Yup only 6$ Hu sngs now, i got raped, so what :P?

• 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      hey, a bit of intruduction first for all those who dont know me (supposingly almost noone knows me here anyway).
      i'm 21 year old student from slovenia. Since i can remember i was more interested in sports than in school. Today much didnt change. I still enjoy doing sports, but i have also added playing cards to my arsenal.
      I first started playing poker year and half ago with my friends. Of course we saw it on TV first and we got so much addicted to it. We palyed at weekends not knowing anything about the game (we played nolimit holdem from the very begining). We were completely unfamiliar even with betting rounds and we were arguind if straight is more than a flush or fullhouse. I kinda really miss those good old times :D
      Anyway about a year ago i deposit my first money online. I lost it within minutes, not days. Then i made several mroe deposits, thinking i will become pro just like that. My dreams smashed over night once again. But then about when i discovered pokerstrategy i also started readingmoshmans book about sng's. Before that i was slightly loosing player, and after that i managed to become breakeven, hurray for me - for the first time i wasnt loosing money long term. As i have heard that about 90% players loose money in poker, this was a great sucess for me - hey i already beat those 90% :rolleyes: .
      And several months have passed, i was trying out cash games, making slight profit, switching tosng's in between. Of course my biggest problems were BR as i tend to play higher i was "allowed to".
      But even a year ago i knew my true potential lies in mtt's and HU games. I didnt played much tourneys and mtt's as i had the feeling they last for ages, and thats wasnt kinda "my thing". So i tried cash game Hu and failed miserably. So i switched to HU sng's. I was lucky enough at start to get big upswing, so i stayed at HU sng's. My game gradually improved and i stared making 200$ per month which i did always cashout due to students expenses.
      But now in 12th of march i already started a "mini"-project with me building my BR till i can. i said to myself, that for the first couple of months i will cashout only $400 per month and everything else, i will kepp in my BR. And at end of the summer i will see, how much i have came to.
      As said on 12th of march i deposited $100 on ipoker network (propaganda client), i still had to clear some bonus from before, and so i started grinding.
      I started playing 5$ Hu's and then soon moved to 10$ ones and then to 20$ ones when i ended up having big downswing. It seemed to me i wasnt preapared for 20$ ones so soon (having lost 200$ per day was a big deal for me then, but i had 2 sessions with my Hu sng coach after that and now i am doing ok again). It seemed as i was affraid of such buyins.
      Then i make decision to move to fulltilt. Although i ended up having big almost $400 (which is only 12buyins) downswing. But again i didnt give up (supposingly this and that i can grind for 14 hours per day, playing Hu sng's if i want to, are one of the biggest qualities of mine).
      Also i have become good tilt resistant. I am not tilted in any way if i am liek 10buyins down in several hours, as i know i wil lget it back sooner or later.
      But dont get me wrong, it gets to me anyway, i am just not tilted (hope this makes sense - it doesnt affect my game, thats for sure).
      And now after 3weeks and half my BR is $1400, i am also registered through fulltil, where i am palying now, thorugh pokerstrategy, so i will be gold and hopefully even more in no time.
      Now i am grindind $33 turbos, and am looking to move to $55 ones when my BR reaches $1650 (30buyins).
      Yes i know i am using agressive BR management. But i have no problems going down a limit when i fall under 30buyins of the next lower limit (this should save me of busting my whole BR). My BR isnt "great" buy hey, i am winning, and as long as i play many games i am making money right.
      Sorry for long introduction, but i like to make things clear as possible so i usually end up writin a little more than a novel, lol :D
      Plans for next week: - play minimum 50 HU sng's per day, but preferably closer to 100 (i am currently 3 tabling those, probably my ROI would b slightly higher if i went to 1 tabling or 2 tabling, but then i can say goodbye to my goal right?) - have +%ROI for upcoming week (ok, i really expect more, but just in case i end up beeing in nasty downswing) - move to $55 before the end of the week -generate 600$ rake till sunday

