• 14 replies
    • skeetawomp
      skeetawomp
      Bronze
      great blog :P
    • addicted2u
      addicted2u
      Bronze
      just getting information.. are you playing at pp?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi addicted2u,

It would helpful to us if you could keep posts in related sections of the forum. You will also find that the response from members is much better too.

I am going to ask a super moderator to move or actually remove this particular thread, but only on the basis that you have already had a very good response from members on an identical thread you started in the beginner questions thread and this one is unlikely to get a response from anyone.

Trust you will understand.

Best regards,

Bart
    • addicted2u
      addicted2u
      Bronze
      yes i know i made a mistake in this one. didn't notice it.. my bad
    • kamojett
      kamojett
      Bronze
      I just started at Pacific Poker recently after getting my $50 starting capital. Here's what I can tell you. If you want to play Sit and Gos this isn't a great site. The SnGs only give you 5 BBs in starting chips. So you can't implement the Sit n Go strategy that you want to practice if that happens to be the style you chose.

So it was suggested to me that I try playing the .05/.10 No Limit ring games. Now I don't know if it's because I'm in Canada but I find it very hard to find .05/.10 to play on. I can only find tables to play on every two or three days.

That only leaves fixed limit. I've played a little of that but it's hard to focus on a specific strategy when you have to keep changing games.

This is where I have a problem. I selected SnG from the beginning. I studied the SnG strategy articles, hand outs and starting charts. I did the test on SnG and passed. Now I can't practice what I've studied because Pacific Poker doesn't have real Sit and Go tournaments.

From my perspective I would say that Pacific Poker is the last place you want to join if you are just getting your initial $50 starting capital. It may be a great place to find bad players (according to the review) but it's not a great place for someone just starting out as a Poker Strategy beginner and wanting to practice the new things they've learned.

My feeling is that this would be a better site for player who has already had some success elsewhere and wants to take advantage of the deposit bonus.

Anyway that's what I think. I'm sure not everyone that plays at Pacific feels the same way.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kamojett If you want to play Sit and Gos this isn't a great site. The SnGs only give you 5 BBs in starting chips.
      Plenty of 10-handed $1 + $0.20 SNGs on Pacific where you start with 60BB. Look harder.
    • kamojett
      kamojett
      Bronze
      Plenty of 10-handed $1 + $0.20 SNGs on Pacific where you start with 600BB. Look harder.

If you are going to post replies with this kind of attitude you should at least make sure you are right. There are ZERO SnGs with 600BB. The $1 + .20 SnG starts with 1200 chips and starts out at 10/20 which means 60BB. Also this is a turbo SnG with 3 minute blinds. This means that after 8 or 9 hands (about 10 minutes) you are in push or fold mode because you have less than 13BB if you didn't win a pot.

And if you happen to be following the lessons, which I am trying to do, then you are supposed to move down a level if you have less than $50. So according to proper BRM (that's Bankroll Management) if you play one $1 SnG and lose then you should move down to the next level.

So since you're so knowledgeable, is there anything else helpful you would like to add?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kamojett
      If you are going to post replies with this kind of attitude you should at least make sure you are right.
      Maybe if you had posted facts I wouldn't have had to correct you.

So since you're so knowledgeable, is there anything else helpful you would like to add?
      I think you are being slightly unreasonable about your BRM. Although the article says 2% it seems more reasonable to call it 50 buy-ins. So you would only move down when you get down to 50 buy-ins for the level below you. So if the next level down was $0.50 + $0.05 (like on Everest) then you would move down at $25 not $48.90.

If you really don't like the turbos then start grinding the $2.50 + $0.40. If you are following the strategy posted here I highly doubt you will drop 20 full buy-ins in a row.

If you do get down below $2.90 then PM me and I'll stake you the extra $50 you need. That's how much I believe in the strategy posted here. Pacific players are just sooo bad. (In the first 5 SNGs I played on Pacific I got ITM in 3 of them. I'm not that good so I'm sure you can do it too.)

Also, for what it's worth, several of the strategy videos here on PS are turbos.

Edit:
      Oh, I had an idea you'll probably like even better. You can play SSS until you get up to $52.90 or above and then go take a shot at the SNG. Then if you get below $52.90 just go back to grinding SSS for a while.

