[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Sh - Aa

• pokeralle
      Known players:

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, CO calls $0,40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0,95) K:diamond: , 4:club: , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,70, CO raises to $1,80, Hero calls $1,10.

Turn: ($4,55) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3,00, CO raises to $7,00, Hero raises to $7,81 (All-In), CO calls $0,81.

River: ($20,17) 3:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $20,17

Flop: It took him some time before he raised. I thought to myself that he had hit his set and was just thinking how to get the money in. Anyway I decided to call.

Turn: I was going to play b/f, but I was on tilt and could not fold those beauties, so pushed just to find out I was right about my read.

So how would you prefer to play this hand against this unknown guy? Maybe it's better to 3 bet flop and then fold if he shoves, instead of calling and b/f turn as my plan was?
  • 3 replies
    • Fongie
      Imo we have 3 options against unknown.

Option 1: fold

Option 2: reraise and get it in on the flop, reraising and folding is bad

Option 3: call flop, c/c turn and c/f river

I think these are our options normally vs unknown, and I like option 3 best because:
      - we don't know how he plays a king on the flop, he could reraise it and barrel the turn, but I think mostly a king will check behind the river if we call on the turn
      - if he is on a bluff he might 2nd barrel the turn but not the river (mostly)

Option 2 is also not bad because we have the backdoor nut flush to go along with our overpair, and because worse (AK, maybe KQ, flushdraw) might get it in against us. I still prefer option 3 because a raise on the flop on NL10 *usually* means a set against unknown fullstack.

Hope it helped :)
    • pokeralle
      Thanks for the feedback. will be playing according to the 3rd option if I get into a similar situation in the future against an unknown :)
    • BogdanDin7
      I like line 3 also but against this guy even if unknown he shows signs of some fishy maniac so i would c/c river too if he 3rd barrels given the fact that by then i would get odds about 1:3 to call