This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

AK early raising, calling push etc.

• 5 replies
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      There is a silver articles that speaks about the math behind this (uses QQ as an example)... But in gereral calling a PUSH with AK is not a good move in the long run the only hands you should be getting it in with early is AA/KK. I usually like to call with AK in early stages at the lower limits BUT! I am not sure if this is correct you should look for someone elses thoughts on this.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Im playing $1 Sng turbo's for a while and it seems very profitable to call or raise with AK. Too often vilain has A7+, KQ, JT or worse. The only bad thing is small pockets, wich happens sometimes.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      You should definitely raise with AK preflop in any phase of a SnG/Tourney. I wouldn't reraise unless the first raiser made it less then 4BB's.

Just limping in pre-flop often leads to disaster. In a lot of cases you'll have a 5-6 way flop or worse if you do... the chances of having the best hand even if you hit your Ace or King aren't that high. People might have hit a set (thinking A44 kind of boards here), hold a weaker Ace but flopped 2 pair..., picked up a flush and/or EOSD etc.

AK is a pretty good hand preflop but you have to force the marginal hands out of play pre-flop.

EDIT: I wouldn't really go all-in with AK in early phase pre-flop. It's simply not worth it imo. Best case senario you'll still be beat 3/10 times if you get called by Ax or Kx. Against 2 under cards you only win 2/3 of the hands, against an underpair you're 55/45 behind. It's not worth risking your tournament life for at least in early phases if you're playing well over 20BB's... imo. Then again I haven't been playing for that long :p
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      They say AK is -EV early in a tournament/SnG. I don't believe this is entirely true, especially for low buy-in SnG's, but you have to be careful with all-ins: if you double up, good for you, but you still haven't won any money, and if you lose you bust and permanently lose your buy-in. Risk/reward doesn't justify it.

I think it's good to raise, but be careful with re-raises as well. Let's say your stack is 1500 and the blinds are 20/40, someone raises to 120 and you hold AK and re-raise to e.g. 360. That's a quarter of your stack you put at risk with a drawing hand without even having seen the flop. You flip against every pp except for AA and KK which have you crushed, you're only 2:1 favorite against non-AK-containing hands, which villain is unlikely to have unless he's raising really loose, and best case scenario are lower aces or kings. Hoping that villain raised with Kx is a bit too optimistic, so the only realistic hands you really have beat are lower aces like AT-AQ, which make up for a 4% range at best.

Paranoid? Perhaps a little, but I just stay out of the action in the beginning of an SnG unless I'm positive I'm far ahead, and so far this playstyle has brought me many $$. Of course it depends heavily on the situation, your position, the opponents and their stacks as well as your own. If it's a 3bb raise from the button, you have a clear 3bet, but I'd rather just call a raise from a MP fullstack with my AK and see what the flop brings. Just my line :)
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BerzergerI think it's good to raise, but be careful with re-raises as well. Let's say your stack is 1500 and the blinds are 20/40, someone raises to 120 and you hold AK and re-raise to e.g. 360. That's a quarter of your stack you put at risk with a drawing hand without even having seen the flop. You flip against every pp except for AA and KK which have you crushed, you're only 2:1 favorite against non-AK-containing hands, which villain is unlikely to have unless he's raising really loose, and best case scenario are lower aces or kings. Hoping that villain raised with Kx is a bit too optimistic, so the only realistic hands you really have beat are lower aces like AT-AQ, which make up for a 4% range at best.
      You shouldn't really re-raise with AK if someone opened to 3BB's in early phase. People that are already in the hand at that point will just call, no matter how much you re-raise to. Just call the 120 and watch a 3 way flop or something.
      If you hit an ace you can just bet out, in a lot of cases the guy in front of you raised with a weaker Ace, A9 -> AQ pretty much or KQ, KJ, KT. If you don't hit the flop... you just fold to any bet and you lost 9% of your stack. If you re-raise and don't hit, you've just lost 25% of your stack, you should never bluff a fish so check-fold is mostly the correct play if you didn't hit.
      Especially in early phase the risk/benefit ratio is just not good enough to risk a massive amount of your stack.

Just don't take any unnecessary risks. At some point yesterday I actually just folded JJ preflop cause I had a guy on my left that was effectively raising and raising every single pot with any two card. He had been lucking out winning 83 VS AA kinda hands like 3 times, and because of this he was massive chipleader and I just didn't feel like risking my tourney life to be the next in line to get a massive suckout. At that point there was simply no way for me to see the flop at any reasonable price. I just folded the hand, just minutes later someone busted the guy, and I went on to win the SnG. Like said in the SnG articles... what might seem like a normal cash game play can be an extremely bad play in SnG's.