I am usually playing only from sunday (after 6pm) till friday (about 2pm). This is due to me not having good internet connection at home (i have make dozen's of call to my internet providers but without sucess, i have a strong feeling they have even ignored my phone number lately so i am unable to get in touch with them :D ). But some has also to do with my family, which kinda wouldn't be too fond of me playing poker so much (mum is kinda ok with it, but dad.... well lets just say this is whole different story)
      i will probably post my results which will include me spewing about random card generators on fulltilt by a twice per week basis.
      As said: current BR $1400
      Now at the end a graph of me playing on ipoker and 1 more when i moved to fulltilt:
  • 43 replies
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Good luck :)
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      ty corey, and same for your project ;)
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      This is very interesting I always had trouble with HU sng seems rather swingy when you start to play good opponents at higher stakes. Want to see this one updated regularly... wish you the best of luck.
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      time for first reply. Not running hot, quite the opposite. I have experienced 2 nice downswings. First one probably due to me playing too many tables, so now i am bak to playing two at once at max, holdem manager (i love the new beta btw - it supports sng's now) says 1 sng lasts on average for 8 mins, so playing 2 at once i stil llike 14 per hour. I am actually not so much down from yesterday - only 2 buyins. While i have been down about 14 buyins i managed to climb back, well almost :evil: :D
      Anyway, holdem has calculated i should be up actually $300 buy i am down about 75 (it calculates only showdowns EV). So its clear i did run pretty well.
      But hey, tomorrow i get around 100$ rakeback, so i will be about breakeven.
      hopefully cards and luck start to turn in my way. Oh and yeah of course i did also make two or three stupid plays - those ill advised bluffs really dont work so low i suppose.
      BR: $1340
      I played many many games, as seen in graph, yes i really played 130 of them, kinda unsure how much sleep did i get while searching for fishes, oh and i will post overall graph probably each friday.
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Some things that would be nice when you tell us your BR would be what limit are you grinding. Also isn't 50 buyins like the minimum for HU sng because they are so swingy and once you get to midstakes shouldn't we applly 75-100 buyins?... also what is the gerneral style of HU SNG though I am sure you must adjust very quickly before the blinds go up.. Also are you playing regular or turbos?
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      i am playing turbos on on Fulltilt, as i said in first post, i am currently playing 33$ ones, as soon as i reach 30buyins for the next level i will move up, and if/when i am at 30buyins of next lower level i move down.
      I know i am using very agressive BR management but as i already wrote i have no problems with moving down a limit if my BR goes down accordingly.
      I use only 30 buyins so i can move up levels very quickly and once i am on $55 ones, then i will stay there a bit. And yes if i manage to get to $110's then i wil lstick probably to 200 buyins. Just for security reasons of not going busto.
      I play more than less standard ABC HU play (tight out of position and loose in position), but i change accordingly to the type of player i am playing against (i really need to do more on that in the future, as i am still having problems changing my ger fast)
      As for the higher blinds, again it depends if the player is loose, i will try to resteal more of his raises with good hands, maybe even limp monsters and let him reraise me. If player is tight i will probably min raise more before the flop...
      And in general my shoving range is tighter than Sage or nash (which are almost the same i believe).
      And i am working really hard on improving my game.
      Hope i answered your questions. :)
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      So it's time for next update. I must say, i had one of the ugliest weeks of myp oker career. I actually ended up today with BR of only $1000.
      Its hard, when u know u should won a lot more, and u are in -$ actually, quite a lot. Well 12buyins isnt that much to be honest .
      I saw graph of a guy, who is playing on fulltilt, regulary on 33$ turbos and beating them with 6-7% ROI and this month he had a downswing of 40 buyins :baby: Although he is up this year actually $3k.
      So still hope for me. But as i said, now i had to move to 33$ turbos again.
      I played a couple of $50 normal speed, at first it went well, but after that i lost 6buyins to a complete donk who was going allin with 3rd pair with the board 346, 2 diamonds, i had 56d so i was a favourite even against an overpair, and yet he calmly called my allin. Of course he spiked Kon the river. But well, i knew downswing has to happen, and due to my agressive BR management i had to move down now :) but i am okay with it. But thre is another problem:
      Tomorrow i will have to cash out $400 for my monthly expenses, which is barely enough, although i am of course living with my parents. So before i do that, i hope i will be able to get 10buyins back and then make the cashout, or i will be forced to move even down to 22$ ones X(

So u can see it sucks when u r not running good, bu hey, i am not giving up, its still better than i would be working in a factory or sth right :) ?
    • AndySk
      AndySk
      Bronze
      just never say urself: I want to get that money back :heart:
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      ah i dont bother really, besides, i will be platinum anytime soon. Since always i liked collecting those ranks either be it on some rpg game or poker :)
      Oh and i switched to normal speed sngs for sure. I dont like swings that much, and my bankroll has nly 30buyins so it should be better, although much slower, as they last for ages. But they allow me to play ROCK TIGHT, and when the blinds are higher, just 2-3 allins and our victim starts to play bad :)
      Its such a pleasure, when he finally has enough of you playing tight and decides to steal on paired board, when i have fullhouse. Or even pushin in 50/100 with 10bb eff stacks with K2 off into my kings :)
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I am really enjoying this one a lot, just wondering what kind of experience did you have before starting to play these HU SnGs... did you come from a cash game background or SnG or other? Also how many hands/Sngs did you play before you first started playing HUs and did you start from the $2 turbos on FT.
      One last question... do you ever play HU cash games ?
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      Ok time for short update and to answer soem of your questions.
      BR=$1150, i did cashout $400 for my monthly expenses, before that i managed to climb to 1400 once again, so i nver felt under 1k :) . i also received $110 rakeback.
      Currently i am playing some $33 turbos, but mostly $22 ones and also $30 and sometimes $50 normal speed games all on fulltilt.
      Once at start of my poekr career i was playing sng's but after being breakeven at 6.50$ turbos on stars, i gave it up (1k sample, but didnt have much clue about ICM, etc). After that i was grinding my ass in 0.01/.02$ ones on stars and later on NL5 all 6max, i always hated fullring cash games as i wanted mroe action, and my knowledge is/was far below i could be able to play LAG on fullring. I ended with about 200k hands before i started playing $6 turbos HU sngs on fulltilt and also some on stars. I didnt start lower. I did a bit of searching on 2+2 looked on somehands, but generally i got some advices from players just to play ABC style. At first 300 games i ran really hotabout 30% ROI on 6$ ones), and after that i slowly started to be really comfortable at those games. And all attempts to play cashgame Hu's ended miserably. But now i am slowly adding them to my arsenal.

