$14,84
      Hero:
      $8,96
      MP2:
      $6,16
      BU:
      $3,85

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with 2:diamond: , 2:spade:
      Hero calls $0,05, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0,05, 2 folds, BU raises to $0,10, SB folds, BB calls $0,05, Hero calls $0,05, MP2 calls $0,05.

Flop: ($0,42) 8:heart: , T:spade: , 2:heart: (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, BU bets $0,05, BB folds, Hero raises to $0,10, MP2 raises to $0,15, BU calls $0,10, Hero raises to $0,40, MP2 raises to $0,65, BU calls $0,50, Hero raises to $2,00, MP2 calls $1,35, BU calls $1,35.

Turn: ($6,42) 3:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2,00, MP2 calls $2,00, BU calls $1,75 (All-In).

River: ($12,17) K:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $4,86 (All-In), MP2 calls $2,06 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $16,29

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, deuces (2d 2s)
      BU shows three of a kind, kings (Ks Kh)
      MP2 shows three of a kind, eights (8d 8c)

BU wins with three of a kind, kings (Ks Kh)

There's no way to avoid this situations, right?
  • 3 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Only way to avoid it is to fold 22 from UTG1 instead of open limping it. No point raising for set value because there were doubtless people behind you who could call but not give call20 odds, you would likely end up OOP and have to fold to any 3-bet action.

So, here I say fold preflop. You will get many better opportunities to set-mine than this one.

Once you get into the hand and hit your set its pretty much impossible on a no-made-draws board to release it.

As played -

Preflop - fold 22 in UTG1

Flop - Protection! With two players behind you perhaps you could check-raise BUT when you get the raise opportunity you shouldnt minraise a minbet on a flush draw flop. First raise should be to at least 40c. Second re-raise should be appropriately large. Third re-raise would then be nearly a shove. Bet-shove is a reasonable line for any set on that board (no str / flush possible at the time).

Turn - Protection! $2 into a $6.42 pot gives FD odds to call again. If you cant make a decent bet without having anything left for betting the river, shove directly.

River - should have been all in on the flop or turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Don't open-limp with PP, if you want to play them then raise it up.
      Flop: I would rather prefer to bet myself here, you need to protect from all kind of draws. And mostly try to get my money IN here. If you are raising then raise bigger.
      Turn: Betting big and trying to get my money in.
      River: By now you should be already all-in.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Minbet, minraise, min3bet, min4bet. Funny. This screams "I have a monster" from the donks with 88 and KK. Doesn't necessarily mean a higher set, can mean two pair or a terribly misplayed played KK or AA as evidently shown here. Once I see my opponents do this I just shove my sets, they will call. You got unlucky, the donk with 88 got unlucky and the donk with KK got rewarded for his horrible play by spiking a K on the river. Make a note on both players, add them to your buddy list if that is available on your site and hope you get the chance to play with them more often.