The nice thing about that is SSS and SNG strategy are very similar so you shouldn't have too much trouble switching back and forth.

Anyway, that will keep your BR safe while you work on getting up to $100 or so where you can grind the $2.50 + $0.40 SNGs.
    • kamojett
      kamojett
      Bronze
      Well it may be that you are proposing a workable strategy, it doesn't sound so bad. However, it basically proves the point I have been trying to make. If you want to follow the strategy guide presented here at Poker Strategy this is in many ways a very poor site to do that, especially if you choose to play Sit and Gos.

Here is a quote from the guide concerning BRM and tournaments:
      Step 1: The $1 tournaments If you have less than $100, you play tournaments with a maximal entry fee of $1 (without rake).

Which means in turn that if you have less than $50 you play tournaments with a maximal entry fee of .50

So although you present some reasonable options here the question would be: Why am I here at Poker Strategy if I'm not going to follow the lessons? I've already studied poker for a couple of years and own many books but my game hasn't improved the way I had hoped. So with the intention of taking my game to another level I joined Poker Strategy.

Anyway I feel that for me to benefit from the more advanced concepts in the higher levels of this site then I have to have a good understanding of the basics presented here. And it's hard for me to do that if I can't practice the lessons in the poker room. If I'm going to make up my own rules there's no point in me being here at all.

What I would really like is for the powers that be to say: "Kamo you are absolutely right! Here's another $50 so you can play/practice at a real poker site." I would of course give back what's left of my original starting capital (about $42). That may be pushing it but what do I have to lose?

Well I could go on but I have somewhere to be. To be continued...?
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Don't cry Kamojett, and there's no need to be so aggressive, its a forum, not a poker table=)

There are PLENTY of 1$ sng's. Also, there are the 88c+8c 40-seaters which are your personal ATM's if your BR is small. 50BI rule is just a rule of thumb. It DOES NOT meant that if you have 49BI, you can't play. Don't be stupid. It means that if you have 35-40BI then you should consider (CONSIDER!) jumping one level down. But if you loose more than 20 BI on pacific's low limit tables, then there's probably something totally wrong with your play.

SnG's are about the last phase anyway, so i don't see a problem in turbos. the 0.5 "on tilt" ones are bad. don't play them.

If you are unlucky and you get down to $25- then play FL and build up to $50 and go back to sngs.

Pacific is not good for a starting small BR, but given the amount of fish on this platform, you just can't loose.

I suggest you play 40-seaters.

If you loose all your BR playing $1. well, i don't believe that its just bad luck. it has to be poor game.

Also consider playing $2.5 DoNs. Just make sure you have an idea how to play them. DoN variance is lower.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Which means in turn that if you have less than $50 you play tournaments with a maximal entry fee of .50
      No it doesn't. It means until you have $100 you cannot move up from $1. The top of the page clearly states:

"Starting point for your poker career are the 50 dollars PokerStrategy puts at your disposal. With this money you start playing tournaments with a maximum buy-in of $1 (without tournament fees / rake)" [sic]

Notice it doesn't say that you shouldn't play turbos nor does it say anything about moving down below $1 tournaments. The strategy is to play $1 tournaments and build a bankroll or go broke trying.

Do realize that it is very possible that any given player will not learn fast enough to not go broke. BRM only works for winning players. Losing players will always go broke over the long run.

I think the major mistake you are making is thinking that the grass is greener elsewhere. It is not.
    • kamojett
      kamojett
      Bronze
      I don't know if you guys are actually trying to be helpful or if you're just making fun of me.

If one or more of my posts have been aggressive they weren't intended that way.

I wouldn't say that trying to make a point is the same as crying. And there is a purpose to me trying to make this point. The purpose is to provide a review of the Pacific Poker site so that beginning players can choose if they want to play here. And this should be important to Poker Strategy if they honestly care about teaching poker and are not just about getting the money.

As far as arguing the finer points of the strategy guide, it seems we have taken different meanings from reading the same material. Apparently the guide is not specific enough.