So goals for this week:
      - play about 300games till friday evening
      - start playing consistently on $50 Hu's or maybe on $33 turbos, with more than just 1% or 6% ROI (i slowly start to hate daily 10-15 buyin downswings)
      - and most importantly; add 1 more rank to my PS level, being gold is nice, but i want more. Maybe even diamond if i go nuts in the 3rd or 4th week in this month.

As u can see, this is how overall looks 6% ROI (over small sampel though), but i want more :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      slovenia obv.

GL with your blog :) .
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      thx Primzi, nice to see many people here are from slovenia also :)

EDIT: Are coaches on PS also avaliable to hire for some session? I am interested in 6max Fixed limit games, and I would like to start high as possible 0.5/1 or 1/2, are there also some playing at fullring? Post here, or gimme a pm on 2+2- nickname there: polytropo as i odnt think u can do it here, or am i wrong?
      I really want to achieve that Diamon this month, and playing fixed limit should be fastest way to do it :)

EDIT2: Ah just saw it that i can actually hire one :)
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I have been playing some HU sngs since reading this and watching trader's video.. just wondering are stats/HUD important or do you just make notes and such?

GL at the fixed limit games :D
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      i think i will stick to numerous sng's instead to achieve supernova rather than fixed limit.
      And i dont use HUD stats at all. Even if i 3 table i can see after 5-10 hands what type my opponent is, then i try to apply my strategy accordingly. If he is maniac, raising much before the flop, i iwl lshove him with AT+ probably, etc. Oh and i definitely take notes on some noticable plays (lets say oponent donk bets out pot and then shuts down when called. Or if he min raises me with tips or total air etc...).
      Today i give it a go at $3.5 turbos on FT, those with 300 starting chips. I love action they make. Its nice to see only fold/push and calling an allin, nothing else till 3 players remain cant be applied at all. And i made some calculations if i play 200 per day (like 6 hour of easy grinding, 20 days per month. This would bring me up with $4000 rake and i would therefore receive $1000 in rakeback. This would be sick compared to $500 monthly rakeback i receive playing $33 Hu turbos atm, and i played alot).
      BR for today is $1350
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      well didnt have much time to play. i did some 45 and 90 man, but on stars. Increased my br there from $20 to $75 hehe. Those mtt's are just so easy to play. People stack off with top pair and no kicker, so funny :) . And when it coem to push/fold phase u just need a bit of luck.
      Well BR on FT is $1420.
      I should be up $120 more but lost 2 Hu's i should have won (not some Kk vs Ax situation, but trips against runner runner bigger fullhouse, and flush vs rivered straightflush - this one rocks). But anyway, why should i complain while i am making money right? Actually i earned those $70 by playing not more than 12 Hu's in last 2 days so thats better than ok result.
      Today i will give it a try to NL50 Hu cash game, wish me good/godlike run :evil:
      And for monday, i will have a session with a coach who is/was recently playing on $33 and beat them with 10% ROI over 2k sample.
      The biggest leak it seems i have is the lack of math and calculations (everyone knows to count his outs, but there is so much more behind it, its incredible). And math is really important part of turbos, not so much in normal speed games.
      After that i hope i wil lfinally be able to make transition to sucessful HU cash game player and/or move up soon to $55 HU turbos on fulltilt.
      I will play alot this weekend, hope the results will be good.

And please i would like many replies from super turbo sng's grinders (those with 300chips on FT) as i am thinking of creating some a group thread of those, and we could discuss hands, ranges, wel leverything about them. hope i can pul lit off in bigger manner than just posting on forums (chatting live would be so cool - PS mods, can u do sth to make live chat here on PS, like AIM group or sth?). Contact me under nickname: polytropo on two+two forums
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey there :)

Nice blog 1wayman and good luck on continuing your progress!

I even saw you in one of our videos today: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/4190

:D
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      yea, now u all can see how much i suck at those sng's :)
      It was 5$ buyin and was great experience to play against such good players.
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

Hero (BB): $103.05
      BTN/SB: $124.20

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 8:spade: 9:heart:
      BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.00) T:diamond: 7:club: J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BTN/SB raises to $8.50, Hero requests TIME, Hero raises to $22, BTN/SB raises to $56.50, Hero raises to $101.55 all in, BTN/SB calls $45.05

Turn: ($206.10) 4:diamond: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($206.10) 9:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $206.10
      Hero shows 8s 9h (a straight, Jack high)
      BTN/SB shows Qd Ad (a flush, Ace high)
      BTN/SB wins $205.60
      (Rake: $0.50)

Nice to lost biggest pot in my poker history, but hey, next time i will get it, we were basically a coinflip. Its from NL 50 Hu cash game.