is more of a battle against yourself than it is against your opponents. What they do and how much they win/lose is of no importance, the important thing is you, how you play and how profitable your play is. Whenever you're feeling even slightly ticked off your comfort zone, end the session. Tired, angry, drunk, stoned, emotional, not 100% sure you're cool? End the session.

And lastly, just don't try to tell yourself "today I must earn $x, and I won't stop before I have that money". If you start setting financial goals for yourself, it will inevitably go wrong (been there, done that). When you notice you're making a steady profit on a regular basis, you can do the math and make a decision on whether or not you want to go pro. Don't make that decision first and then see if you can do it in practice. Just my 2 cents.