Push or raise dilemma..

• midgetjay
      Sometimes I find myself in a position where I am not in push/fold mode but someone behind me has <10BBs left. And on top of that, there is also someone else behind me who is not in push/fold mode.

-Should I just raise and try to isolate the shortstack?
      -Or should I just try to shove over the other bigstack?

Lately, I've been going with the first option. Is that wrong? I figure if the shortstack re-shoves me, I'll snap call him because I would've shoved in the first place had the bigstack not been behind me.

I used to always go with the second option, but a couple of times I've been burned by the bigstack, whom I was hoping to avoid. So I guess that's why I'm asking this.

Take this for example. Raise and call a reraise from the BB, or just shove?

• 5 replies
    • viewer88
      depends imo, sometimes I shove with 14-16 BB aswell because you get coldcalled preflop to often and you cant play profitably postflop. Shoving with >13 BB can be unexploitable aswell.

This hand I would just raise to ~800 ish because icm tax is raping you. I think the shove is still unexploitable though.
    • Mstlc
      If you raise to 800 you have 12.5BB behind and you can't really play the flop properly anyway if you don't hit it hard... Personally I'd shove it in here. If one of the blinds wakes up AK, AQ, AJ... yeah well, bad luck.
    • viewer88
      When you play vs. BB you'll need a good hand (2pair+ imo) to comfortably go broke against him, only difference is you can potcontrol when you don't hit.
    • rhinoneil
      I think before you decide, you need to make your mind up what you are going to do if the big stack reraises.
      In this example, big stack is SB so it is an easier process.
      I would raise to an amount that is a few chips short of the small stacks total, ie in this case 900 (assuming he has 700 behind after BB, if he has 700 total I raise to 650.
      If SB shoves over I can fold without too much of a problem.
      On the other hand if SB calls and BB shoves I have the option to shove over BB.
      Of course if you have already decided that you are going to call a shove from SB, it is better to shove first.
    • miskokvo
      -raise 2,5BB
      -react by your oponents actions with can be:

SB shoves you ... probably fold coz you are 90% beaten ... but if you have read on player that he is doing this with Ax or A9-weaker aces ...maybe call but i rather chose to fold coz you will be still alive but if he will doing this too often i snap call him

Sb fold...BB fold

Sb fold...BB go over top ....you can call in peace of mind that you are not risking whole stack

if SB call ...play flop poker
      if SB BB call ... play flop poker