SSS failure

• Gunstar1337
      Gunstar1337
      Bronze
      Hi, everyone!

I'm writing again to express my thoughts about SSS and it's results for my bankroll.

I constantly lose playing hands like AK, JJ, TT and some other hands listed in the chart. Postflop and preflop all ins lead to losing my stack. This is not even funny anymore. ATM i'm left with 20$ in my bankroll and it seems soon there will be nothing left.

Regards,
      DK
  • 12 replies
    • CDVik
      CDVik
      Bronze
      For me SSS has had the opposite effect.

I started out playing SNGs when I recieved my starting capital but eventually ended up with a $23 bankroll.

Then I decided to switch to SSS to try something different and now with 3 weeks of 10 hrs pr week my bankroll has "climbed" to $54.

So for me following the SHC religiously has proven profitable.

Of course there are suckouts like loosing alling KKs to AJo with a J on the flop and another on the river but those you just have to let go while convincing yourself that you played it right.

It is hard to say if you play your hands correctly without knowing the details so I can only advice you to post some of your hands in the sample hands forums so you can get some feedback.
    • Gunstar1337
      Gunstar1337
      Bronze
      Hi

I'll certainly post some suckouts with KK or AA. Yesterday I had approximately 4 of these.
      Regards
      DK
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Hi!
      SSS works. Just be patient and learn, train, watch, videos read strategies. I am sure you have a leak.
      I've started by depositing 50$ on some other not PS supported poker room and after a week i was at 105$ playing NL10. But i am playing SSS for 5 months. I am sure, you can do the same in even less time if you study hard. In time you'll find your leaks and be able to recognize your mistakes.

Yesterday i got 11 suckouts with AA, KK, QQ and AK, but sometimes it happens, it can lead into losing 10 or more buy ins, but the other day all those hands win so you make profit. It's poker.
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      Hi,

I was reading this thread, and I could not believe this wasn't me who started this thread.

I started with $50 as a absolute noob and I kept losing and losing money all the to $11, then I took some time to re-read some articles and to watch all the videos I could which could help me.
      Now I have played two times and I have made around +$6. It is not much, but it is at least something. I hope, some day I can climb back to the $50 or more.

So I advice you to take a break, read the articles and watch the videos...
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Have you considered Big Stack Strategy?

Buy-In for $2 at NL2, play very tight (SSS starting hands+ limp/call smallish raise with any pocket pair from any position against $2+ people, call Axs with at least 2 limpers on CU or Button).
      3Bet QQ+, go all in AA KK. Do this until you are at $50 again, than start adding TJs+ suited connectors from late positions.

Its almost impossible to lose money this way+ Its WAYYYY better to learn poker (SSS is only about money and avoidance of thinking)
      You will have to use your brain on later streets and watch your opponents, but most of the time you will have a big advantage against your opponents thanks to your tight range and their looseness.

Explanation of this approach

Btw which pokerroom did you choose?
    • SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      Thats a really good article! Would definitely suggest reading for any beginner or intermediate player. Really outlines the need for patience and discipline. I blew a few hundread dollars playing at Titan and thinking I was a decent player because of my success in live tables with friends. This obviously wasnt the case.

I grabbed the $50 from Poker Strategy on Monday, today is now thursday and I'm up to $80, simply by using the SHC list and the suggested play. I even went the extra step and combined all the flop, turn and river play into a word document and printed it out. Much easier to manage and decide on play quickly.

If anyone wants the word document, let me know and provide an email address, I'll send it off to you. Probably most beneficial to those players who are beginners to this new "system"

Good luck!
    • Gunstar1337
      Gunstar1337
      Bronze
      Hi, LemOn36
      I'm playing at partypoker... The idea of playing BSS isn't considerable because I have only 20$ left. As I heard, you need way more cash to play BSS. Still thanks for the advice
      Regards
      DK
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Gunstar1337
      Hi, LemOn36
      I'm playing at partypoker... The idea of playing BSS isn't considerable because I have only 20$ left. As I heard, you need way more cash to play BSS. Still thanks for the advice
      Regards
      DK

Thats why I don't like party for beginners. If you hit an initial downswing you are damned.

Well now you are not even rolled for SSS, I think you cant do it at NL5 because of the minimum buy-in.

I would seriously consider switching to the lowest buy-in SnG's for you until you get back on track, just read some basic SnG articles and switch to BSS once you get your roll going.
    • Gunstar1337
      Gunstar1337
      Bronze
      The fact is that PokerStrategy recommends PartyPoker...
    • Dante63s
      Dante63s
      Bronze
      I cant play SSS on NL10, full of other SSS players. I also been playing NL25, less SSS players, but still hard to find tables with only 3-4 SSS players.

I started playing S&Goes, their fun but the ups and downs are hard to take sometimes...
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Yeah it is, because it supposed to be soft enough for SSS to work easily without knowing the theories of blind steals and defense ( you can hardly play SSS on iPoker for example so many nits and SSSers its sick)

SSS should really be easily a winning strategy without knowing theories of blind defense and steals there, but you were unfortunate to hit the downswing when you started (provided you strictly played by the SSS chart and rules), and now with $20 I really see SnG as the best option.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi Gunstar1337

SSS works for sure. At lower buy-ins (NL10 and NL25) people call and re-raise you with all kinds of hands and then you have an edge over them. In the long run (>100k hands) you will make a profit and learn more about poker in general if you play exactly to the strategy. Then you could decide to switch to other formats, like BSS or SNG.

I know very well how frustrating it could be when you lose with SSS. I find it helpful to read other successful SSS-ers blogs: Gerv and there is an older one from Xylere as well.

I suggest going to a pokersite with more tables like Pokerstars if Party Poker is low on traffic.

Good luck
      Termi8r