deVall3y's SnG blog

• deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      So I just randomly decided to give blogging a try. I have a lot on my head sometimes and no where to talk about it because my family hates it (they have bad gambling addiction connotations :rolleyes: ) and none of my friends besides one online friend plays poker as well.

Short intro about myself... My name is Guy I'm 18 and I'm from Israel. I've had a bunch of different hobbies in my life. Unfortunately I sometimes lose interest after a certain period of time, but usually its because I have utilized them to their fullest :P Most noticeable hobbies are competitive video games, and pen spinning (video of me).

So I started playing poker roughly 3 months ago. My online friend got into it as well and he introduced me to pokerstrategy. One day I went on and made an account here without telling him, he's angry ever since I didnt sign through his tell-a-friend link :P

So I picked playing SnG's because people I know in real life played it as well that time and that was also a reason I wanted to get into Poker (They shortly after completely lost interest in Poker :O ).

I really liked the idea pokerstrategy thought of everything for you, and made all the research, and you just have to come and take the information from them. I have played several of competitive videogames in my life, and I still play Warcraft 3, and in all of them you are almost alone figuring out how to do things, what is good information and what is bad, what you are doing wrong etc.

I liked it because I knew I have the energy and patience to use this and hopefully become good, and I wont have to do much searching myself. I think it is safe to say now that I dont have extraordinary talent for poker, but I do feel I made and I still make big progress :) Here is a graph to consider

As you can see, I was really struggling with the $1 my first month of playing. The fact that rake is 20% of the buying didn't help aswell. (pokerstars). I had negative ROI, but I was fixing a lot of leaks all the time. I got really upset with variance, a concept I didnt understand as much as I do today, but looking back I do feel like I was definitely on the bad part of variance those days :rolleyes:

When I started winning I was very satisfied with myself. I kind of owe it to chenny's live videos (between many), really helped me and fun to watch. I was eager to start playing $3. I think I even started before having $90, which is even worse because I actually played turbos first, didnt know they are swingy as hell. I promised myself to move down when I reach $50, and started playing $3. I really liked the fact that turbos take only 75% of the time of a normal game pretty much, and I started winning big.

At a certain point as you can see, the combination of the several things came across: I became a tad arrogant, I have decided I'm ready to move to 6 tables instead of 4, I had a curse of bad luck. I had to go through sessions not reaching the money in 6 tables losing big chunks of my bankroll, and not that I played worse than I usually do (thats how I feel\like to think), so I got frustrated and then probably tilted a bit even though I feel I am pretty immune to that in general. I am more fragile to loss of focus over long sessions, which must have hurt me too in some way.

I was reaching close to the limit I put to myself of going back to $1, so I decided to focus and try to play my best game, and was able to recover back to where I were before my first downswing, just to have the same process repeat itself pretty much again ! I had a lot of free time so I just played a lot swinging. I decided to stop playing turbos because the swingyness is driving me crazy, and also that I realized I need a stricter BRM for them.

It was then I also noticed I was close to reaching silver star on pokerstars. I was 100 points away, meaning I need about 50 games, or about 9 sessions. I noticed this 1 day away from the end of the month. I decided I will pull through no matter what, so I mixed normal and turbos. I ended up losing a lot of money because I was losing focus, but because I came closer and closer each time I said I cant give up now.

I indeed made it, and now with a new month I can start over clean and I indeed have a good start. I made an excel table to follow my progress:

(I play 100 ICM-trainer situations a day, or atleast almost every day, thats the last column)

I'll probably make graphs out of it in the middle and end of the month it will be pretty neat I think. I just have to enter the numbers into the blew columns, the rest is automatically calculated :P

I also received $50 from the TAF program by putting a gif in my sig in a Warcraft forum. Now it is removed ('no ads!! :O '). But anyway I got it on fulltilt, I dont really know what to do with it because if I play there I might not be able to make silver star in pokerstars this month.

So... wow. that came out real long. This is my poker career so far. Glad if someone really read through all that crap and I'd love to give some updates if theres interest :)
  • 6 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I read through the whole post. :)
      I think you're doing really good. You are using all the necessary learning tools so I think you will be beating the low limits in no time. I think you will be glad to hear that the 6.50$ SNGs are not any harder to beat than the 3.40$ ones (at least that is my exprience) so once you build your bankroll to be able to withstand the swings you can move up and start earning some real money..
      Maybe you could download Pokertracker or some other tracking software so you don't have to type everything in an excell sheet but whatever works for you.. ;)

GL and I think you got your self a regular reader..
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply. I have tried setting up poker tracker, and I got everything working but its as if the software is bugged and it shows me a straight line going down like I lost any tourny and lost over 3K$ overall. lol. So I left it in favor of something I can work around better.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      This is because pokerstars does not include tourney summaries in their handhistories (unlike Full Tilt for example). What you need to do is go to tournaments->enter results select all of your tourneys (ctrl+A should work I think), set them to 1 table SNG and then press auto fill. It might take a while if you have already many tourneys without results so go get lunch or something and after you come back don't forget to save the results while you still have all the tourneys selected.
      You have to enter the results like this for any new tourneys you import but it's still more convenient than a spreadsheet IMO. And you get to see the pretty graph, too. :D
      But as I said whatever works for you..

EDIT: And here on the site go to forum settings and edit your signature. In the options there enable BB code so that your signature shows the actual link not just the code.. ;)
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      oh lol. I really didnt understand why doesnt it work. thanks again btw I read your blog too before :cool: though I didnt leave any comments
    • Nitlock
      Nitlock
      Bronze
      I'll follow this. fish :[
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      I didnt feel like updating it since I went through another downswing again X( but I got over it so here I am.

I am never sure how much is the fault of leaks, or if the leaks are caused by me going tilt or whatever. Anyway I do feel like I improved my game a bit and Im back on the track with an overall ROI of 11% in april.

I also started playing in fulltilt, but I didnt sign with the code so I realize I'm not going to get any rakeback. t,t I'm probably going to make a new account because it ends up as a lot of money.
      I decided I'm going to play mostly HU in fulltilt. I like it, and it helps me in my fullring SnG's too. Too bad pokerstrategy doesnt have much resources on HU though.
      Right now I lost some money but I'm just getting started