What to do if you play against donks ($10 SNGs)?

• 18 replies
    • lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      I guess you have to adjust their ranges - they do not care, what they should call with and if you pushed a lot, thay'll happilly call you not just any A, but any K, QT+, JT and might get even worse.

Just try to simulate the situation in SNGwiz with their adjusted ranges.

Edit: and about runnig to monsters - that just happens time to time
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hey TTT241,

This is the only problem when using ICM trainer and the likes. When you play poker you can't play the perfect nash ranges, because the people still to act wont be using exact ranges.

On the $10 games you have to adjust the ranges quite alot, and its something that will come with experiance. Theres no teaching it. As for you running bad, 30 buyin swings are pretty standard. I wouldn't worry aslong as you are playing good poker.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      you should be happy playing against donks is far better then playing against 3-5 regs on table
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miskokvo
      you should be happy playing against donks is far better then playing against 3-5 regs on table
      Honestly talking... I'd rather play reguluars or at least people that play the game properly then have a table with 70% donks.
      Nothing pisses me off more then being card dead until you've got like 10BB's left. Then shoving all-in with AK and getting called by J5o by some donk just because he lucked out a few times before and he thinks he has the stack to do so... if you're hand actually holds it don't matter, but 1/3 times it doesn't...
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Yeah, donks are annoying. It is also bad if there's only one of them shoving and overbetting all the time and he's to your right=) )))

I guess you either have to wait until they kick each other out or until you get the nuts and hope that holy Random will be on your side.
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      So basically suggestion would be play equillibrium ranges against regulars and significatly tight up agaist (pushing and calling ranges) against unknow player on this low levels?

I would not be worried about loosing 30BI, but in total I am down like 50BI (1/3rd of my roll). So I am thinking that I might be playing $10 level suboptimally.

Regards

TTT

• blue27raven
      blue27raven
      Bronze
      Hi TTT241,

I was wondering if you can help me with some info regarding the using of Poker Tracker3. I was interested in using it, but it seems that i can not figure what to do exactly and make the best out of it. Any hints?

Best regards,

Blue27raven
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      In what sense? I do not use it much for SNGs, mostly for FL. In SNGs I rather rely on my notes on oponents because soon you are in push/fold phase.

For SNGs I use it only for tracking of the results... and as a hand history/replayer.

TTT
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TTT241For SNGs I use it only for tracking of the results... and as a hand history/replayer.
      Does Pokertracker 3 actually scan your Pokerstars SnG results? Because I have to import them all manually.

I played some SnG's on Titan Poker earlier today as well with the free bankroll I got here, and those results were scanned without a problem in PT3. It just doesn't seem to be working properly for Pokerstars like that.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Silver
      I just had very much fun playing against donks in a 9 handed SnG. There were two big donks beating all my other opponents. They both had bigger stacks when we were with three. When one of them beat the other we both had around the same stack. I had a little bit more. I was BB get dealt 57, he calls. Flop: 468. I check. He bluffs. I call. Turn. I check he bluffs. I call. River:4. I check. He thinks "why can't I bluff him away?" and does a monster bluff. At that point he has only around 1000 chips left so I raise. He calls and goes all-in. I won and didn't see his cards, but probably he had one pair with an ace kicker or ace high. Maybe even another 4, but he didn't even think I might have a straight.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      It's good to play donks once you're 3handed or heads-up yeah... that's where you can really make the difference in these SnG's.
      You just have to be really careful in the early stages cause these people will play pretty much any 2 cards once they put chips in the pot. Especially on the first blind lvl you often see situations with 4 limpers, you raise to 5-6BB's from the button, and every limper + both blinds calling you. Unless you hit the flop very hard you can pretty much throw your cards away right there even if you're holding an over pair on the flop.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Silver
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      Originally posted by TTT241For SNGs I use it only for tracking of the results... and as a hand history/replayer.
      Does Pokertracker 3 actually scan your Pokerstars SnG results? Because I have to import them all manually.

I played some SnG's on Titan Poker earlier today as well with the free bankroll I got here, and those results were scanned without a problem in PT3. It just doesn't seem to be working properly for Pokerstars like that.
      Pokerstars dont produce summarys in the hand historey, so you have to request and enter the results manually. A bit anoying yes...but it doesnt take to long.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      depends on how much you play obviously ^^ :D
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm

Pokerstars dont produce summarys in the hand historey, so you have to request and enter the results manually. A bit anoying yes...but it doesnt take to long.
      How/Where do you do that? I wanted to see my graph on pokertracker and saw like $600 down and was like wtf $600 in a week lol.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      Originally posted by jonnyjm

How/Where do you do that? I wanted to see my graph on pokertracker and saw like $600 down and was like wtf $600 in a week lol.
      Find out how many tournament results are missing, then go to pokerstars lobby click on request, tournament history (not hand history) and type in request "x" number of last tounaments, they'll send you an email, copy n paste it into a txt file, seperate from ur hand histories, then go to manual import n import it through there.
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      What I ussually do is that I import tourney results and Tourney summary from the email... it is little annoying that you have to double click every email, but it works for me and I got results in PT3 very fast...

TTT
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQTFind out how many tournament results are missing, then go to pokerstars lobby click on request, tournament history (not hand history) and type in request "x" number of last tounaments, they'll send you an email, copy n paste it into a txt file, seperate from ur hand histories, then go to manual import n import it through there.
      And here I was... writing all my results down on paper to import em in PT later while I could've just requested them Pokerstars directly. :D
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQTFind out how many tournament results are missing, then go to pokerstars lobby click on request, tournament history (not hand history) and type in request "x" number of last tounaments, they'll send you an email, copy n paste it into a txt file, seperate from ur hand histories, then go to manual import n import it through there.
      And here I was... writing all my results down on paper to import em in PT later while I could've just requested them Pokerstars directly. :D

this one made me laugh:-)