Sit n Go Warrior

• Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      Hello everyone,

I am from Slovakia, my name is not important and i love to play poker. I play poker roughly for 2 or 3 years. I started with freeroll's, won some money, then lost them on cash game's and sit n go's, tilting off my money most of the time.
      I registered at pokerstrategy and donk off my 1st bankroll away. I know I suck :) , but I decided to start taking poker seriously. And then suddenly, the angel music starts to play from heaven, i received the email, that i can claim 2nd starting capital on Mansion. I said like wow and thank u PS for this 2nd chance.

I read articles from PS, read about DoN's and started with them. I played 1$ SH DoN's, moved up to 2$ and then to 5$. i cleared the bonus in one month and played around 1000 DoN's with 3% ROI, which is not very satisfying for me. I stopped for a while and start thinking. What are my goals? How can i improve my game? What am i doing wrong? Can be SH DoN's really profitable? After this i decided to change everything and start all over again.

My goals

1.Improve my game - Ok, i can improve my game by studying and applying things i learned in game. It sounds easy, but its not. I decided to improve my game and not focus my mind on profit, but on making good decision's - this is very important thing i guess if i want to be successfull. I decided to read Sit n go articles all from basic to gold again. I will read them carefully, focus my mind on details and try to understand everything. Cause there is a big difference between just reading and reading - understanding, what i am reading.

2nd goal was to establish new thread(this thread :) ), which will not serve only for me, but also for every Sit n Go beginner's. This mean I will ask every kind of question's, some of them will look stupid maybe, but i dont care :) . I just want to know everything :) .

3.Practise, practise, practise - this means i will stop multitableing and will play only one or two tables at once. I will make notes at every table, try to give reasons for my action - for example I want to raise - why i want to raise? what is my goal with this raise - do i want my opponent to fold, or to continue his action? and so on. i want also to study my game afterwards - in SitnGo Wizard for example. And here is also my first question : What is the best pokersoftware for using to track opponents stats? What is poker HUD and what do i need it for? What is the best pokersoftware to track my hands in sessions and i heard also something about software that tracks your luck in coinflip situation's.

4.Start to play classic sit n go's, maybe some MTT too. This means to improve my bubble game too and to understand ICM too. Cause i read something about that, but I'm sure that nobody is counting it during tournament :) . So here are my question's for ICM. How the fu*k do u know when to push or fold. i know there r ICM trainers but there r so many situations and to count(especially in turbos) if the push is good or bad is almost impossible :) . How you people train for push/fold phase? please dont be shy to describe me all ur thoughts :) . thnx

5.Master the probabilities to become automatic for me. I know i have to fold draws when they r expensive for me, but i know i dont know them exactly although i alredy downloaded the chart of odds and read some articles. But im going to have a better look at it :)

Ok, I just hope this will force me somehow to do something with me and my game :) . Cause i really want to get better. I also hope u will enjoy reading my thread and every comment's and replies are welcome.

Thnx and gl.
  • 11 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi Alucard23,

DoNs are stupid. Now that we got this out of the way I can move on a try to aswer some of your questions.. :)
      About the software.. There is not one best tracking software. Some people prefer Pokertracker3 some Holdem Manager. SNG Wizad is a very helpful tool but I think it is too complicated for a beginner and can actually do more harm than good if you use it wrong. Therefore if I were you I would rather practice with the ICM trainer before I play than analyse with SNG Wiz after.
      HUD or Heads up display shows you stats while you play. Both Pokertracker3 and Holdem Manager ahve this feature and it can be pretty helpful sometimes. It is definitely not necessary to use a HUD at the low limits in order to make profit however.
      The best and easiest way to learn ICM is the ICM trainer provided here at Pokerstrategy site in the download section. Usually it's better to start with ICM trainer lite which sould show some model situations so that you are not entirely lost once you start with the full version of ICM trainer. The score you are looking for is at least 95% every time. The more the better obviously. You should practice situations with a lot o opponents left (5-8 players), bubble situations (4 players) and ITM situation (3 or 2 players). (a couple of hints: the ranges depend on your position, number of opponents, your stack, your opponents' stacks. The ranges change when you have over 10BB, 5-10BB and under 5BB.)
      The odds are pretty easy to remember. Just keep looking them up in the chart and you should know them by heart in a few days.

I hope this helps at least a little. Because of the ICM SNGs are kind of hard to learn to play but once you master the ICM and a few other basic concepts you can play any low limit SNG profitably.

Also I would advice against playing MTTs while you are learning SNGs since the strategy is not exactly the same and it's alway tougher to learn two different strategies at a time..
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      thanx for answer, i will also need a program that will allow me to post hands here like other people do. where can i get that?
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      Hoši, nenavážejte se do těch DoNů pořád... :evil:

... and now I would also recommend book Kill Everyone, that really helped me understand equillibrium concept of the play when you are shortstacked.

It covers both MTTs and SNGs (but not in detail, but enough to help me a lot).

Regards

TTT
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      i started to train with ICM trainer from PS and i put similar situations in Wizard. there r quite differences, not big but i think that details r crucial in winning poker, so i want o ask more experienced players what is better :) ICM trainer or Wizard? thnx
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      ok example
      blinds 200/400 hero in SB
      CO 4000
      BU 3880
      SB 1930
      BB 3490

folded to hero in SB : ICM trainer says fold and Wizard says push 100% of hands. What is correct now? thnx for answer
    • Barin22
      Barin22
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Alucard23
      ok example
      blinds 200/400 hero in SB
      CO 4000
      BU 3880
      SB 1930
      BB 3490

folded to hero in SB : ICM trainer says fold and Wizard says push 100% of hands. What is correct now? thnx for answer
      U need to understand how ICM works, everythink depends on ranges. U didnt write here your hole cards but i think in this situation its not important. In most cases im personally pushing any two in this spot if big blind is a random player. If u have 32o here your push is profitable as long as BB is calling less than 33% of his hands what means he is calling with: 22+,A2o+.K7o+,K2s+,QTo+,Q8s+,JTs+.
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      Hello Barin22, thank u for ur observation, i have a question then, how do u estimate the range of your opponent? i will appreciate if u can show me on example, because i feel this crucial for me to understand to improve my game.
      thnx
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      can anybody help me please?
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alucard23
      how do u estimate the range of your opponent?
      As everyone else has told me, and as a I had to discover for myself, this comes with time and experience. Practice ranging your opponents and see what they flip over. Were you right or wrong? I guess this accumulates, and over time, you get a feel for what hands they may have. Again, it's not so much a specific hand, but a range of hands..

Look at the ranges that SnGWiz gives your opponents. Do they look reasonable to you? If not, change it to something more realistic.

As quoted on the SnG website,

"Two skills you must develop to beat no limit hold’em single table tournaments are:

1. The ability to put your opponents on fairly accurate hand ranges.

2. Knowing the correct action to take based on the current game parameters.

The SitNGo Wizard can teach you skill number 2. Unfortunately, skill number 1 can only be learned through experience. It is important to understand that your ability to determine the correct action to take is only as good as your ability to estimate opponent hand ranges. The SitNGo Wizard evaluates push/fold decisions based on the opponent hand ranges it is given. If the opponent hand ranges are wrong, the Wizard’s advice is likely to be wrong."
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      write me privat spravu ... i have some vids in svk with can be realy helpfull

alebo sak chod na pokerportal.sk ... najdi si 7castle'ho blog ... ma tam jedno videjko nieco ako "sng buble play" kde dava nadherny obkec okolo range hracov... hm hm cucni si to
    • Alucard23
      Alucard23
      Silver
      thank u so far :) im goin to practice a lot :)