[NL2-NL10] NL50 AKs dilema as a midstack (just doubled up)

• dextart
      dextart
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $19.75
      MP2:
      $30.00

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:spade: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $5.00, 5 folds, Hero..?

This is a dilemma I occasionally face when having doubled up as an SSS, and hence effectively being a midstack, for the duration of waiting for the next BB to take my leave off the table. Since to my knowledge there are no articles about how to adjust one's play when being a midstack, I'm usually disinclined to take part in any action at the table, unless of course I'm dealt a premium hand like KK+ ;)

In this case, I could not resist the temptation to play the suited AK, and faced a reraise by a tight MP2. What should I do? According to SSS, I should not hesitate and go all-in, but does this still hold true when only 10% of my stack have so far been commited, and with all likelihood I'm facing a JJ+ or AK? Btw, if that indeed were his handrange, then I can spare you the calculation - Equilator gives me 42.8% equity, whereas I would need 44.1% to make the push profitable... (I don't include any fold equity, since I consider it to be too unlikely)

Thanks in advance!
  • 5 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I never respect midstacks (that are not sss doubling) so AKs is a push for me against this guy, also unknown bigstacks this should be a push imo.
    • CDVik
      CDVik
      Bronze
      I have a rule for when I reach the "leave-table-limit" and that is only to play QQ+.

I know it is hard to fold AKs and I would surely also have the urge to play them but I keep reminding myself that I have reached my goal for the table.

So in your case I would fold.
    • barrelhead
      barrelhead
      Bronze
      Hi,

well, as you correctly calculated if a villain re-raises you with JJ+ and AK, you get 42.8% equity and would need 44.1% (when you take rake into account then even more), so folding in this spot is better imho (+ you have a bigger stack, + you raised in UTG1).

All the best,
      BH
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Originally posted by barrelhead
      Hi,

well, as you correctly calculated if a villain re-raises you with JJ+ and AK, you get 42.8% equity and would need 44.1% (when you take rake into account then even more), so folding in this spot is better imho (+ you have a bigger stack, + you raised in UTG1).

All the best,
      BH
      this
      I dont expect him to get fancy here and you need more then tt+,ak to get a plus ev call so i would fold.
    • dextart
      dextart
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for your input! I found CDVik's rule of thumb very useful, also looking through some other similar hands. I believe I will stick to it, adjusting to JJ+ or KK+ depending on the circumstances.

Btw, in this particular case I didn't have the time to make detailed EV calculations and, since it anyway seemed pretty close, made the push. Unsurprisingly, the villain revealed AA and stacked me :)