Two questions

• edorajh
      edorajh
      Bronze
      I have two questions to help me understand the meaning of some terms in beginner strategy.

1. In strategy for Riverplay, what means the term "more opponents acts"? Does this "act" means raise or also bet? I.e. does it mean "more opponents bet" or "more opponents raise"?

2. How do you treat 99 with community cards 775. Is it two pairs or just one overpair (99)?

Thanks,
      Edo
  • 8 replies
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      1 Act means raise,check-raise,check-fold, anything.More opponents means play more carefully

2 Your 99 is an overpair to the board and at the moment u have 2 pairs with 4 outs to a full house
    • edorajh
      edorajh
      Bronze
      Thanks for reply.

If one opponent bet and others just call is this also considered to have "more opponents acts"?

What I wanted to ask with question #2 is if I should apply rules for overpair or for two pairs if I still follow strategy guide for beginners? In the article in beginner section it is stated that we should distinguish two pairs as 98 98x situation, and two pairs in 99 88x situation. First situation seems better. But should I follow rules for two pairs if I have 99 88x situation or rules for overpair?
    • edorajh
      edorajh
      Bronze
      Anyone?
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello edorajh,

I personally wouldn't count it as having two pairs as it can also help your opponent.

So holding 99 and the flop comes 775 i would count it as an overpair.

So holding 87 and the board comes 872 i would count it as having 2 pair.

Post flop you can obviously also play these hands according to odds and outs, but do remember you usually need to discount more outs due to the paired board etc.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by edorajh
      Thanks for reply.

If one opponent bet and others just call is this also considered to have "more opponents acts"?
      Hello edorajh,

Yes in this situations two opponents acted before you. Although in general opponents don't even have to do anything to 'act'. If you are on the flop after calling from the SB and there are 2 other players on the flop one usually says "there are still two opponents left to act behind you" - meaning they can still do whatever.

If you paste the sentence you are having problems with or link it I might be able to explain.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • edorajh
      edorajh
      Bronze
      Yes SoyCD, here is an exact quote...

If you had a top pair or overpair on the flop or on the turn which you only called, you also only cold call an eventual bet on the river. In case several opponents act, you are more often than not behind and should fold.

It is taken from this page...
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/236/4/#h1_4
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by edorajh
      Yes SoyCD, here is an exact quote...

If you had a top pair or overpair on the flop or on the turn which you only called, you also only cold call an eventual bet on the river. In case several opponents act, you are more often than not behind and should fold.

It is taken from this page...
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/236/4/#h1_4
      I edited to state "in case several opponents show strength by betting/raising" since even checking "is acting". Hope this clears it up.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • edorajh
      edorajh
      Bronze
      Thank you SoyCD for clearing up this section.