And what is the big deal with you guys and fish. An aquarium is not a better place to play poker because it is full of fish. Where exactly does skill come into a turbo sit and go? When you get to push of fold mode your advantage over all of these fish is much smaller than it would be at other times of the tournament.

And now to respond to a couple of things specifically:

I think the major mistake you are making is thinking that the grass is greener elsewhere. It is not.

Well in my opinion the grass is greener elsewhere because I've been elsewhere. And of the 7 other sites that I have played at Pacific Poker is my least favorite. In other words I hate it.

SnG's are about the last phase anyway, so i don't see a problem in turbos.

SnG's may be about the last phase but here's the problem with turbos. Why learn strategy for Early and Middle phases of a SnG? Imagine all the time that could be saved if we could change the strategy guide to: Early and Middle Phase SnG Strategy - Sit Out Until End Phase!

BTW as far as I know so far all of the $1 + .20 are turbos and so are the .88 +.08.

I don't know what else to say guys. I'm not trying to fight with you. I'm just a guy that's been playing Texas Holdem poker for fun for about seven years. I'm basically a break even player at every level that I have played live or online. I have read many books and used different strategies. I have played at 7 different online poker rooms and I play live SnGs 4 times a week at a local private club.

Now that I am at Poker Strategy I want to learn their strategy to try to push my game beyond that break even level. I don't want to take the money and then play whatever way I have learned before. Or make up my own strategies as I go along.

In my mind the purpose of being a bronze member at Poker Strategy is to use the resources given to me to my advantage. The way you do that is study the lessons then practice them. Then use what you've learned, through study and practice to progress to the next level. The money is totally irrelevant other than as a measurement of how well I have learned my lessons. And I can't do that at Pacific Poker!
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Ok, first you're writing
      "What I would really like is for the powers that be to say: "Kamo you are absolutely right! Here's another $50 so you can play/practice at a real poker site"

If money doesn't matter to you, why not go and make a decent deposit in any room supported by PS. You can practice the strategy AND you avoid playing stupid low-limit games where it is very difficult to practice good game anyway (simply because you need to adjust your ranges for v loose bad players and if you practice bronze or silver, you don't know how to do it, so you end up not playing the best game).

So if you want to hear that "pacific if far from being the best site for starting PS players" then yes, it sucks. BUT, PS has a contract with PP and it HAS to attract players to this platform as well as to the others. Partially, the crappiness of the platform is compensated by you receiving 4 poins for $1 rake which is alot. You get your silver/gold status faster which means more articles for you.

Pacific is absolutely horrible if you want to play FL. IT's DECENT for SSS and SNGs. You were claiming that its IMPOSSIBLE to start on PP as sng player. Well, that's absolutely WRONG.

Then, talking about brm and fish: the only purpose of brm is not to let you go broke. With worse players your chances to go broke decrease. Hence, you can have a slightly slacker brm. That's my personal opinion.

About turbos:
      Bad players know nothing about ICM. IF you can play according to ICM and they don't - you have a HUGE edge over them in turbos. Why learn other phases? Well, in EARLY you only play premium hands and "trap" hands cause they are cheap. In MID phase you need to know how to steal the blinds. But that's difficult to do on low limits due to dodgy ranges. You will NOT have a lot of edge in a non-turbo. Ok, you won't go broke early unless a loose donk sucks out. But you won't loose a lot of blinds to better players in midphase in a turbo, so this offsets the previous benefit of proper sng.

At the moment you have ICM trainer and push-fold charts. This is your edge. You cannot read hands (and its impossible on low limits anyway), you don't know how to play postflop, so what the strategy articles tell you is to SIT OUT UNTIL LATE PHASE. Just read them again and you'll see why there's nothing wrong about turbos.

ANd finally, the 40-seater 88+8: At least half of players loose very soon, so you end up playing against 20 players for a prize pool from 40 buy-ins. You can't loose your BR if you play it right.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      PS we're not trying to fight you too. You sounded very aggressive and you don't read what we write or you haven't read the articles properly. I repeat, you CAN practice good play on pacific. And, BTW, we're not making fun of you, we are just trying to help.

The grass is not greener elsewhere. The first step is to blame yourself for bad play. Not the platform for not offering you deep stack sng's for $0.50 buy-in.

Maybe you should really switch to bingo...