Uninstall PostgreSQL with Vista

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello,

I had issues with my computer and I had to restore my system, but there seem to be some remainings of postgresql which I need to get rid of before I can install it...

I read the sticky about correctly uninstalling PostgreSQL, but I use Vista and some stuff is different from described in that topic and I can't find the "user/users" created by postgresql to delete them.

When I try to install postgresql I get the common "failed to run initdb: 1!"/"127.0.0.1" error.

...or when I try to create new user I get message saying user already exists, so that's the reason I believe I should delete users before installing.

Any help on the issue will be most appreciated!
  • 5 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      net postgres /del

It gave me a problem deleting users so I had to disable UAC and it worked ... but no happy ending here, I wasn't able to install postgre again :(
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      After 2 days of attempts I finally got Elephant and PostgreSQL to work.

What I had to do was simply manually delete users for posgresql I created...

Start -> *write 'cmd' into Search and press enter*

...after this you have to delete each user at the time, by writing in cmd...

net user posgres /delete ---- this is the first user I deleted

net user posgress /delete ---- second user I deleted and after this deletion my installation went through by following batmanbg's guide in sticky.

I hope this helps anyone.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      You could do the same thing i believe by installing PGAdmin (comes with Postgres if you install it seperately from Elephant). It allows you to view what users and databases you have, and you can remove anything you don't need that way. Good for housekeeping also if you've had a number of different databases, as you can delete the old ones that you dont use anymore.

That said, I recently had to format my PC to get Postgres uninstalled. Vista has this pain in the ass rule that some folders can't be deleted, and i'd got rid of nearly everything Postgres related, but there were a few folders left that no matter what I did, I couldn't delete.
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      nice i had same problem yesterday, ill try ur solution, thanx though :)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Cool, PGAdmin one more thing to remember for next time.

I didn't know this, so that's why I just manually deleted the users that are used in the guide to install postresql, "postgres" and "posgress". So, I don't think you have to delete all the users you've created.