This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl5 ak

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $6,81
      Hero:
      $6,34
      BU:
      $8,53

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $0,25, 4 folds, BU calls $0,25, SB folds, BB calls $0,20.

Flop: ($0,77) 7:club: , 7:spade: , 4:club: (3 players)
      BB bets $0,20, Hero calls $0,20, BU calls $0,20.

Turn: ($1,37) A:heart: (3 players)
      BB bets $0,15, Hero raises to $1,00, 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,67

Ok, here I put my thoughts, probably not the best but im just learning :P

Flop: After the minraise, i have 3 choices: to fold, to call or to raise. I am here behind any pocket pair and any 7, also there is a flushdraw on the board. Certainly a bad board for a c/bet (right?), but before me BB minraises, so I could fold here and I think it wouldn't be that bad.

By raising I am probably taking the pot right there, but if I'm called it would be probably by a better hand than mine.. I decided to call and see a cheap turn (I wasn't the last to act, so this was prob. a mistake) but oh well I did that.

Turn: I hit the ace, and again BB minraises, but this time I decide to raise for value-protection, was my raise too big?
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Flop - fold or cbet. A 20c raise is either a bluff-induce or a bad block bet from a drawer.

Given that you made a larger than usual raise from UTG2 you can cbet this flop representing QQ+, even though its a horrible flop for cbetting from a late position raise. So I am raising here to 90c, representing a "protection" bet.

Turn - you got another block or bluff-induce out of BB, this time even weaker. Since we hit our ace we now hold a strong made hand and should re-raise for protection even if we suspect it is a bluff induce. At least then we know where we stand and dont have to make difficult decisions to a big river bet. We also open the possability of a free showdown.

As played your turn-raise is fine, possibly even a little bit smaller than it should be for a good protection bet. BB is signalling an interest in seeing more cards with these silly little bets so you can protect stronger.

River - assuming you got called by BB and BB checks, check behind for a free showdown. If BB re-raised the turn then you should have already folded. If BB bets small again and the obvious draw (flush) didnt complete, just call it, as its probably a bluff induce. If BB bets big you can consider folding as it makes the first two bets feel like bluff-inducements.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      PF: No need to raise 5bb from UTG, just raise 4 as usual

Flop: Against 2 I just fold here. Against 1 I would raise, but I think calling is the worst option (still possible I guess) since you dont even know if your A and K outs are clean. Hope that helps :)

As played turn is fine