This is just sick

• MiddleofNowhere
      MiddleofNowhere
      Bronze
      Hell yeah, it is.

Example: AA. Yeah, i won 40 hands with it and lost 13. BUT only abour 15 hands were called. And overall i lost about the same amount i won or even more.

Last week's monday i was up at 160$... 50 came from PS, 60$ was the cleared bonus and 40 i earned with my play... Now i am down at $8. And hell, i have been playing THE SAME style.

Last two days were just killing me. Couldn't find the hands but...

Two times i had a pair of kings with a queen kicker and raised in the SB. Some idiot from CO called with K4 and K9 and guess what the flop was like... exactly, two pair...

Aces got busted three times last two days... Two times an opponent got his set - kings and sevens, and the third time it was a straight i think... And hell yeah, aces were not called in other cases wtf...

And more and more and more... Kings crushing into aces, fishy players calling 5bb with j9 against my AK and catching their jack on the turn or the river... I lost 52$ during last two days. This is just sick.

And when i switched down the limits it was just the same. A lot of fish - but absolutely ZERO luck for me. Now i registered for a freeroll. God damn, i play a 11 bucks first place freeroll now.

I just get no clue what the hell happened... Now I just sit here and feel the frustration.. Another Typical Frustrated Loser of poker. Jesus Christ...

If anyone knows how to prevent this stuff - tell me. I just get no clue.
  • 17 replies
    • mortal1ty
      mortal1ty
      Bronze
      If u cant face losses poker aint for you find something more safe like chess...
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      Stick to good bankroll management and don`t get tilted. There is nothing you can do when variance decides to kick you in the ballz
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      we all have many of those situations. It's no big dealr to me when i am down $400 when i actually should be up 200 every day. In the end it should all run out good. Its just variance. Even the pros have loosing months and imagine how much hands do they play?
    • MiddleofNowhere
      MiddleofNowhere
      Bronze
      Yeah I think that's what i needed to do.... Stick to good BRM.

However, it seems to me that variance simply increases at the lower limits.. At least it feels so, because people just tend to be looser.

Still i am only gonna play sng or mtt now to rebuild a little before trying to get to NL10 again... NL20 crushed my skull so far :(
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      Ehm. variance bigger in lower stakes? No way. In bigger games people earn less bb/hpur so variance is there much bigger.
      hey i had problems beating NL10 6max. After that i moved to HU sng and started making money. It worked out. No way i am going back to cash games, well maybe to Hu cash game, nothing else.
      And if u want to see real badbeats go play some mtt's, when u r deep and some crazy man puts u allin, u have aces , he has 55 and gues whatcomes on flop ;) it happens many many times before u cashout big win :)
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      too much T I L T not enough B R M
    • MiddleofNowhere
      MiddleofNowhere
      Bronze
      Yeah, it does happen..

Well what i meant about variance is that people just hate to fold, just like FL, some underdog gets nuts on the river.

I actually was winning at NL20 6max :D Until this downswing started. Won like ten bucks at NL10 and moved up... I also think NL20 is where pokersoftware starts to appear. I mean well people DID call my aces in the beginning of my NL20 quest. I might be wrong tho.

SNGs are fun, yeah... Quite easy to play at microbuyins like 0.20+0.04.. Take a lot of time though.

Yeah, i think i really WAS on tilt.... You are right guys. Calmed down a little when i posted that topic. Think i need to take a break.. Like 2-3 days without poker at all.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Did you play NL20 at $160? That will smash you in one hell of a hurry if you get on a minor downswing.

By proper BRM you should still be grinding out 5c tables.
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MiddleofNowhere
      Won like ten bucks at NL10 and moved up...
      So is that $50 + $10? If so, that is nowhere near proper bankroll management. A $50 swing at NL20 is normal, it's only a 2 Buy-in swing. You're supposed to have a roll somewhere around $400. To a person with good BRM this would just be a dip in the road, but to you, it almost equates to BUSTO!!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by midgetjay
      Won like ten bucks at NL10 and moved up...
      So is that $50 + $10? If so, that is nowhere near proper bankroll management. A $50 swing at NL20 is normal, it's only a 2 Buy-in swing. You're supposed to have a roll somewhere around $400. To a person with good BRM this would just be a dip in the road, but to you, it almost equates to BUSTO!!
      Its painful though... oh the pain.... especially when you are throwing money away :( (sorry I am hijacking to vent of my donkey plays)

Yeah anyways BRM!
      See I got like 900$+ so I don't care about losing like 40$, well except that I wanna smash my head in with a brick for being the idiot I am.

Simple BRM:

50$ is NL2
      100$ is NL5
      200$ is NL10
      500$ is NL20 or you can take shots at NL25
      1k$ you can take shots at NL50

Stick to that and you won't go busto... well unless you play like me for a month straight or so.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I know how you feel. I got it a lot today and yesterday. When you have AA, KK or AK everyone folds and you only get the big and small blind (when you're often the big blind yourself) and when someone calls with 45s or something like that they get a flush or straight.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Switch to FL SH - it's only min bets every hand so the variance is minimal in each hand.
    • MiddleofNowhere
      MiddleofNowhere
      Bronze
      I in fact played shortstack strategy. So my buyins were not $20 but $4,50. The "go down to NL10" limit for SSS players is $60 bucks so i decided to give it a shot and thought I was pretty successful. Hell yeah, i needed at least six times as much to be safe. Good lesson learned. Now i see how dumb can a guy like me be when he catches a nice upswing. Got errr... *drunk?* with success and luck.

You are all quite right guys. After two days without poker i feel a lot better and see lots of things i couldn't notice through my frustration.

Fixed Limit SH? What's the clue about variance there? What i dislike there is that people just never ever fold so an underdog may hit his nuts on the river which is sick. I don't have much trouble folding, however, so it could be easier for me if i play only hit-flop top hands.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Fixed Limit SH? What's the clue about variance there? What i dislike there is that people just never ever fold so an underdog may hit his nuts on the river which is sick. I don't have much trouble folding, however, so it could be easier for me if i play only hit-flop top hands.
      Sorry MoN... it was irony - FLSH is the definition of variance. Which is why we FL players are all so rugged and good looking. :P
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Sorry MoN... it was irony - FLSH is the definition of variance. Which is why we FL players are all so rugged and good looking. :P
      and which explains the min-raises on NL SH.... :P
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      and which explains the min-raises on NL SH.... :P
      Exactly... treat these with extreme caution because a rugged (and good looking) FL player is about to pwn you. :D
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I don't get it, guys. I just don't.
      Can't you call it a day and quit after you lose 4 buy ins? And resist the need to play the same day? Come back in a day or two and you'll be kicking ass again.
      I mean... I play with the SSS and yesterday I lost $27 (slightly more than 5 BI cause I thought I had lost only $20 when I closed all the tables). I reviewed the losing hands - AK vs crap or pairs 2 times, QQ vs 22 and a 2 on the turn, KK ran into AA. I thought it's ok. I didn't play the whole day. And today I thought "Well I might do a little play see how this goes". In a little more than 500 hands I was up $42 but got bored and quit it for the day.

I mean... If you lose more than 4 BI you're on your way to tilting so bad you wont even notice it. It comes in the form of "I can raise this A9 suited from the CO" or "Hell 88 is good to raise with from MP1 and I've got to get back some of my money"... Or my favorite "Fuck I've got AK and hit nothing on the flop, but he's betting, he just can't have hit it AGAIN!!".

Just quit after 4 BI are lost and that's that. The rest is just whining.