more tables = less money?

• wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      hi,

I started playing fixed limit last month on mansion poker and started with 1 table and following the charts exactly and learned a lot.

I soon moved onto 2, 3 and finally a fourth table open. Making profit every day.

Now im moving onto 6 tables as i feel very comfortable playing 6. Its not too slow and not too fast for me. I concentrate well (i think).

Since i started playing 6 tables im losing more more money than i make on most days. Is this because i dont defend my blinds well and pay too many of those on 6 different tables?

Or is there a different reason?? Or does the number of tables have nothing to do with my losses am i just unlucky or playing bad??

Thank you
  • 10 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      The trick to multitabling is that you usually have stats running, and all decisions should come naturally (you should know your own style and be able to make decisions not by the chart or anything that slows you down)..once your decisions are like auto-matic that is when you can start to increase tables.

Look at your previous 6 table session and look for leeks compared to how you normally play on fewer tables...we cant know what you are doing wrong without some information.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      hi thanks for your reply.

The charts are in my head :) and I also have hold em indicator stats running, i have around 500 - 1500 hands on the regulars and 0 - 50 hands on the new people :)

the decisions on all table come automatically. as i dont have time to check charts.

im just wondering why on most days i play good but lose more money than i win :(

i always post my losing hands in the forum so i can tell if i played it right or wrong... but the judges and other people tell them i played the hands right :( apart from the occasional mistake :(
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      hi thanks for your reply.

The charts are in my head :) and I also have hold em indicator stats running, i have around 500 - 1500 hands on the regulars and 0 - 50 hands on the new people :)

the decisions on all table come automatically. as i dont have time to check charts.

im just wondering why on most days i play good but lose more money than i win :(

i always post my losing hands in the forum so i can tell if i played it right or wrong... but the judges and other people tell them i played the hands right :( apart from the occasional mistake :(

Variance mon, Poker in short term is only about luck so its not even worth looking on how much you win or lose, just sent hands where you were in -EV situations and you'll be fine.

And with the number of tables... it all depends. If you are beating the limit and hardly learning anything new than you can go 15 tabling if it gives you more hourly profit than 4 tabling no problemo.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      the only problem on my limit is there is like 1 - 4 fish on every single table and they call with any hand.. so i can never put them on a hand and its difficult to play against them.

i only play against them when i have top pair top kicker i guess :)

i have played 15000 hands on this limit so far and its going alright. I just think it could be better. I thought i was paying too many blinds because i have a lot of tables open but i do protect my blinds a lot :rolleyes:
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      the only problem on my limit is there is like 1 - 4 fish on every single table and they call with any hand.. so i can never put them on a hand and its difficult to play against them.

i only play against them when i have top pair top kicker i guess :)

i have played 15000 hands on this limit so far and its going alright. I just think it could be better. I thought i was paying too many blinds because i have a lot of tables open but i do protect my blinds a lot :rolleyes:
      15K is a low sample really, It took me 46k hands to move up from NL2 to NL5 ;o

And I don't know about FL, but if its any simmilar to NL than you only play very narrow range and valuetown those people that don't know you can also fold in poker, and play by the charts against non retarded oponents.
    • Danne777
      Danne777
      Bronze
      If you defend your blinds alot it could be that you defend too much aswell. Every defend you loose cost more money then giving up the blind.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      I'm usually not a huge fan of blind defense, as it means you are playing the hand out of position the whole time.

Try to look at the price of the blinds as the cost of doing business. No need to defend them unless you have a hand.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Blind defence is more important on tough, tight tables. If you don't defend enough you'll simply start to bleed money.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wasy8
      I'm usually not a huge fan of blind defense, as it means you are playing the hand out of position the whole time.

Try to look at the price of the blinds as the cost of doing business. No need to defend them unless you have a hand.
      Hi wasy8,

you can do so on a FR table but as soon as you play SH you need to defend your blinds with weaker hands. That is because you play 1/3 of the time in the blinds and folding too much here will lose you so much money that you can't be a winner anymore. :)

I would recommend to not play more than 4 tables in the beginning. Your skill improvement is way more important than the amount of hands you play. Sure you can move up the limits with playing a lot hands but with leaks in your play you will soon reach a limit where you are a losing player as your opponents are too strong.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Stealing and defending blinds is like most important thing to master in preflop strategy right after learning not to openlimp J8o utg

Defending 30% and doing so passively as opposed to defending 65% and playing those hands well postflop; that's easily like a 1.5BB/100 difference right there.

This is just as true for full ring as it is for SH
      (Note that I'm only talking about defending against stealraises here, ie. from the CO, BU or SB.
      Of course if on a full ring table a TAG from utg+1 openraises, you should be fairly tight from the blinds as their ranges will be much stronger)