[NL2-NL10] AKs once doubled (or, rather, quadrupled) up

• 4bur
      4bur
      Bronze
      So, the setting is:

I double up on JJ vs A2, standart raise, then bet turn (on my overpair), bet flop all-in.
      Then, before the blinds hit me again (I usually stay on until I'm UTG), I get AKo.
      I bet, and the same person called, hit King on the flop, and at showdown I won again against a ridiculous Q5. The caller left.

And just as I was preparing to walk away with my ill-begotten gains, this hand happened. No meaningful stats on the opponent. What's your take on it?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy hand converter:

Known players:
      MP1:
      $9.65
      MP2:
      $15.10
      MP3:
      $7.40
      CO:
      $4.30
      BU:
      $3.95
      SB:
      $9.45
      BB:
      $1.75
      UTG1:
      $1.85
      UTG2:
      $8.55

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K, A.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.4, 5 folds, SB raises to $1.4, BB folds, Hero calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.90) 6, 3, 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($4.90) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.90) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.75, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.90.
  • 6 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      At 85 BB you could post this in the BSS forum for better evals ;)

As played PF is fine to cold-call here. Some people like to go broke with AK but I prefer to play 3bet-call and take a flop with it.

Flop - on the dry flop SB's cbet indicates weakness. You could easily have attacked with a re-raise and taken the pot down here.

Turn - having called flop and seen another blank on the turn, SB checks. This is a prime floating opportunity. Floating is calling flop cbet IP, then betting turn when the PFA checks it to steal the pot. Bet $3.5 here to represent an overpair in the hole.

River - SB river bluffed you, probably with his own AK.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Nice hand imo.

I like the preflop call after the 3-bet, because you have position.

On the flop villain's bet is pretty weak and kinda standard c-bet which doesn't mean much, so calling is fine.

But on the river I don't think he would bet into you again with nothing(mostlikely he has some medium made hand, like middle PP), so I would fold like you did.

However, if you don't feel comfortable folding AK preflop to 3-bet isn't wrong either.
    • 4bur
      4bur
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      At 85 BB you could post this in the BSS forum for better evals ;)
      That was actually one of my first thoughts, as well. :)
      But I wanted to hear the SSS opinion: it is rare that one would get from around 20BB to more than 80BB in between the blinds, but it does happen. So then you get dealt prime cards - what to do? Nevertheless, I think I'll post it at BSS, as well, although I found your and burek's posts highly useful.

Flop - on the dry flop SB's cbet indicates weakness. You could easily have attacked with a re-raise and taken the pot down here.
      I don't know... so suppose he has any of the pocket pairs that would have him reraise me, say TT to AA. Do you think he would have acted differently here?

Turn - looks like a set-up for me to bet, no? But yeah, looks like oportunity squandered.

River - I kinda feel like burek's right on this one in the sense that I'm far behind at that point. Personally, I'd say villain has an overpair or a set of 9's. Although AK is also definitely possible...

Maybe my reasoning is too passive here.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Its hard to give credit for TT to KK here, because a villain holding any card in that range needs to protect his made hand on flop and turn from an overcard falling. A very poor player with AA might play weak in the hope of drawing a bluff, but again its more likely that it would be played betting flop and turn at least for value and protection.

I dont think your behind on the river; I think the villain just decided to fire another barrel and took you down. Not to say I would have called that river; as played I am calling the scared money cbet then attacking the turn in a bet-fold float line.

That cbet isnt anywhere near standard btw.$1 into a $2.90 pot is too small and indicates weakness to a BSS player. It could be a blocking bet, a scared cbet or a bluff induce. Unlikely to be a blocker here as the flop is reasonably dry, unlikely to be a bluff induce as that would be massively overplaying a concealed overpair - scared cbet fits most accurately with the hand.
    • 4bur
      4bur
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      Its hard to give credit for TT to KK here, because a villain holding any card in that range needs to protect his made hand on flop and turn from an overcard falling. A very poor player with AA might play weak in the hope of drawing a bluff, but again its more likely that it would be played betting flop and turn at least for value and protection.

I dont think your behind on the river; I think the villain just decided to fire another barrel and took you down. Not to say I would have called that river; as played I am calling the scared money cbet then attacking the turn in a bet-fold float line.

That cbet isnt anywhere near standard btw.$1 into a $2.90 pot is too small and indicates weakness to a BSS player. It could be a blocking bet, a scared cbet or a bluff induce. Unlikely to be a blocker here as the flop is reasonably dry, unlikely to be a bluff induce as that would be massively overplaying a concealed overpair - scared cbet fits most accurately with the hand.
      Thanks very much for the detailed analysis. Certainly got me thinking in a way I wasn't before!
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      call me weak, but i fold here...you raise from utg , so people give you a lot of credit

with 20bb you can go broke because of the good odds, but with 85 you cant ^^

calling is no option imo, because you wont hit the flop very often, and even if you do, you still give payoff to KK or AA (the hands that make you not 4bet preflop)

so 4betting doesnt work, and calling doesnt really have advantages over 4betting...actually its even worse because you will sometimes fold the better hand if you dont hit the flop