This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL25] Bad beat or bad play? Please, comment.

• Hombre2016
      Hombre2016
      Bronze
      888 Poker - $0.20 NL - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 123.9 BB (VPIP: 21.62, PFR: 17.27, 3Bet Preflop: 4.89, Hands: 4,794)
      Hero (SB): 107.95 BB
      BB: 132.7 BB (VPIP: 16.06, PFR: 5.11, 3Bet Preflop: 1.88, Hands: 1,683)
      UTG: 143.25 BB (VPIP: 25.81, PFR: 18.28, 3Bet Preflop: 4.32, Hands: 381)
      MP: 75.45 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
      CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.48, PFR: 13.46, 3Bet Preflop: 4.33, Hands: 1,496)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero raises to 27 BB, BB calls 18 BB

Flop: (54 BB, 2 players) 2:club: Q:club: J:club:
      Hero bets 54 BB, BB calls 54 BB

Turn: (162 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero bets 26.95 BB and is all-in, BB calls 26.95 BB

River: (215.9 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:

Hero shows Q:diamond: Q:heart: (Three of a Kind, Queens)
      (Pre 81%, Flop 70%, Turn 23%)
      BB shows T:spade: T:club: (Flush, King High)
      (Pre 19%, Flop 30%, Turn 77%)
      BB wins 205.15 BB

So, here are my thoughts about this hand. I had about 2K hands history with the opponent and his stast look like VP16/PR5/3B2. From history, I can see that he 3Bet vs steal with TT and AKs . In general, 3Bet with KK, AKs and AKos as well.

My first question here is - Was it a mistake my 4Bet (27BB) compared to a shove? I don't think I had to just call his 3Bet.

I think on the flop, where I still had the best hand, the shove for about 150BB would be a better chance to make the opponent fold. Instead I bet a pot size about 100BB and he called after a long time in the tank. I had only 25BB left for the turn. Please, post your comments.

From his point of view, calling a pot size bet on the flop with TT and flush draw might be not so optimal play. What do you think? He also can't be sure that his flush is good. I might have AK of clubs or AAc or even KKc.

This is my first post in the forum. I would appreciate your comments, questions or advice.

Thanks
      code:
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      HI
      Hombre2016 ,
      Welcome to the PokerStrategy.com forums! :welcome:

Disclaimer: I am NOT a coach!

OTF:
      We bet to get worse hands to call, or to get better hands to fold.
      We succeeded. No better hands would fold.
      Also, we charge a high price for him to draw to a flush.

But: We lose to made flushes

OTT:
      I'm not surprised villain calls. Only :Ac: beats him on that board.

I'm interested in hearing what others say though

Cheers,
      VS
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Very interesting spot.
      Preflop 4bet size may be too big, it's always debatable, but I 4bet QQ too SB vs BB.
      It is a 4bet pot, you have top set on that board OOP. I usually check-call OOP on regular pots, even in 3bet pots. Here, I really don't know. Bet for protection makes some sense, being raised not so much.
      The turn is absolutely awful. There are made straights and flushes, both of you are commited after the flop bet.
      You did bet pot OTF with the intention of shoving turn on a good card right?
      I'd prefer to just shove flop if I am to bet, it will be an exactly 150% of the pot bet.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Hy Hombre. First of all I play NL2, so don’t take this as suggestion, it’s just my thought process, but maybe it help you.

If he 3bet so tight, and flat TT vs our 4bet, then we shouldn’t bluff 4bet him at all. That means we don’t have a reason to 4bet with smaller sizing. Should we shove 4bet entire range or 3x it? I don’t have enough knoledge to answer that.

Flop is from my perspective much easier question. You have top set in 4betted pot and you’re not very deep. Flop is awfull so you can’t bet small, and if you bet big you’re commited on turn. Only way to play it in my eyes is to ship it right away.

I hope this was helpfull..
    • Hombre2016
      Hombre2016
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zetozinho
      Very interesting spot.
      Preflop 4bet size may be too big, it's always debatable, but I 4bet QQ too SB vs BB.
      It is a 4bet pot, you have top set on that board OOP. I usually check-call OOP on regular pots, even in 3bet pots. Here, I really don't know. Bet for protection makes some sense, being raised not so much.
      The turn is absolutely awful. There are made straights and flushes, both of you are commited after the flop bet.
      You did bet pot OTF with the intention of shoving turn on a good card right?
      I'd prefer to just shove flop if I am to bet, it will be an exactly 150% of the pot bet.
      I agree with your last sentence. I think that was the only mistake that I made, I had to shove on the flop. There is no point of having 25BB left behind. I am not sure if the opponent would fold if that was the case, but for sure it could help.
      Since you are saying the 4Bet might be too big, what size would you have in mind?
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      I usually 4bet something like 2.2 to 2.5x.
      Against loose callers a big size might be ok, which is common at the micros.
      Sizings are not my expertise and is definitely one of the most difficult chapters of the game. So don't take me too serious on this.