3-betting min raises pre-flop

• Dragar
      Ok so a standard 3 bet is roughly 3 times the amount of a pre-flop raise.

But what if villain min-raises pre-flop to a total of 2x bb. 3 times this raise would be 6x bb. However, a standard raise would be 4x bb which would make the 3bet raise amount to 12x bb

Because of this my standard 3-bet pre-flop now is alot higher then 3x villain raise if his raise is just 2x bb.

Is this correct? I do not want villain holding weak pps and getting good odds to continue with it. I treat min-raises the same as limps and my 3-bet range is roughly the same against them, just a lot higher then 3x villain raise.

Sample hand:

Known players:  

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:club: , J:diamond: . MP3 posts a blind of $0.20.
      MP2 raises to $0.40, MP3 calls $0.20, CO calls $0.40, BU folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BB folds, MP2 raises to $9.65 (All-In), 3 folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.00

Do not judge the results in this, he slowplayed something. But usually is this the correct play? Also do not count this as a squeeze.. I would do the same IP to original raiser with raising it to around 1.5 or 1.8$.
  • 3 replies
    • Jaissica
      I dont like 3x a minraise as its pretty much our regular 4BB raise on top of the minraise... for some reason the hand judges in the hand forums say its correct though :)

I prefer to raise to something more in the normal 3-bet range as if they had made a proper raise, which is appropriate to push out call20 PP / suited connector hands. So $1.80 - $2.40.
    • TribunCaesar
      Well, it depends what you want to achieve. Think about that and you will find the right 3bet size. This is most affective if you don't have to balance. As an example: I recognized that players on PokerStars love to minraise on a regular basis in the Fr games. My adjustment to that are small 3bets( nobody can easily overcall), just to take the initiative and outplay them postflop IP.

Best regards,
    • nafar84
      tbh I just hit the "pot" button every time.

They basically fall into two main categories:

a) fish with some random mid-stack (I very rarely see a full stack who minraises) who like to open-minraise a lot of pots... in that case I treat their minraise as a limp and so a standard pot-sized isolation is enough. I wouldn't worry about giving them odds to call with pps or scs because with their stack sizes they haven't got the right odds plus they will stack off light most of the time anyway.

b) extremely passive players who wake up with a hand. You'll recognize it if it's the first preflop raise they've made in 85 hands lol. I only 3bet them with QQ+, AK and with any other hand I remain cautious and take a flop esp if I'm IP.